Hurricane Irene :(

Options
Stuck in the house this weekend all by myself because of Hurricane Irene!! Fiance' has to work all weekend. Hope I dont get bored enough to eat everything in the house!! Any ideas on how to keep busy?!

Replies

• whisperingdragon
    Options
    May I ask, where you are located?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    MFP Chat Boards
    Knit/Craft of any sort?
    Organize the pile of photos or the file of photos on your computer
    Spring Clean for the Winter - this can be good sweaty exercise :)
    Come clean my house where there is no hurricane (just a thought)
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    hey, when i lived in florida we threw hurricane parties. up to category 3 that is..anything stronger than that was evac time. hehe
  • jlaquinn
    jlaquinn Posts: 13
    Options
    located in Portsmouth, Virginia. Its suppose to be hitting late night tonight early morning tomorrow :(

I will try cleaning (which I hate) lol Hope the power doesnt go out tho.. then Im screwed!!
  • terryrob2
    terryrob2 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    ITS NERVE RACKING BUT HANG IN THERE USE TO LIVE IN NC NEAR THE OUTER BANKS TRY POPSICLES FRUIT MAYBE A GLASS OF WINE TO CALM THE NERVES JUST WHAT I TOLD MY FAMILY WHO'S IN VA WERE IN MICHIGAN MISSING THE ACTION GOOD LUCK
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    at least Irene didn't eat your Birthday :grumble: lol
  • Queen_Christine
    Queen_Christine Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Stay safe!
  • Merrymel
    Merrymel Posts: 15
    Options
    Our evacuations usually consist of anywhere from 4-14 people in one house. Everyone brings their own hurricane food. Then we all SHARE!. Bad bad tradition. We cook and eat until there is no power, then we bbq, cook out on butane burner and big black pot. Hell even when we hit real hard like Katrina,l Gustave,or way back to Betsy, our ways of eating plenty and eating good never stops.Hurricane food is the best in South Louisiana you have to clean out the freezer and cook and share the food so its not lost. But it is not always the healthiest. I pray that your safe and the whole East Coast is spared the brunt of this storm.
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I go lo tech. I have hand weights and a physioball for workouts, and I knit and bead during my down time (which is rare). I also love a good read. I feel for you, being that you are in VA--first the earthquake, now the storm. Stay safe and congrats on your upcoming wedding.
  • marquesajen
    Options
    I plan on cleaning, crocheting, and reading with a cup of tea by my side. If it hasn't started where you are run to the library for some books or maybe get some craft stuff to play with.
  • kristinaohno
    kristinaohno Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i'm anticipating the hurricane too. i live on the Jersey Shore, we have a direct hit. i'm going to my boyfriends to be safe, but he's still close to the shore. anywho, if you have power, why don't you dance around? put on your favorite tunes and just dance it out! that way you'll be having fun and burning calories, keeping your mind off of eating! good luck and stay safe!
  • msjersey73
    msjersey73 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    i am cleaning. everything. literally. Stay safe, stay smart :-)
  • Comfortableme
    Comfortableme Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Having lived on the east coast for may years and experienced what you will be going through, first and foremost, make sure you are safe. Also, there have been so many great suggestions, I would like to add just a few more. First, make sure you have candles and something to light the candles with in case you lose power. Dancing and any kind of moving will help take your mind off the storm. It is a great time clean out closets and draws and make the three piles, stays, donate, and throw away. This really takes your mind off of what is happening outside. Good luck and most of all stay safe!!
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Good time to go through the pantry and get rid of any unhealthy foods that might be hanging around!
  • jlaquinn
    jlaquinn Posts: 13
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions!! Im trying my best.. I slept longer than usually today to past some time.. Its getting bad here.. flooding, high winds and power outages. My power is still on, but just had my first light flicker (not a good sign) I think Im gonna hop on the treadmill for an hr to kill some time and to get a work out in before I have no power.
  • cuddlyrunner
    cuddlyrunner Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    My son has been out in the USA in Maine doing Camp America and is currently in a downtown youth hostel New York due to fly home to the UK on Wednesday.
    I'm worried!