Knee Pain Anyone?

Options
I am completely bummed out. I overused my left knee and it's pretty painful to do anything on it. I did go see the doctor and got a steroid shot and I'm going to physical therapy next week to learn how to strengthen it. I was wondering if anyone on here had a similar issue and if so how long did it take you to build up the muscles supporting the knee to where you were back to normal? I am eager to getting back to running, but I know that's high impact. I ran my first 5K last October. I really wanted to run the same one this October.

Replies

• Happy0326
    Happy0326 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the 5K. I'm not sure how long it takes. I hate when my knee starts to give me problems & I know its cause I have a lot of weight on my joints...LOL!!! Well hope your back & running soon. take it easy.
  • Chlolu
    Chlolu Posts: 3
    Options
    I first had this problem in my late teen. If you tackled it early enough and do your physio excercises regularly you you be fine within a few weeks (depending of what type of exercise you want to carry on) . I didn't and it's still a recurring problem for me if I do any strenuous exercise.
  • CindyWarner
    Options
    Your doctor may suggest water aerobics that are done in the shallow end of a pool. They are fun and can be a really good work out. Even though you are supporting your weight with water, the water is resistance. The faster you are able to go, the more resistance/work out you get.

Talk to your doctor about it and see what they say.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    OP, Well it's not your age, lol. Like some of us:)...

When I injured my knee as a teenager from overuse (or more like abusive track coach) the doctor showed me some strength training exercises. The one that helped the most was the leg extensions. The rule was that I could do any exercise as long as it didn't hurt. I also had to wear a brace for a while. I never had the surgery he said I would need "someday" either. Whatever you do, do not allow "exploratory surgery" if it is suggested to you. I hope you find success with your appointment.
  • moonflower09
    moonflower09 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I know my extra weight has tweaked my right knee from time to time. I started Hal Higdons 5k training for walking. My target is a 5k October 22nd. I started out with a 10 minute walk. It seemed rather silly to only be doing 10 minutes but for me it was about getting my shoes back on, getting out the door and taking it easy on my knee and building it back up for the long haul. So far so good. I am doing my long walk later today which is 1/12 miles easy on the track. I am waiting for a break in the rain. I have walked the last 5 days alternating between 10-15 minutes a day. I am really anxious to see how my knee makes out.
    Good luck on your journey and take it easy!
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    ps, to further answer your ?, it didn't take very long to build the supporting muscles...
  • carrun
    carrun Posts: 16
    Options
    great job on your 5k!! Yes I have knee problems too. I think it depends on what type of knee problem you have and how severve it is. I have petellar tendinopathy. I did physio last year, I don't think it helped but it didn't hurt either. I have a brace that I have to wear all the time!! I noticed the more weight I had the more pain I had and didn't want to walk because of the pain. I have lost nearly 10 pounds and have notice that I felt stronger and I had NO pain walking for the last two days. Be carefully with your knee if you push too hard you can cause more damage. Good luck to you on your next 5K!!
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Yes yes yes Knee pain here! I really have to watch out for what I do. One mess up and I would be out for weeks. So when I do injure myself I do water exercises/aerobics till it heals. Atleast a couple weeks for me. Good luck!