The no BS approach to weight loss.

Options
The no bs approach to losing weight. Lets look at all the weight loss diet out there.

Atkins – This is a diet that is high in protein and low in carbs. Why this method works. Protein uses 30% of calories to digest. What this means is if you eat 1000 calories from protein 700 calories get absorbed the other 300 go to digestion. This diet is also high in fat. Fat releases CCK(Cholecystokinin) which helps you feel full for a longer period of time. Protein also helps keep you full.

Cons – Protein uses a lot of fluid to digest, this will lead to constipation. Since it’s dehydrating it can put a lot of stress on the kidneys which can lead to kidney stones or more severe kidney issues.

Controlled Portions – This diet you eat whatever you want but in a limited amount. This works because of its caloric deficit which all dieting methods are based on.

Cons- I personally don’t like this method. The issue with this diet is you can eat twinkles and cupcakes all day and lose weight assuming you’re under your caloric limit. I don’t believe this is healthy. This diet can also be used in a healthy manner, it depends how you implement it.

Of course there are other diet methods such as, CKD, Ketosis diet, Dukan diet, South Beach, Paleolithic diet, they all fall in to these 2 categories. Reducing carbs, or reducing calories. Here’s the kicker, eating too many carbs will increase insulin, also eating too many calories will also increase insulin. All these diets are designed to target insulin.

Insulin is referred to as a storage hormone. When you eat carbs(sugar) it will convert in the body to glucose(blood sugar) your body sense this blood sugar in the body and insulin is released to clear the blood of this sugar. It stores it in muscles as glycogen but if your muscle stores are full, it will convert glucose in to fat. As I mentioned eating too many calories also increases insulin. Now you know why these diets are the way they are.

Some people criticize one diet over another. I promise you I can find flaws in your diet, even in my diet. No reason to bash someone’s diet. What a person eats is their personal business and their choice. This brings you to the topic of “what is healthy?” “Generally” a diet in whole foods, this means foods that are in their most natural state. Fresh fruits, vegetables, and lean cuts of meat. Red meats have been linked to colon cancer, so stay away from those. Research is now showing carbs to be the culprit of heart disease. The sugar in the blood scars our blood vessels causing cholesterol to stick and form a clot. A ton of our hormonal processes run on cholesterol, anabolic steroids are based off of cholesterol. This means it can help build muscle mass. Supposedly people with high cholesterol live longer assuming there is no scared tissue.

A few myth’s I want to debunk.

1. Starvation mode- Yes the biggest debate on the forums. The theory is “if you don’t eat enough calories you will store body fat, lose muscle mass, and slow down your metabolism. ” If this was true, lapband, gastric bypass, and doctors who recommend VLCD(Very Low Calorie Diets) wouldn’t work. Any professional bodybuilder would tell you, muscle mass loss is almost inevitable on a reduce caloric diet; this will cause your metabolism to slow down. You will also weight less meaning you burn fewer calories. If I went from a 3000 calorie diet down to a 2000 calorie diet, I will suffer from some degree of these symptoms. So I guess I must be in starvation mode eating 2000 calories a day. Very low calorie diets can lead to malnutrition, this isn’t starvation mode, this is something else.

2. Eating 5-6 times a day speeds up your metabolism- This is one of the biggest lies started by the meal replacement shakes. They wanted you to buy their meal replacement shakes because it’s a “quick meal” which you can consume in between meals. If I eat 2000 calories in 1 meal, or 10 meals, I still consumed 2000 calories, I still use the same amount of calories to digest it, weather it be in 1 meal or 10 meals. It makes no difference.

If you read in between the lines you’d notice one thing in everything I said, it all boils down to a reduced caloric diet, there is no way around it.

Rules to follow for weight loss

1. Don’t go to hungry or you will more than likely binge.
2. Don’t drink your calories
3. Make sure you exercise.
4. Eat more vegetables
5. Drink a lot of water
6. Stay away from processed foods.
7. Be patient, don't focus on how far you have to go, focus on how far you have come.

