Protein/Carbohydrate/Fat Percentages - older female

Options
I've been wondering how people with similar body types to mine have been balancing their protein, carbohydrates, and fat? The original recommendations for this balance had a fairly high percentage of carbohydrates, and I don't think that that will work for me. It leaves me feeling starved all of the time, and I've never lost weight successfully with high carbohydrate balances.

I am older, post-menopausal, have a borderline thyroid and mild insulin resistance. I also have a body type that builds muscle fairly easily but does not willingly burn much fat. Exercising is easy to manage for me, but making my body use FAT to energize it can sometimes come hard, and my body tends to reduce its metabolism easily and go anabolic easily.

How are other older females managing it, effectively and sustainably? I am starting with 40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fat. I've heard some women have more luck with 45/35/20. What's yours?

Replies

• CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    With borderline hypothyroid and insulin resistance you will likely benefit from the ratios you suggest. I'm 39 with underactive thyroid that doesn't respond particularly well to treatment, but I use the ratios you suggested and that seems to work for me. I have also recently started having 6 small meals a day instead of 3 main meals. This can help with weight loss particularly if you have an underactive thyroid or IR.

I wasn't losing any weight, despite sticking to my calories and exercising but since having more protein and less carbs and eating 6 small meals, not only am I starting to lose weight (albeit slowly!) but I also have much more energy throughout the day.

As well as reducing carbs, it may help to make sure the carbs you are eating are healthy complex carbs from fruit, veg, nuts, seeds and whole grains. Avoid refined sugar and white carbs.

Feel free to look at my diary if it helps although the last couple of days I had a bit of shortbread (it was my birthday so that's my little treat!) Good luck and I wish you success :flowerforyou:
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    BUMP!! More suggestions please :heart:
  • michedarnd
    michedarnd Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thank you, very much. I appreciate it!