Healthy Comfort Food - "Mock" Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Options
bla115
bla115 Posts: 206
Hello Everyone! If you are like me one of the hardest things to find good, healthy substitutes for are the classic comfort foods. Tonight I made the following recipe and was amazed at how good it was. I did tweak the recipe a bit with my own fat free, low calorie versions of ingredients so I'm listing the ingredients that I specifically used. The nutrition information was calculated using those ingredients and I've added the nutrition count to the food list under the recipe name. I plan on adding this to my regular "go to" recipes when I'm craving those butter laden (and in my family buttermilk drenched) mashed potatoes. Hope you enjoy this one too!

Mock Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Ingredients
1 medium head of cauliflower (I used a 16 oz. frozen bag)
1 tablespoon fat free cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup fat free grated Parmesan (I used the sprinkle kind like you put over spaghetti sauce)
1 clove minced garlic
1/8 teaspoon fat free chicken broth
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
2 tablespoons fat free butter or margarine spread ( I used the brand Smart Squeeze)

Instructions
Set a stockpot of water to boil over high heat
Clean and cut cauliflower into small pieces. Cook in boiling water for about 6 minutes, or until well done. Drain well, do not let cool and pat cooked cauliflower until very dry between several layers of paper towels.
In a food processor (or like me in a bowl with a regular electric mixer) puree the hot cauliflower with the cream cheese, parmesan, garlic, chicken broth, and pepper until almost smooth (or as smooth as you like). Garnish with chives. Yummy!!!

Calculated to be 4 servings the following is the nutrition info. per serving

Calories 62.1 - Total Fat 1gram - Sat. Fat 0.1gram - Trans Fat 0 - Cholesterol 2.5 mg - Sodium 178.2 mg - Potassium 322.7 mg - Total Carbs 10.9 grams - Fiber 6.2 grams - Sugar 2.7 grams- Protein 4.2 grams - Vitamin A 10.9% - Vitamin C 120% (no kidding!) - Iron 5.4% - Calcium 5.9%

Replies

• bla115
    bla115 Posts: 206
    Options
    Hello Everyone! If you are like me one of the hardest things to find good, healthy substitutes for are the classic comfort foods. Tonight I made the following recipe and was amazed at how good it was. I did tweak the recipe a bit with my own fat free, low calorie versions of ingredients so I'm listing the ingredients that I specifically used. The nutrition information was calculated using those ingredients and I've added the nutrition count to the food list under the recipe name. I plan on adding this to my regular "go to" recipes when I'm craving those butter laden (and in my family buttermilk drenched) mashed potatoes. Hope you enjoy this one too!

Mock Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Ingredients
    1 medium head of cauliflower (I used a 16 oz. frozen bag)
    1 tablespoon fat free cream cheese, softened
    1/4 cup fat free grated Parmesan (I used the sprinkle kind like you put over spaghetti sauce)
    1 clove minced garlic
    1/8 teaspoon fat free chicken broth
    1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
    2 tablespoons fat free butter or margarine spread ( I used the brand Smart Squeeze)

Instructions
    Set a stockpot of water to boil over high heat
    Clean and cut cauliflower into small pieces. Cook in boiling water for about 6 minutes, or until well done. Drain well, do not let cool and pat cooked cauliflower until very dry between several layers of paper towels.
    In a food processor (or like me in a bowl with a regular electric mixer) puree the hot cauliflower with the cream cheese, parmesan, garlic, chicken broth, and pepper until almost smooth (or as smooth as you like). Garnish with chives. Yummy!!!

Calculated to be 4 servings the following is the nutrition info. per serving

Calories 62.1 - Total Fat 1gram - Sat. Fat 0.1gram - Trans Fat 0 - Cholesterol 2.5 mg - Sodium 178.2 mg - Potassium 322.7 mg - Total Carbs 10.9 grams - Fiber 6.2 grams - Sugar 2.7 grams- Protein 4.2 grams - Vitamin A 10.9% - Vitamin C 120% (no kidding!) - Iron 5.4% - Calcium 5.9%
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • Beth082485
    Options
    That sounds so delicious! I am going to try it tomorrow for dinner!