1200 too few?

Options
13»

Replies

• idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I am trying to stick to between 1200 and 1300. I am doing my best to eat clean and healthy but I find myself to be hungry a lot. I would really like to know how to eat clean and feel full and satisfied.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    People don't understand what BMR is. I think if they did a lot more people would be eating around 1600 plus some.

I did that for about 3 weeks ... it caused me to maintain and it was more than enough food for a day. I eat 1250cals on days where I don't exercise and between 1550-1600 on the days I do exercise and that seems to be my magic number. People's bodies are different. Mathematical equations are great, but they don't take into account so many factors. I'm a doctoral student, and I get about 40-60 minutes of exercise 6 times a week. I have an underactive thyroid, AND (it's taken me two years to learn this) I don't have the insatiable appetite I once thought I did when I was shoving enormous bowls of pasta into my face and eating two slices of cake. For my current lifestyle, 1250 is perfect. Now, when I move to Spain in a month and have to walk everywhere, this may not be the case, in which case I will reexamine my eating goals.

All of this is to say that while you (not just you, but in the general sense of people questioning then 1200 cal thing) may find that you lose at your BMR or higher than that, not everyone will. I'm not at 1250 because I want to lose faster, but because that's the number that allows me to lose at all.

All best to all of you with your individual goals!

This, exactly. I'm set at 1250 + exercise calories. I tried upping my calories to 1350 because I kept reading threads that said "eat more, lose more." Guess what: my weight loss slowed to an absolute CRAWL. It's not hard to stay at 1250 on non-exercise days, either. It's a matter of food choice.
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    People don't understand what BMR is. I think if they did a lot more people would be eating around 1600 plus some.

I understand what my bmr is. I also understand what works for me and what doesn't. I have not experienced any bad symptoms. And I feel excellent!!
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i tried 1200 calories and guess what, i started to gain weight. TAlked to my trainer and a nutritionist and they said with the amount of workouts i do, 1200 calories was too low and my body went into starvation mode and thus the weight gain. They had me go to 1400 calories, started losing the weight and now im up to 1500. Im training for a marathon, and with too low of calories, there would be no way in hell i would have the stamina or energy to do any of my workouts!