Rice confusion!

alison2429
alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
edited October 1 in Food and Nutrition
Can anyone help? I have just cooked white rice but I am confused as to how I should log it. It was half a cup BEFORE cooking and about 300g when cooked. I'm not sure if the info about rice on here is for cooked or raw. I have logged it as 120cals but that doesn't seem like much.
Any help .......?
Thanks.

Replies

• vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    look for white rice cooked. If it doesn't say cooked then it will be uncooked and it will be a lot more calories.
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    1/2 cup of uncooked rice equals 1 1/2 cups cooked. Rice listed in the database usually says raw or cooked. The white rice has cooked after most of the entries. Which one is right depends on the type of rice...long, medium, or short grain. Though they are all fairly close in count. One cup of cooked long grain rice is 205 calories.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    You can also look for long grain rice, dry and it will have an accurate calorie count if you are simply steaming it with plain water.
  • Charlotte012
    Charlotte012 Posts: 139 Member
    yes look for rice cooked. 300g is about 3 cups and 1 cup of white rice cooked is around 275 cals.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    If you use any butter in it, just log that separately.

I was able to find dried white rice in the database, so I can say affirmatively that it's in there.
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Thanks everyone. I found Basmati rice dry. I weighed the dry rice (120g) and logged that. It was 420 calories - way off what I had originally logged. Good job I checked!
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Bump
This discussion has been closed.