I personally don’t believe in setting weight loss goals in terms of time. For example “I am going to lose 10lbs this month” You can’t control how much weight you lose, all you can control is what you eat, and when you exercise. Accept what you get, when you resist you get frustrated, disappointed and this can lead to giving up.

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    like! :)
  • Trixtabella
    Trixtabella Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    The no bs approach to losing weight. Lets look at all the weight loss diet out there.

Atkins – This is a diet that is high in protein and low in carbs. Why this method works. Protein uses 30% of calories to digest. What this means is if you eat 1000 calories from protein 700 calories get absorbed the other 300 go to digestion. This diet is also high in fat. Fat releases CCK(Cholecystokinin) which helps you feel full for a longer period of time. Protein also helps keep you full.

Cons – Protein uses a lot of fluid to digest, this will lead to constipation. Since it’s dehydrating it can put a lot of stress on the kidneys which can lead to kidney stones or more severe kidney issues.

Controlled Portions – This diet you eat whatever you want but in a limited amount. This works because of its caloric deficit which all dieting methods are based on.

Cons- I personally don’t like this method. The issue with this diet is you can eat twinkles and cupcakes all day and lose weight assuming you’re under your caloric limit. I don’t believe this is healthy. This diet can also be used in a healthy manner, it depends how you implement it.

Of course there are other diet methods such as, CKD, Ketosis diet, Dukan diet, South Beach, Paleolithic diet, they all fall in to these 2 categories. Reducing carbs, or reducing calories. Here’s the kicker, eating too many carbs will increase insulin, also eating too many calories will also increase insulin. All these diets are designed to target insulin.

Insulin is referred to as a storage hormone. When you eat carbs(sugar) it will convert in the body to glucose(blood sugar) your body sense this blood sugar in the body and insulin is released to clear the blood of this sugar. It stores it in muscles as glycogen but if your muscle stores are full, it will convert glucose in to fat. As I mentioned eating too many calories also increases insulin. Now you know why these diets are the way they are.

Some people criticize one diet over another. I promise you I can find flaws in your diet, even in my diet. No reason to bash someone’s diet. What a person eats is their personal business and their choice. This brings you to the topic of “what is healthy?” “Generally” a diet in whole foods, this means foods that are in their most natural state. Fresh fruits, vegetables, and lean cuts of meat. Red meats have been linked to colon cancer, so stay away from those. Research is now showing carbs to be the culprit of heart disease. The sugar in the blood scars our blood vessels causing cholesterol to stick and form a clot. A ton of our hormonal processes run on cholesterol, anabolic steroids are based off of cholesterol. This means it can help build muscle mass. Supposedly people with high cholesterol live longer assuming there is no scared tissue.

A few myth’s I want to debunk.

1. Starvation mode- Yes the biggest debate on the forums. The theory is “if you don’t eat enough calories you will store body fat, lose muscle mass, and slow down your metabolism. ” If this was true, lapband, gastric bypass, and doctors who recommend VLCD(Very Low Calorie Diets) wouldn’t work. Any time you reduce your calories, and professional bodybuilder would tell you, muscle mass loss is almost inevitable; this will cause your metabolism to slow down. You will also weight less meaning you burn fewer calories. If I went from a 3000 calorie diet down to a 2000 calorie diet, I will suffer from some degree of these symptoms. So I guess I must be in starvation mode eating 2000 calories a day. Very low calorie diets can lead to malnutrition, this isn’t starvation mode, this is something else.

2. Eating 5-6 times a day speeds up your metabolism- This is one of the biggest lies started by the meal replacement shakes. They wanted you to buy their meal replacement shakes because it’s a “quick meal” which you can consume in between meals. If I eat 2000 calories in 1 meal, or 10 meals, I still consumed 2000 calories, I still use the same amount of calories to digest it, weather it be in 1 meal or 10 meals. It makes no difference.

If you read in between the lines you’d notice one thing in everything I said, it all boils down to a reduced caloric diet, there is no way around it.

