Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Scared about Maintaining

So I am about 5 lbs to my goal weight and all I can think about is maitaining. I am so worried once I get to my goal weight I am just going to gain it all back. What are your tips on maintaining? I have been working so hard I feel obsessed.

Replies

• leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    bump..i am about 15 lbs away, and i would like to know that too..i say keep eating right and working out, and it wont come back..but then again, i have never tried to maintain before..ever..good luck:flowerforyou:
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    How did you lose those 22 lbs? What have you learned about your body, fitness, and nutrition? Maintaining should be simple after all this. Screw fear.
  • JeannieFo
    JeannieFo Posts: 35 Member
    Best advice I ever got when trying to maintain: change nothing! Keep doing what you've been doing.
  • aab2011
    aab2011 Posts: 49
    Thank you I will screw the fear!!! Your right I need to keep doing what I am doing.
  • slick_fox
    slick_fox Posts: 85 Member
    First of all a "big congradulations!

I also am 5 pounds from goal and I WAS a basket case this pass Sunday. I have lost a total of 39 pounds since Jan. 1st. I couldn't get used to my skinny face so I taped (to my monitor) a picture from 20 years ago and looks just like a younger me. I also went clothes shopping to make sure I didn't wear any of my FAT clothes. This is a new experience for both of us. I plan on NEVER giving up on myfitnesspal.com and I will keep posting my food diary daily for my maintanence.

I have found that the friends I have made on this site encourge me on a daily basis and I need that BIG time. Please do not leave this website as it is a great tool for me and you too.

Good luck my friend.
  • vbennett7
    vbennett7 Posts: 99 Member
    I am in a similar situation. I am about 10 pounds away from my goal. I know I still have issues with food. We had cake for a dessert at a luncheon about a week ago. I was completely full and enjoyed the dessert....but, I wanted MORE! I was in a public setting and was able to resist, but it was almost an obsession for me. I worry about losing my focus and gaining it back. I have been praying and need to pray more for help with the power that my appetite has over me. I try to keep reminding myself about how I need to trust that there will always be more so I don't need to act as if it will be the last time for the current temptation. I also try to remember that I need to act like a thin girl, not a fat girl. " Is this the behavior of a thin girl?" (although, I don't think I have truly accepted myself as being 'thin')

Good book: Secrets of a Former Fat Girl
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    I think that's why I keep lowering my goal. Lol! But seriously, if you go to MiniMins.com and find HappyHealthys thread, she has a great maintenance diary, very interesting. If anything she was having trouble with keep losing weight!! She was worried that she was going too low. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    The biggest change *I* had between losing weight and maintaining?

Learning to eat more. Since I knew how many calories I needed to lose weight, it was tough to change my mindset into eating more so my body would stop losing and simply maintain.

Continue eating healthy. Continue working out.

Really. The only thing that *I* found has changed is the amount of I eat (and that I can be a little more relaxed about counting). But, honestly... don't fear it. Be proud of what you've accomplished. Will it be a bit of an adjustment? Yes, it will. But, you'll do just fine. :)
  • I have a worry right now switching into maintenance mode (about 20lbs away still) and gaining it back. because i'm eating more. It sounds stupid especially that i'm already thinking about this when i still have 3-4 months of dieting to go but it'll be just in time for the holidays and all the home made sweets and treats. I don't want that to happen. I'll probably be on here for a LONG time after i hit maintenance for the support and logging.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Make sure you ease into it. If your goal isn't already at 0.5lbs a week, change it to that. Maybe add a 100 or so calories a week until you get up to maintenance.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    I can tell you what work for me. I still have some weight to lose but it's because I got preggo and now losing the baby weight...so I don't want you to think that I have no credibility what so ever.

1- try each piece of clothing you own. Even slightly too big get donated. Do not give you the chance to grow in your pants and shirts. Pants uncomfortable = time to look (right now) at what you are doing wrong. DO NOT GO BUY BIGGER CLOTHING.

2- Stick to exercice....this part is there until you die of very very old age in your bed.

3- Eat good 80% of the time.

Good luck

3-