Fat Head

Options
bcattoes
bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
So, I saw this documentary last night. I don't get it. A skinny comedian does a documentary where he eats nothing but McD for a month and gains weight and his health suffers (shocking!). So, fat comedian retaliates several years later with a long commercial for McD where he eats McD and other fatty foods, but makes sure to keep his calories low and loses weight (again, shocking!). And THIS is what so many people use as their food guide? Comedians? Seriously?

Replies

• sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    It's business. Business is profitable, not logical, sensible, or healthful.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    How many people get their only news from the Daily show and Colbert?
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Sum it up in one word: ignorance.
  • carriecarrot
    carriecarrot Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I think comedians have an appreciation for irony. I just think the Fat Head guy thinks the documentary "Super Size Me" is ridiculous. He has some points. I do think that some of his other claims are questionable such as his claim of vegetarians influencing the government food pyramid, and his claim that cholesterol and saturated fat doesn't cause heart disease and atherosclerosis. He also points out that Indians are vegetarians and have the highest heart disease in the world, but using that evidence is a fallacy because studies suggest that this cause is genetic.

But the one thing the Fat Head guy does well is expose how stupid SuperSize Me is. If you made hamburgers and deep fried french fries at home, it would be just as bad for you. It's stupid to point fingers at fast food. Personally, I know how to get a reasonably healthy meal at McDonald's but if someone wants to eat a Big Mac and a large fries, then that should be their choice. Another good point he makes is about fat and how it is crucial for your health... He also talks about insulin resistance, but he definitely isn't the first to talk about it... He is incorrect assuming that carbs are all bad and fat is all good... It's about moderation... People shouldnt push carbs or fat, they should promote eating vegetables.
  • Saksgirl1
    Saksgirl1 Posts: 248
    Options

You say that like there is something wrong there???

KIDDING :)
  • idiocracy
    idiocracy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Commercials address the subconscious. Unlike people here, on MFP, who took healthy choices, everybody else will let that juicy hamburger image with a "weight loss" tag stick somewhere in a "drawer" inside their mind. Weight loss and diet is what sells better now, so why would McDonalds pass that chance?
  • Aokark
    Aokark Posts: 25
    Options
    A comedian that makes fun of something stupid, how shocking!
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    If you watch the movie closely, you will hear him explain why he did it. He pretty much proved that Spurlock cooked the books, and that's the point. Spurlock couldn't have eaten the number of calories he claimed to have eaten and stayed within his own self-imposed rules. He won't let anyone see his food diary to prove otherwise.

He's attacking the elitist mentality of Spurlock and others like him who have the idea that people are weak idiots and need to be protected from the world. His argument is that what we need to be protected from is the people claiming to be trying to protect us, because they are working on mistaken assumptions about food. He's attacking those underlying assumptions on which the entire diet industry (and the federal government) is built, and he uses compelling, scientifically sound, arguments to prove his point. We've been misled about fat and sugar both and the establishment is sticking by faulty information despite that no good studies bear it out as accurate.

I know I sound like a conspiracy theorist and I'm normally not. But I've done a lot of reading about this and I'm thoroughly convinced that sugar is the major dietary culprit, not saturated fats, as is being espoused by the mainstream diet industry and, indeed, the federal government.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I know I sound like a conspiracy theorist and I'm normally not. But I've done a lot of reading about this and I'm thoroughly convinced that sugar is the major dietary culprit, not saturated fats, as is being espoused by the mainstream diet industry and, indeed, the federal government.

The numbers don't lie, however. People are eating less sugar and more fat nowadays, and it's been trending that way for several decades. If sugar is the culprit, then shouldn't people be eating more sugar and less fat? The real culprit is the fact that people are less active then we were 30-40 years ago, and yet we are eating a lot more in general. It's got nothing to do with one particular food type.
  • bcattoes
    Options

IDK but John Stewart is hilarious!
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    I think comedians have an appreciation for irony. I just think the Fat Head guy thinks the documentary "Super Size Me" is ridiculous. He has some points. I do think that some of his other claims are questionable such as his claim of vegetarians influencing the government food pyramid, and his claim that cholesterol and saturated fat doesn't cause heart disease and atherosclerosis. He also points out that Indians are vegetarians and have the highest heart disease in the world, but using that evidence is a fallacy because studies suggest that this cause is genetic.

But the one thing the Fat Head guy does well is expose how stupid SuperSize Me is. If you made hamburgers and deep fried french fries at home, it would be just as bad for you. It's stupid to point fingers at fast food. Personally, I know how to get a reasonably healthy meal at McDonald's but if someone wants to eat a Big Mac and a large fries, then that should be their choice. Another good point he makes is about fat and how it is crucial for your health... He also talks about insulin resistance, but he definitely isn't the first to talk about it... He is incorrect assuming that carbs are all bad and fat is all good... It's about moderation... People shouldnt push carbs or fat, they should promote eating vegetables.

