Setting up a home gym

My birthday is coming up and I've decided as a gift to myself I'm going to set up a home gym. I'm not interested in any sort of cardio machines, but I want to have a set up to lift weights and such at home. I've gotten really into fitness in the past year and I want to be able to up the intensity at home. I have no interest in joining a gym and there aren't really any suitable options near me anyway, so I figure this is the best option for me.

Right now I already have: large stability ball, balance board, 2 pull-up bars, push-up bars, jumping rope, 1kg ankle weights, 1.1kg wrist weights, 10 lbs dumbbells, 5 lbs dumbbells, 1.5kg dumbbells, 3 kg dumbbells, yoga mat

I could really use some advice on equipment I need to supplement what I already have. I want to get more and heavier weights, I'm just not sure exactly what kind of set up I should be looking for. I just got the New Rules of Lifting for Women and I'm going to start that after I finish P90x.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Replies

• have you thought about getting resistance bands? they are much more reasonably priced and are VERY versatile for resistance training.
  • bookniblet
    bookniblet Posts: 9 Member
    Have u considered adding a kettle bell and medicine balls. I like the medicine balls that are like a basketball that you squat with and then throw against a solid wall. I think these items would compliment what you already have.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    kettlebell

and a barbell for squats, deadlifts, and bench press...and a bench...and a squat rack with a safety catch in case you can't stand back up :tongue:
  • jamielynn1981
    jamielynn1981 Posts: 232 Member
    I would LOVE to someday get the Bowflex Select Tech weights!! They go in 2.5 lb increments so it makes it easier to work your weights up. I think that would def. go in my dream gym!!
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    My advice, check out craigslist! I purchased a Bowflex powerpro with 310lbs for 150$ .. It sat in my basement for a year... but I started using it two months ago and am down 28 lbs.. just from strength training.. any cardio I do is just for warming up and cooling down. I do plan on adding more cardio but for now I just wanted to see what the bowflex can do.
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Thanks for all the advice! I want like everything now.

I'm in Europe, so Craigslist isn't really an option for me. I've checked a few sites sort of like that around me, but haven't found anything yet, but I'm always hopeful.