Reducing body fat percentage--for you fitness-savvy types

Options
So, I had an analysis done. I'm almost at my goal weight, but the person doing the analysis told me to get my body fat percentage down. She recommended focusing on strength training.

However, Phoenixflame is a broke-*kitten* college student and can't afford actual personal training.

Can some of you fit-savvy types recommend some good machines? I'm not talking about spot training, but targeting the actual muscles and toning 'em up.

Anything else for reducing body fat?

Replies

• Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    So, I had an analysis done. I'm almost at my goal weight, but the person doing the analysis told me to get my body fat percentage down. She recommended focusing on strength training.

However, Phoenixflame is a broke-*kitten* college student and can't afford actual personal training.

Can some of you fit-savvy types recommend some good machines? I'm not talking about spot training, but targeting the actual muscles and toning 'em up.

• dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options

Are you sure there aren't any on campus resources available? When I was a broke-*kitten* college student, I had access to all the University weight rooms, track etc. Even if you don't need a PE credit couldn't you take a Weight Lifting fitness class?
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    No no, see, I DO have free access to a gym, it's just that there's tons of machines. I was asking for any advice on particular machines to focus on.

Haha, I was going to get one or two personal training sessions (in which I get a discount)...but I was just in a car accident where the person at fault managed to very sneakily be a lying *kitten*, so I might be having to pay a deductible. Hence, no money for cheap personal training sessions.
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I do have a personal trainer, but I can't use the machines, they're just too big for me. So my personal trainer just gets me to use hand weights and the stability ball and the mat for core exercises. It has been great...it is too bad you can't somehow access my exercise to see what I do (or maybe you can...I just hadn't thought of it). Basically, I do a LOT of lunges and squats with weights. i also do a lot of upper body work using the stability ball, which works my core...I do side planks and straight plank (for a minute...three reps of each)...It takes about 40 minutes to get through it all...but I don't use a machine once...all weights. And I feel like I am getting results (losing inches)...it is also the longest I have ever stuck to a strength training routine...about 2 months so far.
    Yikes...long post, If you are interested, let me know and I can write what I do down in detail and message your or something.
    Cheers,
    A.
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    here's what I normally do @ the gym, hope it helps you some...

Legs-
    Inner & Outter thigh machine
    leg curl & extension machine
    leg press
    calf raises
    and then lunges and squats w/dumbells

Arms- I normally just use free weights
    con. curls
    hammer curls
    triceps press
    flye
    upright row
    and then pushups and assissted pullups
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Lets see... I'd find myself a buff hottie college guy who is using the weight machines. After I enjoy the view for a few minutes, I'd walk up to him and ask him if he'd mind showing me some of his favorite moves... um.... machines and how to do them. Technically, I guess you could ask anybody (or my favorite is just watching them and then trying it myself), but I like the whole hit up a hunk... lol
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Lets see... I'd find myself a buff hottie college guy who is using the weight machines. After I enjoy the view for a few minutes, I'd walk up to him and ask him if he'd mind showing me some of his favorite moves... um.... machines and how to do them. Technically, I guess you could ask anybody (or my favorite is just watching them and then trying it myself), but I like the whole hit up a hunk... lol

that doesnt sound like a bad idea...something I woulda done back in my single days (even though I knew how to use the equipment, and was probably in the gym more often than said hottie...HAHA)