Drinking or Eating your calories.....that is the question

Options
So juicing is good for you. Smoothies after work are a good way to get a lot of protein in after a work out and for some people on the run in the morning or just cant eat right after they wake up it is a good way to get breakfast. Or for me when I am at work and cant stop to eat but am allowed a "drink cup" with a lid and a straw it is a good way to not skip a meal on a grueling 7 hour shift on my feet. But for the most part I would much rather just eat food then drink my calories. What are all your thoughts?

ps posted this cuz I was kind of bored and thought it would be interesting to see how other people incorporate juicing and smoothies in their diet

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Well if you have no other choice but a "drink", then it's better than nothing. Shakes can be very versatile. You can tweak them to provide whatever nutritional balance you need. They're not always as satisfying as actual food, but they can at least hold you over until you do get whole food, and at least you're getting the nutrition you need. I tend to have anywhere from 1 to 3 shakes a day just to supplement the nutrition I get from regular food.
  • ruthduck
    Options
    What ever works is good and different for each person. For me, it depends on what is in the drink! I need my calories to be solid food to get through the day without going crazy.
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Provided your smoothies aren't filtered, I can't see the harm
  • JoanNLV
    JoanNLV Posts: 83
    Options
    I was told by the pharmacist/doctor team that is helping me that when you eat a fruit or veggie your body is burning extra calories by digesting the part that is not pulverized. However, in your situation it is better to drink the shake rather than not keep something going through your digestive tract.
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    That is what I was curious about. I noticed a lot of people seem to drink a lot of shakes. I do it after a work out cuz well I tend to feel really shaky and a little sick to my stomach after a gym session. To be honest I was a little bored and thought it would be an interesting conversation.

I bought a juicer and like making juices from fruits and veggies. But I noticed lately that well when I have a choice I would rather eat something then loose 200-300 calories on something to drink and wont make me feel full.
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I do both depending on what I feel like and what I have time for. For me, I am considering juicing because I have such a hard time forcing myself to EAT veggies otherwise. Now, however, I am doing protein shakes as my morning snack and it is PERFECT.

I think it is a fantastic idea to drink a few calories while you are at work, especially if you can't stop and are getting hungry. As long as it is something healthy, then you aren't causing yourself any harm!
  • portexploit
    portexploit Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    So juicing is good for you. Smoothies after work are a good way to get a lot of protein in after a work out and for some people on the run in the morning or just cant eat right after they wake up it is a good way to get breakfast. Or for me when I am at work and cant stop to eat but am allowed a "drink cup" with a lid and a straw it is a good way to not skip a meal on a grueling 7 hour shift on my feet. But for the most part I would much rather just eat food then drink my calories. What are all your thoughts?

ps posted this cuz I was kind of bored and thought it would be interesting to see how other people incorporate juicing and smoothies in their diet

I think protein is highly over rated. Some of the most biggest animals on earth eat grass. I have an issue with the entire fruit thing. I am not for them either. I do make green shakes though, pretty much daily... When I was on my wall, i glanced to the right and saw your post. You reminded me of something i wanted to do. I want to consume my calories in a shake form. My diet is 90% green vegetables. The enzymes in them are great for the body(since they're not cooked food) this applies to fruits as well. They are also more easily absorbed. If we don't chew our food to well, it puts a lot of stress on our stomach trying to break it down. If it's already broken down there won't be as much stress this means more energy for you.
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    I don't drink my calories, as a rule. I have milk on my cereal, and coffee, but mostly water after that. Not a fan of fruit juice in general. I'd prefer to eat the apple for 80 calories than the glass of juice for 110. More fiber and nutrients.

Never tried the shake thing and don't really have a need for it in my diet. I aim for a good diet of complex carbs, fruits and veggies, and lean proteins. I don't count carbs, protein, sugars, but I do watch fat, sat. fat and fiber, along with calcium.

So far, I've lost 30 pounds in 4 months. About 2 a week when I hit the gym, 1 a week when I don't.

But that's just me.
  • 1goodymom67
    Options
    Well, first off I am not a nuritionist or a doc this is simply my opinion. Juicing I am sure would be great in the short term. That goes with protein shakes or smoothies. I thoroughly believe that in order to live you have to eat and a "lifestyle change" (I know a cliche) is needed. Whatever a person does it has to be something you can and will do the rest of your life. Juicing is a great thing, there are alot nutrients and vitamins but it can be difficult to do that for an extended amout of time. Also, I have never seen a naturally thin person juice solely or drinking their food. A little of both IMHO
  • courtclerkkris
    courtclerkkris Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I don't drink my calories, as a rule. I have milk on my cereal, and coffee, but mostly water after that. Not a fan of fruit juice in general. I'd prefer to eat the apple for 80 calories than the glass of juice for 110. More fiber and nutrients.

Never tried the shake thing and don't really have a need for it in my diet. I aim for a good diet of complex carbs, fruits and veggies, and lean proteins. I don't count carbs, protein, sugars, but I do watch fat, sat. fat and fiber, along with calcium.

So far, I've lost 30 pounds in 4 months. About 2 a week when I hit the gym, 1 a week when I don't.

But that's just me.

Ditto!!! I will NOT drink my calories either. What satisfaction is there in that? Just not for me!!