Anyone have experience/success fasting?

Options
2»

Replies

• katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I fast for 24 hrs every weekend and its not as hard as some may think. Eg. Have lunch saturday at 2pm and then skip dinner. If i sleep late than i can eat sunday at 2. Many of my relatives who are doctors practice this, to give their digestive systems a break. It also saves quite a bit of money fr me haha. Key is to not take it too seriously. Dont think too much about it and if ur really dying, then eat something.

My weekly IF is similar, but only 18 hours. I have a normal breakfast and lunch, Stop eating at 1 pm and break my fast at 7 am the next day. I basically miss one meal. I like cupotee's method though and will try it.
  • larkspur20
    Options
    I have been fasting now 3 times a year for about 3 years now and it really has changed my life. I started with the Master Cleanse as I was suffering from quite a bit of digestive troubles after moving to a new town and starting a hectic job a few years before. The kind of IBS where I often woke up with abdominal pain. I quickly though reduced the maple syrup lemonade to almost only water and then this year started water only fasts as I was worried about the amount of sugar in the Master Cleanse. I never had IBS again after the first fast and got a lot of energy and postive thoughts from it which makes me think of the fasts as a spiritual cleanse as well as a physical cleanse. I've also found it has healed lots of problems I have had (including an old knee injury). Certainly fasting isn't for everyone, but I've found it incredibly helpful. I also was inspired to improve my diet and exercise routine from the fasts and it's made me more active in pursuit of a healthier lifestyle.

In general, I"m a huge fan! Also, since beginning the fasts, I'm now around 20 pounds lighter than I was when I started them three years ago. Yes, you'll gain some of the weight back when you go off the fast, but you don't have to gain it all back if you break the fast gradually and continue with good diet and exercise post fast. Of course breaking it with a pizza or going back to an unhealthy lifestyle will make you gain weight, but that's really not a problem with the fast, but a problem with your diet! However, it's best to think of fasting for health and spiritual reasons rather than as a quick form of weight loss.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Contrary to advocacy claims, fasting does not and cannot heal medical conditions, assist immune or other physiological function, or play a role in health maintenance. The decreased supply of blood glucose leads the body to break down muscle for energy, causing weakness, depression, fatigue, and sick feelings."

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/340628

Wait a minute, the lack of blood glucose signals the liver to produce ketones signaling the body to utilize fat for energy. This is part of the fundimental basis for ketogenic diets. Deprive the body of carbs/sugars so that it burns fat instead.

Granted, I agree with you in that I don't believe that fasting provides any real benefit to health or in the way of "detoxifying" the body. From what I know, based on everything I've ready, this isn't how the body works.

Just my two cents...
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I did ADF for a while but it didn't fit my workout schedule. I now have been doing IF with a 16:8 window and it works well for me. It's not for weight loss reasons per say but more of a life style. I have never been a breakfast eater and spent years forcing myself to eat first thing in the morning until I understood it was completely pointless.

I have to admit that I really don't think fasting for multiple days in a row is a good thing. There is no need to detoxify the body, it does it on it's own.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    YES!, there is a good group on here too
  • mjudd1990
    mjudd1990 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Contrary to advocacy claims, fasting does not and cannot heal medical conditions, assist immune or other physiological function, or play a role in health maintenance. The decreased supply of blood glucose leads the body to break down muscle for energy, causing weakness, depression, fatigue, and sick feelings."

Wait a minute, the lack of blood glucose signals the liver to produce ketones signaling the body to utilize fat for energy. This is part of the fundimental basis for ketogenic diets. Deprive the body of carbs/sugars so that it burns fat instead.

Granted, I agree with you in that I don't believe that fasting provides any real benefit to health or in the way of "detoxifying" the body. From what I know, based on everything I've ready, this isn't how the body works.

Just my two cents...

Fasting increases glucagon levels which is a catabolic hormone that tries to maintain blood glucose. It's main action is glycogenolysis and gluconeogenesis. When carbs run out, glycogen stores are depleted and both fat and muscle are tapped into as sources of substrates for gluconeogenesis. Ketogenesis begins once necessary intermediates like oxaloacetate have been depleted and normal glucose metabolism cannot occur so the acetyl-coA that normally enters the Krebs cycle is used to form ketones instead. The ketones can then be used by your brain for energy.

I'll get off my biochem soapbox now
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I do 5:2 fast diet because I like it, it fit in my lifestyle and I was able to stop counting calories.

That said, I have not seen any scientific data saying that a 10 days fast is better than what I am doing. In fact the metabolism advebtage of fasting go away after 3 days when it start to slow down. So you can get the advantage of fasting in a much shorter period.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options

Just my two cents...

Fasting increases glucagon levels which is a catabolic hormone that tries to maintain blood glucose. It's main action is glycogenolysis and gluconeogenesis. When carbs run out, glycogen stores are depleted and both fat and muscle are tapped into as sources of substrates for gluconeogenesis. Ketogenesis begins once necessary intermediates like oxaloacetate have been depleted and normal glucose metabolism cannot occur so the acetyl-coA that normally enters the Krebs cycle is used to form ketones instead. The ketones can then be used by your brain for energy.

I'll get off my biochem soapbox now

Is there any known ratio for how the body priortizes fat vs muscle once glycogen stores have been depleated?
    How long does the body have to be deprived of carbs for both glycogen stores to deplete and the intermediates to deplete?
    Once actually in ketogenesis, If one chooses to fast, will the body prefer adipose fat (given there's sufficient stores) or muscle?

I'm really curious about the nitty gritties of these processes, and it's hard to find anything online that breaks it down.

Thanks for any additional info :D