Having a hard time adjusting to "skinny clothes".

Options
I've been wearing oversized baggy clothes for so long I'm finding it harder than I thought to switch to more form fitting clothes. I am more comfortable in baggy stuff but I know I look, well, bad. I also have gotten so used to not feeling the clothes fitting against my skin that now when I wear a shirt that fits me properly, I feel like every roll and bulge is showing and everyone is looking at me. I know this is not the case since I have been getting alot of positive comments when I wear what fits properly. I know this is a psychological thing, just wondering how you MFPers have developed a more positive body image. I really want to get rid of these fat clothes and never go back.

Replies

• KayaSamantha
    KayaSamantha Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It definitely takes getting used to! I am so used to wearing a sweater all the time and baggy shirts that when I wear normal tops that "flatter my figure" I m constantly sucking my stomach in because I feel like my bumps are showing (even though I don't have them anymore). It gets easier overtime someone compliments me though! Good luck and congratulations on the "new" you!
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Hmm...I've been reveling in the fact that I can wear tighter clothes now and feel good about it.

Maybe take some pictures of yourself and look at them objectively? Or...just wear what you are comfortable with and perhaps as you lose more weight you will feel more secure wearing tighter clothes? As you get fitter, you will probably start to get fed up with the baggy clothes.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Nothing makes you look trim like well tailored, well fitting clothes. A lot of people like to hide in oversized clothes, which really makes them look fatter! You are doing yourself a big favor by investing in clothes that fit properly. I think it's going to take getting used to not only the feel of cloth next to your skin, but the looking in a mirror and seeing someone thinner. Once it becomes your new normal, you won't feel so self conscious. Donate those fat clothes right away, don't even give yourself the option of getting back into them! Oh and by the way, they now make Spanx for men, so in a pinch.... haha! I'd say 3/4 of the women on this site have our Spanx too for those special occasions!
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Oh and by the way, they now make Spanx for men, so in a pinch.... haha! I'd say 3/4 of the women on this site have our Spanx too for those special occasions!

LOL, thanks. I did have a compression shirt, but now it is too big!!!
  • AndreaStar826
    Options
    The day I started my new life style I bought a super cute shirt that was my inspiration and hung it in my closet and everyday I would look at and try it on every once in a while. Then one day it was TOO BIG! When I hit my magic clothing size I took everything out of my closet that was not the magic size and hauled it off to Goodwill and cut up my fat girl dept store credit card. I vowed never to set foot inside of them. It's a different mind set and I understand the comfort zone clothes but moving past the comfort zone and into the fitting better zone is the best birthday :flowerforyou: present I could give myself this year! Good Luck on your journey! You are not alone my friend!
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    This is my starting pic and current after 61 pounds lost. The current shirt is a 2XL and I probably could get in a L. I know I'd look even skinnier, I just need to do it.

MFPbefore.jpg
  • Heidi64
    Heidi64 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My husband forced me to throw away my clothes that were too big. He tried just pulling my pants down when I walked by but then I got to where I had to hold them up while I was on the move. One day while we were folding the laundry, he just took a bag and started filling it. I then went to the closet and added to it. Now I am forced to wear the clothes that fit right and even tho I am still overweight, dang if I don't feel great!!! Good luck to you!
  • greenscrapcat
    Options
    It took me a while too, but you get used to it and some things still don't feel goodon me. Even though people tell me I look good. I still have my baggy pants, you've seen them, LOL!

Miss you :(
  • routerguy666
    Options
    You look good in that second shot. If that's what your comfortable in, I'd run with it. It's not overly baggy.