making time... a rant

Options
sorry if this comes out wrong but i'm tired of so many people (no necessarily on MFP, but in general) saying "i dont have time to exercise"... No, most days you wont see that i've burned 800 calories... but its always 300-500 calories depending on how much time i can CREATE in my day...i'm a single parent, i work a full time job, my mom watches my little boy while i'm at work so its not like she can pick him up for 2 hours so i can go to the gym after work... so what do i do? i make time! i get up 45 mins earlier than i should and i do 30 day shred- usually my little boy comes walking in around my cool down and says "mommy are you doing yoga" (he thinks all working out is yoga...dunno why)..so after that (about 7am) all eyes are on him... then at work i ALWAYS workout on my lunch break..how much do i do? 26 mins...i've found that that is exactly the right amount of time for me to get back to work on time- how many calories do i burn? anywhere from 200-240 depending on how quick i make that treadmill go... so between the two i've burned 350-390 calories... sometimes (like on sat when the gym isn't open) i walk the stairs at work and walk laps around the building... if I can find time to work out then YOU can find time to work out ... and i feel GREAT!

Replies

• heather7marie
    heather7marie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    It annoys me when people use that EXCUSE as well. Everyone has time. Even if you can just squeeze in ten minutes here and there... It all adds up.
  • lynnie30
    lynnie30 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it, but I do use that excuse and I wish I could stop. Of course I can fit in 10 minutes here and there, but it doesn't satisfy me and I can't put my all into it. Give me even 20-30 minutes at least- and I can work my butt off! I am up until 1-2 in the morning because that is the only time I have to complete assignments for my graduate course, during the day I have 2 boys (we run and play outside but I never count that as a work out), I take care of my husband's business, and I am a teacher (we go back to school next week). By the time I get a few minutes to myself I don't feel like doing anything. I think people use it as an excuse because they get into a rut. I am in a rut. I know if I get up early enough I could workout with a dvd, but I'm in that rut- up late, up a few minutes before the kids, play with the kids, etc...
  • KatScarberry
    KatScarberry Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    EXCELLENT post!!! I have two little ones myself and I know that finding time is hard. But you have to FIND the time. I look at it this way - either I find the time to exercise now so I can be healthy or I take time off my life and leave my family forever.

I also exercise during lunch & I just can't understand why other people say they can't. I hear the "I don't want to be sweaty or stinky" excuse all the time and I don't buy it. I come to work armed with baby wipes, deodorant and body spray and when I get done exercising, you really can't tell. And if I'm wrong and you can tell - well then maybe it'll keep people out of my office in the afternoon... LOL

Thanks for posting!!!!
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way about cooking all of my meals from scratch. People always say they don't have time to do this. You mean in between watching The Biggest Loser and American Idol? I have 2 kids, work a full time job, go to the gym 3-5 days per week, find time to cook every single meal from scratch including the kids school lunches, and still watch a little TV. I guess its all about priorities and the quality of life you want to live. So yes, I agree people should not say they don't have the time. They should say they don't want to find the time.
  • littleali
    littleali Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I beg to differ. Last week I got up at 5am to start school work, worked solidly through till lunch wherein I ate at my desk, then had a driving lesson 1-3pm, showered 3-4pm, dinner 4pm-5pm, then work 5.30-11.30pm, home at midnight. I don't see available time in my day to exercise well. Sure I could have got up at 4.30 to do 30DS but I didn't because I know it wouldn't be sustainable. Some people genuinely cannot sustainably fit exercise into their schedule, without completely knackering themselves out! I'd much rather burn 400 one day and 0 the next, as a cycle, for a month, then drive myself down by focusing on trying to get a constant level of activity into my routine. But good on you girls for doing what I can't, I am really impressed!
  • jennor8or
    jennor8or Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it, but I do use that excuse and I wish I could stop. Of course I can fit in 10 minutes here and there, but it doesn't satisfy me and I can't put my all into it. Give me even 20-30 minutes at least- and I can work my butt off! I am up until 1-2 in the morning because that is the only time I have to complete assignments for my graduate course, during the day I have 2 boys (we run and play outside but I never count that as a work out), I take care of my husband's business, and I am a teacher (we go back to school next week). By the time I get a few minutes to myself I don't feel like doing anything. I think people use it as an excuse because they get into a rut. I am in a rut. I know if I get up early enough I could workout with a dvd, but I'm in that rut- up late, up a few minutes before the kids, play with the kids, etc...