4. Eat more vegetables
    5. Drink a lot of water

This is a really good post, one that I actually found really interesting to read. Probally given me the kick up my backside to start eating a little cleaner than I ususally do.
  • gdr1976
    gdr1976 Posts: 460 Member
    Options

However eating 5-6 times a day does help regulate your blood sugar so you're not high or crashing
  • portexploit
    portexploit Posts: 378 Member
    Options

However eating 5-6 times a day does help regulate your blood sugar so you're not high or crashing

It depends on the type of carbs you eat. Eat time you eat insulin will increase, causing a yoyo effect. In general there are some benefits to eating multiple meals a day. If you go to long with out a meal you are more likely to binge. I personally do intermittent fasting, I don't eat till 5pm.
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options

It can also help people with underactive thyroid where medication isn't totally effective, but I get the point that for some people it doesn't really make much difference and there is nothing to prove it speeds metabolism. The only reason it works for hypothyroid patients is due to inadequacies in their own metabolism and not because of any "magic" metabolism boosting effects.

A great post and a good point about bloodsugar too.
  • portexploit
    Options

It can also help people with underactive thyroid where medication isn't totally effective, but I get the point that for some people it doesn't really make much difference and there is nothing to prove it speeds metabolism. The only reason it works for hypothyroid patients is due to inadequacies in their own metabolism and not because of any "magic" metabolism boosting effects.

A great post and a good point about bloodsugar too.

Thank you, and I never thought of that. It would trigger the thyroid i to action. It would help in that case.
  • Visser1971
    Visser1971 Posts: 131
    Options
    Great post, very true.

My best tip: When you shop, DO NOT go into the middle of the store as much as possible, stay at the edges where the fresh veggies and fresh meats are located!

Cheers, Christy
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Well said. I try to do a semi-Volumetrics thing--stuff that has a higher water-to-calorie ratio (like soups and veggies) as "fillers". For me that really does help me not to get so hungry so fast. Just have to keep it clean and low in sodium and no added sugars.
  • carriecarrot
    carriecarrot Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Good post.

The reason people believe the Starvation Diet myth is because of diminishing returns in weight loss. The more you lower your calorie consumption, the slower your metabolism will be, and the less efficient your body will be at burning fat. That doesn't mean a person doesn't lose more weight on a 800cal/a day diet than a 1200cal/a day diet, but the 800 cal dieter will lose less weight RELATIVE to the amount of calories cut AND risk nutrition deficiency/hunger/weakness. In this sense, I do agree with those who think your net calories should be at least 1200.
  • Ellenorm
    Ellenorm Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Brilliant post!
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    SuperScrabbleGirl Posts: 310 Member
    Options

Argh! Thank you! This has been bothering me for ages. I can't do the regular meals throughout the day thing, so this is good news for me.

Also, the 'Starvation Mode' thing has been bothering me for a while too.
  • portexploit
    Options
    Good post.

The reason people believe the Starvation Diet myth is because of diminishing returns in weight loss. The more you lower your calorie consumption, the slower your metabolism will be, and the less efficient your body will be at burning fat. That doesn't mean a person doesn't lose more weight on a 800cal/a day diet than a 1200cal/a day diet, but the 800 cal dieter will lose less weight RELATIVE to the amount of calories cut AND risk nutrition deficiency/hunger/weakness. In this sense, I do agree with those who think your net calories should be at least 1200.

Yes I did touch on health issues in terms of malnutrition. I don't understand what you mean by relative to the amount of calorie cut.
  • carriecarrot
    carriecarrot Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Meaning that a person who consumes 800 calories will lose more weight than the one who consumes 1200 calories, but will lose proportionately less weight.

This article explains it better:

http://www.weightwatchers.com/templates/print.aspx?PageId=1211021&PrintFlag=yes&previewDate=1/4/2011

Restricting calories during weight loss lowers metabolism1 because the body becomes more efficient, requiring fewer calories to perform the necessary daily functions for survival. Consequently, this can slow (but not stop) the anticipated rate of weight loss.

