Confused About Pasta Calories

Options
I typically weigh 100g of dry penne pasta or spaghetti before I cook it, thinking I'm only getting 156 calories. The penne label says 100g (cooked as directed) equates to 156 calories, The spaghetti label also says 156 calories per 100g although it does not mention the cooking process or whether this is a dry or cooked weight.

Am I right in thinking that i have been underestimating my intake? Should I be be weighing my pasta cooked to determine the calories accurately?

For example my Uncle Bens rice label tells me a 62.5g serving yields 215 calories. That seems clearer to me; i weigh 62.5 g of dry rice then cook it as directed and that accounts for 215 calories.

Replies

• KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    right, obviously there are different amounts of water that get into the pasta to add weight based on the amount of time that it is cooked (al dente, or limp noodles), and that effects the weight, but not the nutritional value, so the only way to accurately measure it would be from dry weight. Sucks if the brand you buy does not give you the measurements for servings that way.
  • SimplyDeLish
    Options
    Depending on how long you cook your pasta - the more water it absorbs - the more it weighs. Pasta is one of those foods that you really should weigh BEFORE cooking to be accurate.

So you are doing it right!
  • kerrylou150
    Options
    You want to use dry pasta when you are measuring. it can really absorb a lot of water or sauce during cooking so if you measure after cooking you are getting less pasta. I cook my in a smaller pot then the rest of the family. its easier to know i am right on measurements and wash an extra pot then guess.
  • carolww
    carolww Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hi, I think about 100g dry pasta is probably somewhere from 300-400 calories. (in my experience)
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Yeah, sorry but cooked weight is much heavier than dry weight! I'd either buy a different brand, or you'll have to cook it, weigh out 100g and then count how many pieces there are.... then you can weigh the dry amount of those pieces to get an accurate amount. It's a pain!
  • uclown2002
    uclown2002 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yikes!

Should have done this before I posted but searching internet it looks like 100g of uncooked pasta yields approximately 350 calories!!

I thought it was too good to be true; looks like I need to half my portion.

Disappointing that some pasta is labelled this way in the UK.

Thanks guys.
  • WAW26
    WAW26 Posts: 17
    Options
    Hi.

I have already made another post on this but I thought I would reply.

I think I have been calculating my pasta calories wrong.

I live in UK and I use dry fresh pasta from the refrigerated section and on the packet it states that 100g = 160 calories

All my dieting life I have been assuming that this 100g is dry pasta measured then cooked which equals 100g however now after reading other posts I that this 100g is actually referring to 100g COOKED pasta!!

Can someone help me which is correct?? Does the 100g refer to 100g cooked or uncooked pasta????

Please help me as this could be effecting my weight loss if Im doing it wrong :-(

Thanks
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Fresh pasta is going to be different than box pasta, I'd think...higher moisture content.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    its about 2 ounces dry and 100grams cooked. you have to choose one.
  • reachingforarainbow
    reachingforarainbow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Most of the pasta that I tend to get has the nutritional info for dry. It typically is around 370 calories per 100 grams of dry pasta. So I would say yes, this is a major underestimation of calories. I would say (unless its made with really different ingredients than other pasta) weigh it before its cooked and track it using dry pasta entry. Cooked pasta could end up weighing more or less depending on how long you cook it for (how much water it absorbs)