question for the runners!

Options
i have finally gotten to where i can run a 5k distance on a regular basis (once or twice a week along with a couple 3 mile runs broken into segments). i started having some tightness and pain in the front of my hip area and figured out it is my psoas on the left side. i've been taking a break from running for the past few days to let it heal since it was only getting worse every time i went running. the pain has decreased dramatically and i no longer have pain when i'm sitting or standing and rising from a seated position causes no pain. one week from now is my first 5k race. should i continue to rest up until my race or should i do some running before i go to test out the muscle? i'm really afraid if i try to run too soon i will end up injured and unable to run! i really don't want to miss my very first 5k!

Replies

• tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    The tightness and pain sounds like it might be due to your IT band. This is a very common problem with runners but you will find relief by doing the exercises. Try Googling some. Any issues I have, whether it be knees, lower back, hips, is always due to my IT band and with stretching it out daily about a mile into a run, and after a run for sure, you can prevent this pain. I have stopped in races to do a few quick stretches when it hurts and it really helps. It's worth a try anyways and see how you feel in a couple days.

If your race is in a week and you know you can run the distance already, then I would concentrate on resting it, and stretching it out. Maybe go for a really easy run 3 days before if you feel better, but stretch it all out. I think that will be a big help for you.

A foam roller is also a good investment. It will massage your IT band.

Good luck on your 5K!!!!
  • nikibob
    nikibob Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    The tightness and pain sounds like it might be due to your IT band. This is a very common problem with runners but you will find relief by doing the exercises. Try Googling some. Any issues I have, whether it be knees, lower back, hips, is always due to my IT band and with stretching it out daily about a mile into a run, and after a run for sure, you can prevent this pain. I have stopped in races to do a few quick stretches when it hurts and it really helps. It's worth a try anyways and see how you feel in a couple days.

If your race is in a week and you know you can run the distance already, then I would concentrate on resting it, and stretching it out. Maybe go for a really easy run 3 days before if you feel better, but stretch it all out. I think that will be a big help for you.

A foam roller is also a good investment. It will massage your IT band.

Good luck on your 5K!!!!

thank you so much for the advice! i really don't think its my IT band tho, its not on the outside of my leg, its on the front, right in the crease when you sit, halway between the groin and the outside of my leg. i could be wrong but everything i could find online suggests the psoas.. i've not been running very long tho so it wouldn't surprise me to be wrong here! lol
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I have been fortunate enough in my running to not have serious injury (I'll exclude my faceplant on the sidewalk this morning then knock on wood). I do, however, tend to take it easy during the week before a race. A race distance race today, shorter on Monday and a real quick, remind the legs about running on Wednesday. Then race my @$$ off on Saturday.

Personally, if I were coming off an injury like you describe, I'd probably try walking today and maybe a jog tomorrow depending on how I felt. But, like I said, I have no real experience with injury serious enough to make me not run and I yield to the advice of the more seasoned veterans you'll likely get here.
  • ladybug11
    ladybug11 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    The week of my race, I usually do a short run Monday, shorter Tuesday, walk Wednesday and Thursday, rest Friday, race Saturday. Considering your injury, I would try a 1.5 - 2 mile walk Monday, a 1.5 - 2 mile run Tuesday, walk 1 mile each Wednesday and Thursday, rest Friday.

One thing that really helped condition my muscles and stretch them is post-run yoga. My hip flexors, in particular. Just something you may want to incorporate in the future.

Good luck on your first official race!!! Be careful, it's addictive!
  • nikibob
    Options
    I have been fortunate enough in my running to not have serious injury (I'll exclude my faceplant on the sidewalk this morning then knock on wood). I do, however, tend to take it easy during the week before a race. A race distance race today, shorter on Monday and a real quick, remind the legs about running on Wednesday. Then race my @$$ off on Saturday.

Personally, if I were coming off an injury like you describe, I'd probably try walking today and maybe a jog tomorrow depending on how I felt. But, like I said, I have no real experience with injury serious enough to make me not run and I yield to the advice of the more seasoned veterans you'll likely get here.

thanks for your advice!!
  • nikibob
    Options
    The week of my race, I usually do a short run Monday, shorter Tuesday, walk Wednesday and Thursday, rest Friday, race Saturday. Considering your injury, I would try a 1.5 - 2 mile walk Monday, a 1.5 - 2 mile run Tuesday, walk 1 mile each Wednesday and Thursday, rest Friday.

One thing that really helped condition my muscles and stretch them is post-run yoga. My hip flexors, in particular. Just something you may want to incorporate in the future.

Good luck on your first official race!!! Be careful, it's addictive!

thank you for your help! i have recently found a yoga routine that i like. i had been trying to get into it and just couldn't because my legs were so tight it was extremely uncomfortable and all i could think was--i thought this was supposed to be relaxing?? lol but i will try to get that done more often and see if it helps. thank you!