For example, if an individual needs 2,000 calories per day to maintain weight, reducing intake to 1,500 calories, assuming exercise stays the same, should provide a 1 pound per week weight loss (Note: 1 pound of weight is equivalent to about 3,500 calories). Furthermore, reducing to 1,000 calories should result in a weight loss of 2 pounds per week and going down to 500 calories a day should result in a weight loss of 3 pounds per week. However, if an individual actually reduces their intake to 500 calories, the weight loss would not likely be a steady 3 pounds per week because of the reduced metabolic rate. It would likely be around 2¼ to 2½ pounds. This "lower than expected" rate of weight loss is a lot different than "no" weight loss as the "starvation mode" notion proposes."
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

It depends on the type of carbs you eat. Eat time you eat insulin will increase, causing a yoyo effect. In general there are some benefits to eating multiple meals a day. If you go to long with out a meal you are more likely to binge. I personally do intermittent fasting, I don't eat till 5pm.

Thanks for the great post. I also do intermittent fasting (though I cheat with coffee with a bit of sugar). It's pretty easy for me because I don't even feel hungry until after work - 6 or 7. Then I try to eat something high in protein as my first mini meal to prevent a glucose rush (this prevents a carb craving for me) and to fill me up a bit. Then I'll eat some carbs shortly thereafter. Seems to work for me but maybe not for everyone.
  • ZStardust
    Options
    About the 5 meals a day: I totally agree as an overweight person it seems like my life is continually focused around food, this way of eating just continues that cycle, and for me, the more times I eat the more chances I have of falling off the wagon, so I also do what I am assuming is being referred to as intermittent fasting. I try and really wait to eat until I am hungry(usually around 3pm)then when I do it I don't just dive in. Most times I'll start with a water based protein drink, that usually tides me over for a few hours hours then I stick to a high protein low carb routine. This has worked well for me. I lost about 150 lbs almost 13 years ago and my weight since then has fluctuated between 155-140. I am still tying to get to 130, I guess it never ends!
    Oh, one more thing: Starvation mode myth, here here ! Sorry, and no disrespect to anyone but I agree, it's just one more lie. I have overweight friends and it kills me to hear them say " I haven't eaten enough today, I better eat something before I go into starvation mode." Really? I didn't get to be 300lbs by putting myself into starvation mode and neither are they! It does a true disservice to the millions of human beings that a truly starving!
  • ladybug11
    ladybug11 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    About the 5 meals a day: I totally agree as an overweight person it seems like my life is continually focused around food, this way of eating just continues that cycle, and for me, the more times I eat the more chances I have of falling off the wagon, so I also do what I am assuming is being referred to as intermittent fasting. I try and really wait to eat until I am hungry(usually around 3pm)then when I do it I don't just dive in. Most times I'll start with a water based protein drink, that usually tides me over for a few hours hours then I stick to a high protein low carb routine. This has worked well for me. I lost about 150 lbs almost 13 years ago and my weight since then has fluctuated between 155-140. I am still tying to get to 130, I guess it never ends!
    Oh, one more thing: Starvation mode myth, here here ! Sorry, and no disrespect to anyone but I agree, it's just one more lie. I have overweight friends and it kills me to hear them say " I haven't eaten enough today, I better eat something before I go into starvation mode." Really? I didn't get to be 300lbs by putting myself into starvation mode and neither are they! It does a true disservice to the millions of human beings that a truly starving!

That is a fantastic accomplishment! And with the determination it sounds like you have, you'll reach your goal weight! I have been reading a lot on the forums about intermittent fasting and am intrigued. I do wonder, however, if I can do this as a distance runner. I run anywhere from 10 - 20 miles on my long runs each week and feel I need gels and raw almonds to sustain me. Just wondering.
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Bump... that's an interesting question.
  • HappyLuna
    HappyLuna Posts: 112
    Options

4. Eat more vegetables
    5. Drink a lot of water
    7. Be patient, don't focus on how far you have to go, focus on how far you have come.

These rules are great and are the most important things to remember. Diets debates, starvation mode debates ect can actually confuse people and hinder with their weightloss and they are always trying new things to try and speed things up, or think what they are doing is wrong.

These rules are the only way you achieve sustainable weightloss. The rest of the post is uneceassary in my opinion :wink:
  • carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Great post! I especially love these rules. :)

4. Eat more vegetables
    5. Drink a lot of water