meat allergy?

Options
nani726
nani726 Posts: 70 Member
Dont judge y'all, im already paying for it!

Im a vegetarian, i dont usually eat any animals products but last night and before last , i had roast beef cooked by yours truly in the crockpot. It was delicious and i'd lie if i said i didnt enjoy it, but this morning i woke up itching like a mofo! legs covered in itchy horrendous hives! i have them everywhere, even my scalp and butt :(
this happened to me once when i ate ham years and years ago and i feel my face is swollen, what gives? is meat allergies for real or a myth and is that what i have? heeeeelp!!

Replies

• SimplyDeLish
    Options
    Without an allergy test you probably can't be certain that you have a meat allergy...but if all other factors were the same as they usually are and the meat was the only difference - you just may.

I'm not a medical expert by any means, but sometimes our bodies react to "foreign" matter in an allergic reaction. Since you rarely eat animal protein that could be the issue.
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Any other ingredients beside beef in the crockpot?
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    If I were you I would only get organic meat if you are occasionally eating it, no hormones and no preservatives... but you never know, maybe you had a bad reaction beacuse your not used to it!
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to tell you that the only way to find out is to try more meat. Try a small amount to see what happens and work your way up. You might want to keep some benadryl (diphenhydramine HCl) around to treat any hives or allergic reactions. Children's benadryl liquid is recommended because it acts faster. Just take the adult dose.

*I am not a doctor, but I play one in MFP forums.
  • nani726
    nani726 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    i only get organic, we all ate it and only i got a reaction, i didnt add any spices that i dont use on a daily basis, im going to urgent care in a few, benadryl is not doing anything other than just make me drowsy :(

hey larius! thats what i did this morning, i took an adult dose of kids benadryl (well it was more like a shot! lol) and the itching went away, then ate sliders and the itching is back, took a second dose of it and it didnt do anything but make me sleep.
  • katharos3
    katharos3 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, but I think it's certainly an allergic reaction. And if eating meat is the only thing different (no new lotions or soaps, or any other new foods, I assume?) then it sounds like a meat allergy to me. I knew a guy once who said he was allergic to meat. He had been tested or something, and it had something to do with the specific proteins, so maybe he was allergic to beef, not all meat. Sorry, I don't remember exactly. We weren't close friends. lol Anyway, you could try taking some benedryl. And if your tongue or throat start to swell, get to a hospital.

Oh, and no judging here. :)
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Fresh meat whether organic or not does not contain any preservatives. Animals given antibiotics cannot be slaughtered within 5 days of the shot. Most are not given growth hormones and chickens are prohibited from getting hormones, period. There is a reaction to alpha galactose found in some meats. You can be tested for it. Now you should take Benadryl.