I really loved this documentary! I've seen both! And Morgan Spurlock can suck it!!!
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options

The numbers don't lie, however. People are eating less sugar and more fat nowadays, and it's been trending that way for several decades. If sugar is the culprit, then shouldn't people be eating more sugar and less fat? The real culprit is the fact that people are less active then we were 30-40 years ago, and yet we are eating a lot more in general. It's got nothing to do with one particular food type.
    I tend to agree with this. There are "good fats" and "good sugars" and "bad fats" and "bad sugars" but what all people have in common is NOT MOVING enough!
  • bcattoes
    Options
    If you watch the movie closely, you will hear him explain why he did it. He pretty much proved that Spurlock cooked the books, and that's the point. Spurlock couldn't have eaten the number of calories he claimed to have eaten and stayed within his own self-imposed rules. He won't let anyone see his food diary to prove otherwise.

He's attacking the elitist mentality of Spurlock and others like him who have the idea that people are weak idiots and need to be protected from the world. His argument is that what we need to be protected from is the people claiming to be trying to protect us, because they are working on mistaken assumptions about food. He's attacking those underlying assumptions on which the entire diet industry (and the federal government) is built, and he uses compelling, scientifically sound, arguments to prove his point. We've been misled about fat and sugar both and the establishment is sticking by faulty information despite that no good studies bear it out as accurate.

Yeah, I got he didn't like Spurlock. It's been years since I saw Super Size me but everyone at the screening was laughing. I didn't know it was supposed to be taken seriously. Mr. Spurlock was at the film festival where I saw it and he didn't seem elitist (other than he said he only really ate burgers from steak houses "where they were good) or serious. He was making jokes about the film. Anyone that takes a guy eating nothing but McD and suffering for it as serious isn't using much of their brain.
  • ArizonaBMC
    Options
    So, I saw this documentary last night. I don't get it. A skinny comedian does a documentary where he eats nothing but McD for a month and gains weight and his health suffers (shocking!). So, fat comedian retaliates several years later with a long commercial for McD where he eats McD and other fatty foods, but makes sure to keep his calories low and loses weight (again, shocking!). And THIS is what so many people use as their food guide? Comedians? Seriously?

If you're not willing to change your lifestyle based on a single documentary (and why would you), please use it as a springboard to spur more of your own research into the science involved. You are doing yourself a disservice if you don't. I recommend two books, "Why We Get Fat" and "Wheat Belly."

BTW...your contention that Fat Head is a commercial for McDonald's in patently dishonest. The movie was funded by....the filmmaker. That's it. By not even mentioning the esteemed doctors who were involved in the scientific aspect of the film, well, it implies you have your own agenda as well.
  • bcattoes
    Options

If you're not willing to change your lifestyle based on a single documentary (and why would you), please use it as a springboard to spur more of your own research into the science involved. You are doing yourself a disservice if you don't. I recommend two books, "Why We Get Fat" and "Wheat Belly."

BTW...your contention that Fat Head is a commercial for McDonald's in patently dishonest. The movie was funded by....the filmmaker. That's it. By not even mentioning the esteemed doctors who were involved in the scientific aspect of the film, well, it implies you have your own agenda as well.

What type of agenda would I have?? I've worked in health care for almost 30 years. I already know the science of nutrition. Fat Head wasn't "science" anymore than Supersize Me was. It was just a movie.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Personally, I know how to get a reasonably healthy meal at McDonald's

If you knew what was in that hamburger, I don't think you would call it healthy. That goes for the chicken, too.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Personally, I know how to get a reasonably healthy meal at McDonald's

If you knew what was in that hamburger, I don't think you would call it healthy. That goes for the chicken, too.
    Enlighten me, what's in that hamburger? Keep in mind I've worked for McDonald's and am very familiar with the ingredients they use.
  • ArizonaBMC
    Options

What type of agenda would I have?? I've worked in health care for almost 30 years. I already know the science of nutrition. Fat Head wasn't "science" anymore than Supersize Me was. It was just a movie.

BOOM! There's your agenda: "I've worked in health care for almost 30 years." You are actually part of the denial machine that supports a high carbohydrate diet as THE healthy way to live. You are set in your old ways of thinking to the tune of 30 years, and you are unwilling to open yourself to new facts. Your so-called "science of nutrition" is suspect. McDonald's didn't get us to where we are now...Ancel Keys' manufactured research did.
  • tigersword
    Options
    It's very simple. The average American is much less active than we were in 1970. Also, the average American eats about 600 more calories a day than we did in 1970. It's not eating too much fat, it's not eating too much sugar, it's not eating "refined sugar," it's quite simply that we eat more food and move less. More calories consumed and less calories burned equals much fatter Americans. In 1970, Americans ate an average of 2000 calories a day, in 2010 the average was about 2600.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    i'll sum up both movies

Supersize me = eat in a consistent caloric surplus and you gain weight

Fathead = eat in a consistent caloric deficit and you lose weight

not something most everyone already knew