Poaching Eggs - help!

Options
2»

Replies

• pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I use an egg poacher purchased from morrisons £5 ,water boiling in go eggs 5 mins perfect, I like my eggs slightly undercooked
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I use a microwave egg poacher too! Other half follows Delia (and his are lovely lol) - http://www.deliaonline.com/how-to-cook/eggs/how-to-poach-an-egg.html
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I use a bowl of water and the microwave. Put the eggs in the cold water in a cereal sized bpwl. Nuke it for about two minutes. The whites stay together and its done quick. Filtered water for some reason doesn't work as well as tap.
  • maygans
    maygans Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I always add a splash of apple cider vinegar to my egg poaching water, it gives it another depth of flavor and it helps the whites stay together. Win-win!

Also I put them on a paper towel on a plate for a minute before putting them on whatever the final destination is (to dry them a bit). I might need to try the whirlpool technique too!
  • Ciarad7
    Ciarad7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVmuMpabOOI

Poached egg using cling film!
  • Nolefisch
    Options
    I picked up very little working in a kitchen when I was younger, but the key is a capful of vinegar. It increased the viscosity of the eggs, keeping them together, whether you swirl them or not. Try it and see if they don't come out perfect!
  • andreaie
    andreaie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    you need tp bring the water to the boil and add vinegar... dont add salt as it makes the eggs fall apart... i could never poach an egg and my chef husband had to teach me.. i have them most days now i lurveeee them... practise makes perfect :)
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    A trick is to add a little vinegar into the water..
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    To poach mine....I have a small pot/saucepan of water, just on the boil. Break the egg/eggs into a saucer or larger dish if necessary. Give the water a good swirl with a spoon to create a mini whirlpool then gently slip the eggs in the water. The spinning water helps keep the whites reasonably intact. A lot depends on how fresh the eggs are to. The fresher the egg the more the white will stay intact. Enjoy.....

Couldn't have said it better myself! The freshest eggs possible, then stir round the edge of a small pan untill there's a whirpool, drop egg into the middle... voila!
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I have a microwave egg poacher. It looks like 2 little boobs. :laugh: I spray the two cups with nonstick cooking spray, put in maybe a tablespoon of water, & crack the eggs into them. Microwave for 1 minute and they're done. They're not rubbery or overdone at all when I do them that way and they've never exploded.
  • mrufki
    mrufki Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Love those things! Will have to buy them....were did you get them?
  • shoegirl2
    Options
    Those green cups are awesome! I'll have to get some, too!

I was always taught to add a dash of vinegar to keep the whites from running all over the place. I use white wine vinegar so it does not add a "vinegar-y" taste. Works for me!
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I do it the delia way. Frying pan with 1 cm or a little deeper simmering water. Break in egg then baste as you would a fried egg. :)

I do this and it's dead easy! I put 2 inches in instead of 1 but it has the same effect!
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    These little green poaching containers are the cutist things I've ever seen. They're such a good idea. Where did you buy them?

Can I just thank whoever suggested these!

I bought them from Amazon and they arrived today- absolutely perfect poached eggs , amazing!

I have just gone and ordered two more so I can poach a load at once :flowerforyou:
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    To poach mine....I have a small pot/saucepan of water, just on the boil. Break the egg/eggs into a saucer or larger dish if necessary. Give the water a good swirl with a spoon to create a mini whirlpool then gently slip the eggs in the water. The spinning water helps keep the whites reasonably intact. A lot depends on how fresh the eggs are to. The fresher the egg the more the white will stay intact. Enjoy.....

do this. you need a small spoon to get a little whirlpool going. btw, i say small spoon, because if the water is too hot to get close to witha small spoon, its too hot for poaching, imo.
  • MamaKatel
    Options
    I use these cute little non-stick boats that float in the boiling water and I crack eggs into them - I used to poach into swirling boiling water but it was a pain drying the eggs off, and sometimes damp paper towel would stick, etc. I'm a sucker for kitchen gadgets :P

egg-poach-pod-e1276037862783.jpg

aren't they cute!

Those are so cute!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i put in a little bit of vinegar to help with the sticking!! also adds a little bit of flavor.