Logging home food

Options
Hi all,

OK so when I eat out it's super easy to log food and you normally get the correct/accurate calories but I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure out how to log food purchased in the deli at the grocery store (sandwiches) and other items from mom & pop resturants and those who post no calories or other nutritional information. If anyone has ideas I'd love to hear from you. I'm sure many people are running into this scenario and could benefit. Please feel free to add me and drop me a note! =)

Ciao!

Replies

• Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    I'm curious to know too- I generally "guesstimate" by finding something that sounds similar in the database.
  • olpbabe
    olpbabe Posts: 89
    Options
    I always look up whatever the food item is, and then make an good guess as to which one that pops up it could be. For example, if I eat a brisket sandwich, I look that up in the database. I usually go for ones on the higher end of the caloric scale than the lower end, just to be safe. And if I eat at a mom and pop restaurant, I'll compare it to something that I could get at, say, Cracker Barrel, then just pick the Cracker Barrel item of the one I ate.

Hope that makes sense!
  • starrman9
    starrman9 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I always look up whatever the food item is, and then make an good guess as to which one that pops up it could be. For example, if I eat a brisket sandwich, I look that up in the database. I usually go for ones on the higher end of the caloric scale than the lower end, just to be safe. And if I eat at a mom and pop restaurant, I'll compare it to something that I could get at, say, Cracker Barrel, then just pick the Cracker Barrel item of the one I ate.

Hope that makes sense!

Very well said!
  • prettyprpro
    prettyprpro Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing as everyone else. I usually pick the higher in cals just to be on the safe side.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    This is why I hate eating out. Mom and pop restaurants are still restaurants. Cooking at home is a tad bit different...
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I try to guess as best as I can compared to other things, or search on the internet. I know, I hate it. :(
  • debclif
    debclif Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    This may sound horrible, but if I am going out to a place that does not have posted I just get a chicken or salmon salad and bring my own dressing. You can't go wrong with a salad. I know....BOO! and No FUN!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I try to find something close or try to log based on individual ingredients!
  • duqtape
    duqtape Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered the bar code scanner on the iphone app actually will scan some deli items from the market.
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all your responses. Lots of good ideas here. I love this community. Everyone's so helpful.

9824420.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    HI Deb thanks for the reply. I'll have to try that.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I also find the food that is closest to what I ate and choose the one with the highest calories. I don't stress about it, though. I know many people that quit using MFP because they couldn't log their food becaue they couldn't find it!