When did people start noticing?

Options
Since October, I've gone from 175lb to 160lb, so a loss of about a stone, which I'm thrilled about. Unfortunately, I can't really see a difference when I look at myself, and nobody else has mentioned anything either (nobody knows I'm losing weight), which is a little discouraging.

So how much weightloss does it take before there is a real noticable difference? How much weight had you lost when people first started to comment?

Replies

• PussyKat
    PussyKat Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Since October, I've gone from 175lb to 160lb, so a loss of about a stone, which I'm thrilled about. Unfortunately, I can't really see a difference when I look at myself, and nobody else has mentioned anything either (nobody knows I'm losing weight), which is a little discouraging.

So how much weightloss does it take before there is a real noticable difference? How much weight had you lost when people first started to comment?
  • Glammy
    Glammy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm the type that needs a lot of attention, and encouragement, so I've been telling everyone "I've lost 5 pounds!" and I'm sure they said, "great!", but couldn't tell at all!!! :blushing: At 10 pounds it was probably the same thing. I think at 15 pounds my husband could notice a litte, but wearing the same clothes in public - maybe a little more loose than usual, but still the same 'frump' - work associates and such would only say something if I provoked it ("Look, my pants are getting big on me!" while I pull the thigh section out 1/2 inch or something stupid like that!). But at 20 pounds, friends at church who somehow didn't hear how hard I've been working at this starting asking me, "Are you loosing weight? You look great!" (and I'd reply, "Yes, I've lost 21 1/2 pounds since July!". I'm so humble...:blushing: :blushing: ) Now that it's over 25 pounds, and I've had to buy some new clothes to fit, it's more noticable and I don't have to say "Look what I've done, World!!!" because it's noticable without my annoying tactics. After all this, if anyone tells me I'm too thin, I think I'll hit them! :laugh:
  • gsschulte
    gsschulte Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Honestly it took about 20~30 pounds for people to start noticing. About the same time its time to by new clothes. I dropped about 2 (42 down to 38) sizes before anyone that sees me on a daily basis really noticed. The less you see people the more they notice the change. heck I see me everyday and I still look fat to me but I am working on that both mentally and physically every day.
  • hwilliams519
    Options
    There's a different point for everybody. I think I had lost about 10-15 pounds before people really started noticing (and I started out at 172 lbs at 5'5"). But then later it may only take a pound or two for someone to notice. And like you, I knew I had lost the weight, but I couldn't really see the difference until I took a look at some pictures. I think part of the reason why it is hard to tell where you lost it is because most people tend to hold the same shape, but slim down a little all over.

Just wait until your pants start to fit differently. That's one of the best ways to tell. And congratulations on loosing 15 pounds! That is a big stone. Try not to get discouraged, and keep up the good work.

108855.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • MissGorgeous
    MissGorgeous Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    thity pounds!
    but its funny
    ive now lost 60
    and someone asked me
    HAVE YOU LOST A LITTLE WEIGHT?
    i repiled "yeah only 60pounds"
    Ahahahahahahah
    jeez
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Great job with the weightloss!

I have lost about 75lbs total and it took about 20-30lbs before people seemed to notice.

From my experience, I think people do notice sooner but are uncomfortable saying anything.
    This could be because:
    1) They don't want to hurt your feelings by implying you needed to lose weight
    2) They are jealous
    3) They don't know how you lost the weight - healthy or unhealthy and don't want to risk complimenting you for a bad habit
    4) Aren't 100% sure you did lose weight. They may think it's just your clothes that make you look smaller or your new hair cut. They don't want to compliment you and then you respond saying actually I just gained 2 lbs but thanks alot. ...... I've had this happen to me a few years ago.

Keep up the good work!
  • cheermom11
    cheermom11 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Great job with the weightloss!

I have lost about 75lbs total and it took about 20-30lbs before people seemed to notice.

From my experience, I think people do notice sooner but are uncomfortable saying anything.
    This could be because:
    1) They don't want to hurt your feelings by implying you needed to lose weight
    2) They are jealous
    3) They don't know how you lost the weight - healthy or unhealthy and don't want to risk complimenting you for a bad habit
    4) Aren't 100% sure you did lose weight. They may think it's just your clothes that make you look smaller or your new hair cut. They don't want to compliment you and then you respond saying actually I just gained 2 lbs but thanks alot. ...... I've had this happen to me a few years ago.

Keep up the good work!

My sentiments exactly (especially numbers 1 and 4 above)... It took about 20 pounds before people CAUTIOUSLY - mentioned my weight loss...
  • joann
    joann Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I had a very funny thing happen to me. I camp in NY from april to oct. during the winter I lost 40lbs and when I came back to camp almost (almost) everyone said how good I looked...except this one real caddy (lets say not a nice women) said I have to admit you look wonderful....and her husband who is so nice..said I would have told you sooner but my wife would have hit me. :laugh: :laugh:
    That made my day...
  • stephiepoo
    Options
    People started noticing when I first lost the first 10 pounds, even though I myself didn't see any difference at all. :grumble:
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I had lost about 15 lbs. when people really started to notice.:flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I started at 205lbs.
    When I got down to about 175lbs, people started to comment.
    Mild, easy going comments, just in case they shouldn't be commenting on my weight loss, lol.

