390lbs to 5km

Options
kerrymh
kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
So I don't post often, but I do love reading these.
23 months ago I weighed in at 390lbs on the scale,( actually my scale couldn't read my wt but the last time I had a reading it was 385 so I'm guessing 390 as my highest)

My energy level was zero, I was out of breath climbing stairs or any incline, and all I did was work and eat. I had no life.
I wanted all these things..normal things a relationship, marriage, family ect..but not happening when I couldn't do anything and managed to make it to work and home to the tv and 2 bags of chips or a McD's feast for supper. My family was terrified for me and I had few friends that I had real relationship with beyond binging together.

I found help 2.5 years ago with OA, and I started to understand that I was a food addict...it brought me friends that I could relate to and who understood me and a way to deal with life on life's terms. I also decided to have banding surgery..23months ago. I became abstinent from my binge foods, and I had surgery. I was really ready to make my life different. And both of these things are vital to my turning around and becoming the person I am today.

Today I hike, I walk, and today I ran 5km:smile: ...I NEVER in a million years pictured myself a runner. NEVER..but I actually like it! I don't know about a marathon....maybe just to say I did it..but 5k in 42.32 (i think) is something I will improve on and get faster..and keep going. My life is completely different.

I love MFP as well, over a year on here has helped me stay focused and honest and has given me encouragement online when I need it. I know that I still want to drop more wt, but going from 390 to 205 in 23 months and being able to run 5k is a big deal for me.
If I can do this anyone can!

Replies

• stargazergrl82
    Options
    Loved reading this post. You are a total inspiration for me! Congrats on the 5k :smile:
  • runlorirun
    runlorirun Posts: 389
    Options
    You are amazing!
  • alisonwww
    alisonwww Posts: 104
    Options
    Your story is amazing! Good for you! I'm trying to run but taking it slow because I dont' want to get hurt. Running a 5K seems unattainable to me so all I can say to you is WOW!! You just Go girl!!!
  • aochoa123
    aochoa123 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss. I too started at about 390(391 to be exact) . You are truly and inspiration.
  • neenaj33
    neenaj33 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Truly remarkable and inspiring!
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    You are incredible!!!!! Your success is a true inspiration. Keep up the amazing work!
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    Congratulations on your hard work! I can relate to how fabulous it feels to be out and functional after not doing anything but working and eating. There's so much out there to do besides those two things!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is awesome!! Congratulations!!
  • mimi2kk
    mimi2kk Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Congratulations on all your hard work!
  • damcool
    damcool Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Very, very nice!!!! What an inspiration to everyone that knows you and those that know you on here. Great job!!!!!!!
  • keith863
    keith863 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    What a remarkable and wonderful accomplishment!
    And, running a 5K! woo-hoo!
    Healthy diet & exercise, hang in there & best of luck~
  • Nicolasina
    Options
    Way to turn it around! Thanks for sharing :)
  • kerrymh
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It will be good to continue I want a 10 k for May is my goal.
  • is4031
    is4031 Posts: 71
    Options
    Way to go, what an inspiring post!
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    What i like about you is that you used the band as a weight loss TOOL not a weigh loss MIRACLE.....some overeaters think the band will solve all their problems because the only problem they have is being fat right? WRONG...I have heard of people that have been to OA and it help you discover that you are eating away some repressed feelings or even feelings not so repressed....and that you hvae to be careful because if you stop binging people tend to turn to other unhealthy forms of abuse (sex, drugs, drinking) to fill the void of binging.

Also, a lot of people don't exercise on the band, so when they get it removed they gain ALL the weight back because they eat whatever they want and are immobile, which is how they got to the point of needing the surgery in the first place.

Ciongrats on your success and for doing things right! And you time will be shaved off in no time!
  • cmDaffy
    cmDaffy Posts: 6,991 Member
    Options
    Congrats! The first time I finished a 5K, I actually cried tears of joy!
  • corbansmom
    Options
    YOU ROCK!!! You are such an amazing inspiration! Blessings to you for getting this far and on your continued journey.
  • kerrymh
    Options
    There are no quick fixes for a true lifestyle change..I'm just someone who needed an extra tool...I value it...but I just use it as one tool in a belt full of tools..lol if that makes sense..if I go to OA and don't do the work..I'll become a shopaholic..haha..so I have to work the steps and deal with life in a productive way rather than self abusive methods..I have finally become honest with myself and thats the key for it all.
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    thats great, keep up the good work
  • krevelle65
    krevelle65 Posts: 189
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!