craving starch, suggestions welcome

I'm working on keeping sugar and processed carbs out of my diet right now. I am not eating starch either. (Please don't reply if you disagree with my choice, I am posting this for suggestions). I have a sugar addiction/carb addiction and I've been sugar (and any artificial sweeteners) free and carb free (except fruit) for over a month. It's getting harder and I have another 5-6 weeks to go. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Replies

• JoanNLV
    JoanNLV Posts: 83
    Posted in error..sorry!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    I don't disagree with your choice but noticed you didn't mention vegetables. Maybe this was an oversight but they provide carbs too without the high sugar content of fruit. I love fruit too but wouldn't use it as my only source of carbs. Most veggies won't give you the same high insulin rush that a lot of (not all) fruit will and this rush can make you hungry for even more sugar/carbs.

My suggestion was going to be to eat more protein but you must be eating plenty already if you're low carbing. So I don't really know what to suggest. I'm trying to keep my carbs lower than in the past but I still have carbs in my milk, peanut butter, multigrain/seed bread etc and these keep me happy.
  • Sorry, eating TONS of veggies. I should have stated that. And lots of healthy, lean protein. Should have mentioned that earlier. Dairy and nuts, that's a good idea!
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    I have found that taking a chromium supplement really helps with cravings for sweets and carbs. What is it that is getting hard? Is it a lack of variety, continuing cravings or some other aspect?
  • dxing
    dxing Posts: 115 Member
    Most people eating on a reduce calorie plan for an extended period of time have reduced leptin levels. Your body produces less of this hormone when you aren't eating enough and pretty much halts fat burning while giving you an insane appetite (especially for starchy carbohydrates), because it's getting the instinctive signal that you need more fuel to survive. I would advise you to set a day every week where you eat as many starchy (not processed) carbohydrates as you want in order to replenish leptin levels. By ignoring your body you're setting yourself up for failure in the future because your trying to fight physiological needs (not just psychological).