Now, at almost 50lbs gone, people who don't see me regularly comment a LOT.
  • raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    It took about 30-40 pounds for people (besides family) to really say something.

Even now it's hilarious to hear people's reaction. Some people are like "OMG! YOU'RE SO SKINNY!!!!" Other people are very cautious about it, like "Have you lost weight?" "yes" "You've lost a lot of weight... right?" HAHA, some people aren't censored (I love it though) and some people are so scared!
  • stephica
    stephica Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I find people at work don't really notice unless they are looking at pictures from the past few months. Same goes for my best friends that live closer that I see on a weekly basis.

My friends and family I only see every few months so when I see them, they always comment on how I've lost weight. My one friend every time I see her asks "Do you eat?!" as a joke because everytime I see her I apparently seem to be looking thinner? I wish my mirror would see the same thing, he he.
  • FloridaGranny
    FloridaGranny Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Buy new clothes and get a hair cut! The hair cut really makes the difference...........

When I looked at all the before and after pictures, I suddenly realized the people who lost the most weight looked so much younger ---- most of them also had a new stylish hair do to go with the "New Look"! WoW another OMG moment in time..........

Congrats on the 15 lbs. Wait til you can say "I lost 25 lbs" -- that really makes your day!
  • mrhappy
    mrhappy Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how much weight you've lost relative to your target... People won't notice two pounds against a 20 lb target, but they will notice two if your target is ten; its proportional. Also, co-workers (who see you every day) tend not to notice small changes. But if you go to a party with friends, or some activity you haven't been to in a while, its a sure thing that 10 lbs will get you noticed! Good luck and keep it up!
  • Nonibug
    Nonibug Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I agree. I also think that when your "bigger" as I am, it takes a bit longer before people really start to see it. My family that I see every day can basically only tell it by my pants fitting baggy now and they all say that my face looks thinner. This started happening for me with them at about 35 lbs. Now my out of town family and friends, that was a different story. They noticed at around 20 lbs lost, but I think thats because they dont see me everyday...
    All my clothes are pretty baggy on me, but I just cant make myself go out and buy any new clothes yet. I still have a long way to go and dont want to waste money on more clothes that wont fit me very long...but I have to admit Im starting to get a little self-conscious about my big clothes hanging on me when Im out in public...I think that they must be looking at me thinking Im homeless or something:blushing: :laugh:
  • nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    It's strange but a guy at work who doesn't know I've been working out asked me yesterday if I lost some weight. The funny thing about that is that I've barely lost anything! So for him to notice anything was strange.

Haha. So I dunno, I guess it depends.
  • jerzee11
    Options
    Well for me it was after about 30lbs.. I started losing weight last Dec. I went from 230lbs to 152lbs..so about 78lbs lost..and hope I never find..lol I still have 10lbs to go before my target. What gets me is at first it was nice to have people say that I look good..better than I did before.. but now those same people everytime I see them say when are you going to stop you keep getting smaller each time I see you. Come on already.... I will stop when I get to where I want to be... I honestly don't see that much of a change in the way I look...and I don't know why. Because I have went from a 18-20 to an 6-8 and still see an overweight woman in the mirror.:sad: I guess its psychological now. Also my husband says I look so much better now, which is nice but does that mean all the times before loosing the weight that he was lying to me saying I was good looking? Has anyone else have this? Anyway enough rambling..Congrats on everyones weight loss you all should be so proud. Have a Merry Christmas
  • PussyKat
    PussyKat Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Buy new clothes and get a hair cut! The hair cut really makes the difference...........

When I looked at all the before and after pictures, I suddenly realized the people who lost the most weight looked so much younger ---- most of them also had a new stylish hair do to go with the "New Look"! WoW another OMG moment in time..........

Congrats on the 15 lbs. Wait til you can say "I lost 25 lbs" -- that really makes your day!

Thanks, I can't wait for the 25lb mark!

The annoying thing is, I did recently get a haircut to see if it would make the weight loss more noticable...cut 4 inches off, had it layered, dyed it from light brown to a dark red/brown, and depressingly, none of my male friends noticed. The girls did though (the hair that is, not the weight loss). And these people haven't seen me since before I lost the 15lb, because I've been away at university.

Ah well. Maybe after the next 15lb I will get some well-earned compliments :laugh:
  • stephica
    stephica Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Well for me it was after about 30lbs.. I started losing weight last Dec. I went from 230lbs to 152lbs..so about 78lbs lost..and hope I never find..lol I still have 10lbs to go before my target. What gets me is at first it was nice to have people say that I look good..better than I did before.. but now those same people everytime I see them say when are you going to stop you keep getting smaller each time I see you. Come on already.... I will stop when I get to where I want to be... I honestly don't see that much of a change in the way I look...and I don't know why. Because I have went from a 18-20 to an 6-8 and still see an overweight woman in the mirror.:sad: I guess its psychological now. Also my husband says I look so much better now, which is nice but does that mean all the times before loosing the weight that he was lying to me saying I was good looking? Has anyone else have this? Anyway enough rambling..Congrats on everyones weight loss you all should be so proud. Have a Merry Christmas

I totally understand what you are saying and I'm sure you look wonderful. My mom asked my uncle when he was going to stop because he lost so much weight, and I believe it was in a small amount of time that his face looked sunk in and he looked sick. Many people were asking my mom if he was deathly ill. Either that, or they are just jealous! Either way... Congrats :smile: