Ladies - Weight loss & cycle/TOM changes?

Hey there everyone. I've been at this weight loss business for quite a while now, have had my ups & downs & all of that, but I'm starting to notice some changes & I'm not sure if this is normal or something I should check in with my Dr about.

I've been overweight essentially my whole life. I've pretty much never had a normally regulated period. Now that I've lost weight it is starting to even itself out, coming every 6-7 weeks. I know this is a long cycle but I also know that weight really can affect things like that & I do have quite a bit left to lose. My issue though doesn't actually have to do with my TOM, its actually my whole cycle in itself. As best as I can predict, I should be expecting my TOM within the week. Ive never been one to have PMS or get moody around my period, but the last few months & especially this month I have been terrible. I feel depressed&moody, I have been snapping at people, & basically I've become a b!tch I never was before. I'm wondering if weight loss could be throwing off my hormones, or if possibly there could be a deeper issue. About a week & a half-2 weeks ago I experienced severe one sided pain that I am certain was due to ovulation.. I'm concerned about PCOS (my mom has it), but I had my annual exam in June & the Dr did not say that anything was out of the ordinary.. however I wasn't having these issues then either. I've heard some about premenstrual dysphoric disorder but don't know much about it.. all I know is right now I'm in my own personal hell, feeling like someone I've never felt like before. Usually I'm the type that if I embarrass myself I brush it off & get over it quickly, now I made a fool of myself 2 days ago after drinking a few too many at the state fair & I hardly want to leave the house. I just don't feel like myself, & was just hoping someone could relate/point me in some sort of direction. Thanks everyone <3

Replies

• beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    For most women weight loss and gain does affect hormones. I have experienced it myself firsthand. I would talk to my doctor if the feelings don't go away or if it happens again next month.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Are you on the pill at all? I know that can help regulate hormones and keep PMS to a minimum. Also, Midol works like a goddess for me. It takes away much of the "RAWR!" feeling I have during the lead up to my TOM.

Regarding your side pain, you may want to ask your Dr. about hemorrhagic cysts. I have these from time to time. They're little cysts in your ovaries that will grow (very small) and burst, causing stabbing pain in your side and pelvic areas.
  • nokittyno
    nokittyno Posts: 293 Member
    Would you mind adding me? Or is your list of friends full. Sorry I don't know the answer to your question in MFP. But my cycle has been a rollercoaster for the longest time.

I had an absence of 4 years from my period(2004-'08) a year absence and almost 2 years, and I was given Birth Control to regulate it, and while on it I know I was moody and depressed as my hormones and oestrogen regulated itself(I was low in oestrogen). Are you on BC? that could def. be it. Funny enough I went on vacation 2 weeks ago, and ran out of BC and figured I could skip a refill .. 3 week later or whatever .. I'm 5 days late for my scheduled period(where I was spot on when on the BC) I find lacking my usual BC I am back in the boat of abdominal, side pain and such :/

Another thing is I have pain in my abdomen and such and asked about PCOS, no diagnosis yet but our doctors in Canada kinda suck ..lol.

Good luck on everything though, especially in NYC considering the news and Irene
  • I am no doctor, but from personal experience I can say my mood is definitely worse, cramping is worse, and its every 6 to 7 weeks for me too. I have chalked it up to knowing that weight loss and exercise can screw with your time of the month (some serious athletes don't even get a time of the month). I assume, that the reasoning for that has something to do with hormones in your body..doing..something.
  • lingading
    lingading Posts: 258 Member
    I am on no form of birth control. I wanted mirena, but insurance doesn't cover any birth control & it costs $500-600 to get it.. I have no extra money for birth control & don't really need it right now so I haven't looked into other options..