I feel like I have HIT A WALL:::SODIUM???

Options
I feel like I have hit a wall. I workout every day. 6-7 days a week...and I am always under my calorie goal...however I have been stuck at the same weight for about 3 weeks??? How do I get past this wall???

QUESTION:::::Does sodium make you hold onto weight????? I just changed my food diary to check my sodium...and i am WAYYY over on my sodium for the day??? Perhaps I just found my problem??

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Sodium causes you to retain water which will show as a gain on the scale, so yes.
    You're seeing water retention (in your number)
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    It makes you retain water, depending on how much sodium you have you should have inbetween 8-12 glasses of water a day, i usually have about 14.
  • reen62
    reen62 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yes Sodium plays a big part in retaining fluid. Once I started tracking my sodium content I noticed a big difference in weight loss and general over all bloated feeling. Good luck!!
  • IggyL
    IggyL Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Sodium does certainly make your both hold on to water if you are not drinking enough water to flush out the extra sodium. Are you eating enough? You said you are under your calorie goal but are you getting a net of at least 1200 per day. Your body may be requiring more calories so that it isn't in starvation mode.

Just some basic info since I can't see your diary.

Good luck!
  • aochoa123
    aochoa123 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    If you open your diary people can help more. But to answer your question if you are eating too much sodium it will cause water retention but if your not eating enough calories it can be why your not losing. Also drinking plenty of water helps.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Sodium could be it.

My next question is how far under your goal are you? Are you eating back exercise calories?
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Ding, ding, ding!!!!!!!!!!
  • mamax5
    mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Sodium only makes you hold onto to water not fat.
  • Erin_26
    Erin_26 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I would say, yes, very likely, that's your problem. However, don't worry!! You're not holding onto fat, just water. Reduce your sodium, drink 3 litres water a day and in a few days it will sort itself out.
  • CindyWarner
    Options
    I have a friend that was told "Don't eat anything from a can. Don't eat anything that's pre-made for you. All of that has too much sodium." She has lost over 100 pounds since just by reducing sodium.

So yes sodium can effect how much you weight.
  • Bluejay789
    Bluejay789 Posts: 176
    Options
    Yes sodium can cause you to retain water weight. I started tracking my sodium 10 days ago when I read a thread on mfp where someone was saying that sodium can cause you to carry an excess of 1-3 pounds. I have been sick for a week and have not exercised until this morning.

I have tried watching my calories and sodium even though when you are sick your not as motivated. I just weighed. The scales say I have lost 3 pounds since last week and I have not been working out at all. I think the three pounds are water because I have put down my "sea salt" shaker.
  • XtinaRocks
    Options
    Yep! Its gotta be the sodium! ALSO hows your workout routine? Have you changed it up? Is it still challenging? I've added a exta mile to my running route and I'm seeing results! Add a little extra cardio to sweat out that built up sodium! and of course WATER WATER WATER.

HOPE THIS HELPS :)
  • nighthawk327
    Options
    I'm having the same problem as the OP! I started working out 6 days a week about 2 months ago and have not lost a SINGLE POUND since then. Granted I'm likely gaining muscle but my measurements don't seem to be going down either. I had a big sodium problem before I started tracking but I was losing a lot of weight in the beginning... I think it must be my water intake too! Trying to work on that... :/ Most recently I changed my goals back down to 1lb a week instead of 1.5, in the fear I wasn't eating enough, we'll see how that goes.
  • LindaV23
    Options
    I'm defnitely checking out my sodium content. Was shocked at how much sodium I was taking in (although I knew that sometimes I crave salt - that indicates that my stress level is high). Can now put my rings off and on now. Did you know that when cooking most recipes call for a little salt added to something sweet....like cookies? The salt actually makes something sweet taste even sweeter. Wierd, huh? But true.
  • nitamo
    nitamo Posts: 64
    Options
    Salt definitely causes water retention and that could be the cause of your scale not moving. I really
    notice a difference in the way I feel and look when I let the sodium levels get out of control.
    MFP has my sodium set at 2500 but I feel much better if I stay below 2000 on the sodium. I also
    notice that the scale starts going down again when I watch the sodium more carefully. It's true
    that sodium only causes water retention and not fat retention but if you are holding on to 10 lbs of
    water retention that's 10 lbs you can get rid of if you flush out the sodium:-)
  • foreverloved
    foreverloved Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/313718-why-you-should-limit-your-sodium-intake

"Eating too much salt may cause weight gain in less noticeable ways too--by changing how your body makes and metabolizes fat. Studies show that a high-salt diet boosts the production of insulin, the hormone that tells the body to store excess sugar as fat. Simply put, the more insulin you have, the more fat you store and the more weight you gain. "
  • bt806
    bt806 Posts: 22
    Options
    How do you tell mfp to check sodium?
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    How do you tell mfp to check sodium?

Go to your food diary and then his settings and you can pick sodium there.
  • Jrab6486
    Jrab6486 Posts: 31
    Options
    I have been recently trying to eat back my calories burned...but in my head it feels weird to eat back everything i burned??
  • Jrab6486
    Jrab6486 Posts: 31
    Options
    you go to the setting section and there is an option to change what MFP tracks...i just found it today