u sound busssyyyy :) on my lunch break i used to sit and read or actually eat my lunch (now i eat for about 5 min in front of my computer at my desk) :p then i realized that i could be working out...then i though "gross, who wants to get sweaty and go back to work"...but as the musles tone up and my belly gets flatter i realize "I do I do!" everytime i put on a cute outfit to go out to dinner or something- i also realized i'm the only person who gives a crap about how my makeup looks at work LOL
  • losinit_4_good
    losinit_4_good Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Such a great post! I'm a full-time working mom but I make time to work out every day! For me, that means waking up at 530 to do the 30DS workout. I take 6 flights of stairs to get to my office, and walk home from daycare with my son every day. On average burns about 450 calories. And just this past week I started walking at lunch. 25 min walk plus those dang stairs again. And on days when I actually get out of work on time I have about 20 mins to kill before my bus comes so I walk to the bus stop further away from my building instead of the one right outside. So rather than walk to the close stop and stand there for 15 mins I walk to the one 20 mins away and still get to the daycare at the same time. It's all about making the time. I understand that not everyone can, but I am able to, so I no longer allow myself to use the "no time, too busy" excuse.
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    hence my profile picture!!
    "you have 3 stars on every level of Angry Birds & you say you have no time to exercise? Bzzzzzzzzz, WRONG ANSWER!!!

I love the way I feel when I leave Curves ~ I work out there every day they are open for an hour or more. The only time they are closed is Sundays & holidays, so I am there pretty much 6 days a week. When Curves is closed, I go to the park with my 3 year old granddaughter & she gives me a fantastic workout!! I walk & she rides her bike around the park (1 trip is a mile ~ huge park) a couple of times.
  • lynnie30
    lynnie30 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I actually find it much easier to make time to work out once I go back to work. The way my day is broken up provides time:)

u sound busssyyyy :) on my lunch break i used to sit and read or actually eat my lunch (now i eat for about 5 min in front of my computer at my desk) :p then i realized that i could be working out...then i though "gross, who wants to get sweaty and go back to work"...but as the musles tone up and my belly gets flatter i realize "I do I do!" everytime i put on a cute outfit to go out to dinner or something- i also realized i'm the only person who gives a crap about how my makeup looks at work LOL
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I beg to differ. Last week I got up at 5am to start school work, worked solidly through till lunch wherein I ate at my desk, then had a driving lesson 1-3pm, showered 3-4pm, dinner 4pm-5pm, then work 5.30-11.30pm, home at midnight. I don't see available time in my day to exercise well.

Found it: 30 minute shower and 45 minute dinner = 45 minutes to work out.

Point being, if exercise is a priority, you find the time. If it's not a priority, that's okay too - just be honest about it not being a priority.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    We are all busy in our own way. Is it always easy to find time to workout? Absolutely not. But, if it a priority to you - you'll find the time. Even if it is a 15 min workout dvd at the end of the day.

If you WANT to do it - YOU will. We all have things that stand in our way --- we can either work around them... or don't.
  • jennor8or
    Options
    I beg to differ. Last week I got up at 5am to start school work, worked solidly through till lunch wherein I ate at my desk, then had a driving lesson 1-3pm, showered 3-4pm, dinner 4pm-5pm, then work 5.30-11.30pm, home at midnight. I don't see available time in my day to exercise well.

Point being, if exercise is a priority, you find the time. If it's not a priority, that's okay too - just be honest about it not being a priority.

i was just gonna honor the excuses i made and not say anything, but i'm glad u did :)
  • jennor8or
    Options

i was just gonna honor the excuses i made and not say anything, but i'm glad u did :)
  • jennor8or
    Options
    We are all busy in our own way. Is it always easy to find time to workout? Absolutely not. But, if it a priority to you - you'll find the time. Even if it is a 15 min workout dvd at the end of the day.

If you WANT to do it - YOU will. We all have things that stand in our way --- we can either work around them... or don't.

"If you want something you will find a way. If you don't you will find an excuse"
  • carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Good for you! You are right, it is an excuse and I just feel like those people must not want it bad enough to actually make it happen. Maybe they will eventually, maybe they won't. It does get old hearing that excuse though.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    My favorite phase is, " you have time for what you make time for"...and that includes, exercise and eating right. C'mon folks, we got this!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Personally, I feel that there is nothing more important in my day than taking care of myself. Granted, I still don't exercise as much as I would like to, but regardless, I try not to overbook myself.

I work full time, because I more or less have to. I don't have to have kids or go to school anymore, so I don't do those things, because my health sucks and I feel like I need to bring my energy levels back up before I take on anything else.

If I can find time to brush my teeth and take a shower, I can find time to work out. A ten minute jump rope session is all it takes for me to burn some calories and stop feeling like a slob.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Everybody has time to work out. If you have time to talk on the forums or play Angry Birds, you have time to work out:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/03/10/angry-birds-workout-plan/
  • MelissaDawn88
    Options
    I completely agree with you! While I can't say I completely understand your struggles as I don't have a child, which I'm sure is a full time job in itself, I am a full time college student with a part time job where I average 34-36 hours each week. Monday-Friday I am in class from about 8-2 or 3, then go directly into my job and work until 930 or 10. I have began to make myself find time. My goal this week is to make it to the gym by 630am 4 days, and when I have a break in between classes of at least 30 mins, not sit down and wait for class to start, but instead walk during the extra time. I believe that it's little things like that which will help me reach my goals