Heavy at Night

Options
Ok - I had my best weight so far on Wed. Since then I have not seen that weight on the scale. Plus in the evenings, I see as much as 4 lbs difference to the morning weight. I am staying under my calorie goal and have added exercise on the nights I get finished work before 8. How can I not be moving down?

Replies

• laurasnyder411
    laurasnyder411 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert or anything but I was seeing the same weight fluctuations. Personally I decided to choose to weigh in the mornings when I get up and generally I can see my results better that way.
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I too was wondering about the difference of night to morning. I had heard that it has to do with respiration somehow. I also weigh less after a shower, even though my hair has the weight of being wet. Can the dirt on my skin really weigh that much?
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Just stick to the routine. It's not a perfect linear path. Some weeks you might stay the same or even go up. Some weeks you'll go down 1 or 2 lbs. The long term trend is what you're after here, not the everyday weigh-ins. Also, it's perfectly normal to lose 4+ lbs overnight. Most people are at their heaviest before bedtime and lightest after they wake up and do their business.
  • SarahRuth♥
    SarahRuth♥ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Fluctuations throughout the day and throughout the week are normal. To see progress, weigh yourself once a week, at the same time of day, wearing the same clothing (I just go with naked), on the same scale.

I always weigh 3-5 lbs more at night than I do in the morning. :)
  • Obstinate07
    Options
    If you are weighing yourself everyday, then you may see fluctuations. Most people say it is ideal to weigh in once a week so that you wlll have a better idea of what you weigh. Also, there are many factors that can affect the number that you see on the scale. While doing this, I have seen my number go up and down despite my healthier eating habits and exercise. My advice to you is to continue your weight loss journey and don't be discourage by the number you see.
  • Kaecklund
    Kaecklund Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I wake up, pee, get naked, weigh myself then shower :) I see a couple pounds difference from the evenings. Usually about a 3 lb difference. I like positive results, so I weigh in the mornings!
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    In the evening you have a full days worth of food and liquids sitting in your stomach and digestive system, which probably accounts for the 4 pound difference. Weigh yourself once in the mornings after using the bathroom and before taking a shower (i.e. naked) so you have the most accurate picture. Anything after that is your weight + whatever you ate.
  • frannyannemum
    Options
    Although I am guilty of doing it, I think and have also heard that weighing at night is not a good thing. Your evening meal and/or snacks haven't had chance to digest properly yet. Also, you have the build up of fluids from the day.

By the time morning comes your body is ready to get rid of fluids and/or anything else (not a nice picture I know) which is why most people need to go to the loo once they have woken up.

Hope this helps :happy:
  • h82bfat
    h82bfat Posts: 77
    Options
    Daily weight fluctuation is normal and most people weigh less in the morning. I have woken up, weighed myself, gone about my day (without eating) only to return to the scale and weigh more. I don't even know how that's possible. It's best to weigh yourself at the same time of the day. I weigh in once a week right after I wake up. However, the scale is but a guide. I'm much more concerned with how I feel, how I look, how my clothes fit, and my endurance.

It may not be a linear path, but if you eat well and exercise your body will respond.

Don't get discouraged!
  • Lozzy_82
    Lozzy_82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I occasionally weigh myself in the evening just out of curiosity, and I'm usually 4-5lbs heavier than that morning.
  • dddeans
    dddeans Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments. Just is concerning when you are set up for 1.5 a week loss and 3 days after your best weigh in you don't get to see that weight again.

I will keep going forward.

DDD
  • cnelove14
    Options
    Yes ur weight does fluctuate between 2 to 5 lbs depending on many factors like food water retention and so on. The best way to get acurate results is to weigh urself once a week on the same day every week, (I'm a scale addict so that's how I knew all these things were causing me to have different weights.)weigh urself in the morning before eating or drinking anything. Also remeber that if u r dehydrated that once u drink something and rehydrate that u will notice a rise in ur weight usually about a lb. And also when u weigh urself in the morning make sure u weigh urself in the same amount of clothing because clothes and shoes add weight. I weighed myself in a shirt jeans and undergarments then in just undergarments and saw a 3lb difference! Hope this helps sorry for rambling lol!