Been off and on for a few months, but don't have many friend

Options
I have bad knees and a bad back, so have a hard time with exercise but need to do something to lose weight (I need to lose 20-30 pounds) and eat healthier. Been a bad day today for my eating and decided that I need to take some accountability for what I am eating - hopefully it will help me make better choices. As far as my knees, I will be scheduling something with an orthopedic to check out my knees, it has gotten so bad that I have a difficult time going up and down the stairs in my house. Scared to death of surgery, and pretty sure that is what they are going to have to do. And I have a herniated disk in my lower back and only takes a wrong move to make my back go out. I moved to NJ a year ago and really don't know anyone here, and I think I really need to have a support base to help push me.

Replies

• kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Hiya! And welcome aboard. I'm sorry to hear about the pains you have with your knee and back. After evaluation, I think it would be beneficial for you to work with a trainer who knows how to train individuals who are undergoing knee rehabilitation. S/he can work with you to rebuild strength in your knees and back. I hope you have a great experience here on MFP!!

always,
    Tammy
  • TazzytheMotivator
    TazzytheMotivator Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I wish you well on this journey! Please feel free to add me if you like.:smile:
  • lisaweaver3
    lisaweaver3 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I saw your post and can totally relate! I have some bad knees and a mediocre back. I also tend to get tendonitis fairly easily. I love the Leslie Sansone walking dvds. Very easy on the joints, no difficult moves, very good at getting the heart rate up. I also do some pilates dvds. Pilates can change your life by building up your core muscles-i.e. your abs and mid-section. Once you have some good muscle tone it takes a lot of stress off of your back. Hang in there! You've got to build some muscle to get the weight off. I also did a group at my church called First Place. It was about accountability to yourself, others and to God. If you're not a believer, the application of the common sense side of it is amazing. Teaches excellent dietary nutrition hand in hand with keeping a food journal and doing daily exercise. Let me know how you are doing. And where do you live in Jersey? I have family up there. I'm currently in the Jersey of the south aka Florida!
  • Busymomshantell
    Busymomshantell Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I saw your post and can totally relate! I have some bad knees and a mediocre back. I also tend to get tendonitis fairly easily. I love the Leslie Sansone walking dvds. Very easy on the joints, no difficult moves, very good at getting the heart rate up. I also do some pilates dvds. Pilates can change your life by building up your core muscles-i.e. your abs and mid-section. Once you have some good muscle tone it takes a lot of stress off of your back. Hang in there! You've got to build some muscle to get the weight off. I also did a group at my church called First Place. It was about accountability to yourself, others and to God. If you're not a believer, the application of the common sense side of it is amazing. Teaches excellent dietary nutrition hand in hand with keeping a food journal and doing daily exercise. Let me know how you are doing. And where do you live in Jersey? I have family up there. I'm currently in the Jersey of the south aka Florida!

I am in Clinton, NJ - just moved here a little less than 2 months ago. Been in New Jersey for a little over a year. I have an Elliptical, but don't have the discipline to do it. I will have to look into the dvd's and see how those are. I go to the store and walk every single isle back and forth to get in some walking exercise. I was riding my bicycle prior to moving, but with winter around the corner, won't be doing any riding during the winter. Still trying to get the garage unpacked prior to the winter and get stuff gone through and cleaned out so I can get my car in the garage. I have never tried Pilates, but have heard good things about it. I am thinking that having accountability to myself and others may give me a little more encouragement to stay on track and make some positive changes.