Salt cravings??

Options
carajo
carajo Posts: 532 Member
I would not call myself a person that craves salt, but lately i am! My workouts are pretty intense(alot of sweat) would you guess my body is trying to replace the salt i am losing? If you asked me before I started eating clean, what types of food i craved, it would definately be sweets, but not anymore...its salty foods! Any thoughts? THANKS!!!

Replies

• UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Pretzels are great snack if you are craving salt. Also olives and pickles.
  • kyleskrinak
    kyleskrinak Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    That's a hoot, I've had the same cravings as well, now that I've curbed my ice-cream at 10 pm habit. They nearly always come in the evening after I should be done with eating, too, so I just bear through it.
  • Stripycat
    Stripycat Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yep - when I'm doing 10k runs I could eat crisps 'til they come out of my ears.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    My workouts are pretty intense(alot of sweat) would you guess my body is trying to replace the salt i am losing?

Most likely this is it.
    If you don't want to actually eat salty snacks, maybe look into a sports drink. It's not just salt you are losing through sweat, it's potassium and electrolytes as well.
    Try eating a potato, that will fix your potassium and the craving might go away.
  • Frankie3333
    Frankie3333 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    i love olives!! Also, sometimes i drink an 8 oz can of G2 gatorade. It really helps with my energy
  • osubass1
    Options
    it's so comical for me to read this because it's happening to me, as well.

previously, i wasn't a really big salt person. would use it quite sparingly. i started my journey down this better path around 10 weeks ago. ever since i dropped the sweets and sweet drinks, i've been craving Gatorade and crackers.

you could drop a salt lick in front of me, and a bottle of Gatorade, and i'm good!

thanks for this post...helped me realize it's normal.