To Eat or NOT To Eat

Options
Exercise calories? I keep getting mixed advice! Should I consult my physician? I am trying to lose about 60lbs within the next 8 months, so to help speed up the loss, should I not eat back the calories? What has worked for you? I feel like this is a tricky topic...

Replies

• irishseven
    irishseven Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Don't do it, you'll lose the fat faster!!! I consider those burned calories and stay at my normal calorie count..It's worked for me, I've lost all most 50 lbs. in 100 days!!! Super good luck...
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    This is a HIGHLY debated topic around here. So I can only give you my personal experience. 1 year 3 weeks, no plateaus. I eat back about half of mine, most of the time (sometimes none, occasionally almost all) BUT I don't have a HRM so I do not want to over eat because my calories are off from exercise.

While one or two days (or even a week) of NETTING less than 1200 calories (estimate since every body is different) isn't going to put you in starvation mode, you might find a point at which the amount you are netting isn't enough for your body to allow you to continue to lose weight.

So my best advice is play around with it and see what works best for you. If you're losing not eating them back and you feel comfortably full and not ZOMG starving, then don't eat them back til it becomes an issue. On the flip side if you are hungry and feel like you want to eat them, eat them :D
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    depends. are you workouts like swimming laps for 90 minutes, or walking across a parking lot?

If they are high-demand physical activities, then yes, you need to eat the calories. If you have a lot to lose and you don't really work out very strenuously then you will drop weight either way.

but why would you want to restrict to lose when you can eat and lose? when you eat your full amount of calories, you can still lose, and you won't slow your metabolism, you won't gain weight on a "big eating" day, and you will be less likely to binge/gain/quit out of frustration.

I never get when people refuse to eat their calories. So silly.

BTW I ate over 3000 today.

blessings.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    but why would you want to restrict to lose when you can eat and lose?

This. Exactly. I eat 2300 calories when I work out. I've lost 7lbs in 2 months, which is pretty darn good considering I only had 14lbs to go 2 months ago.
  • Jsnbabb1
    Jsnbabb1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    only eat it the extra calories if your hungry...after all your body will let you know when it is hungry