What do you think? 5 more pounds?

Options
So I reached my goal about 3 weeks ago. I didn't want to go too low with my weight. My goal was to reach 175 pounds, which puts my BMI at 22.5. But I'm feeling like another 5 pounds might be a little better. My BMI then would be 21.8 which is right in the middle for my height (6'2"). The reason I'm thinking another 5 pounds to lose is because I still have that "spare tire" going on. I've been doing P90X and maintaining 175 lbs. But I don't see the gut going away. What do you think? Should I go to 170lbs?

Replies

• bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I'd say you should focus on building muscle which means no more defecit. Go to maintenance and work on strength training.
  • JellyPrz619
    Options
    well you look great right now... maybe lose the 5 and see what YOU think then.. you can always gain them back lol
  • JellyPrz619
    Options
    I'd say you should focus on building muscle which means no more defecit. Go to maintenance and work on strength training.

yeah what she said ^^
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I agree with focusing on more weight training. If you just focus on losing 5 more lbs, you might still end up with the spare tire issue.

Congrats on making goal!!!
  • promiseskept
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about weight but toning. That will do the trick for you. Fantastic job by the way!!
  • Crystalchaos72
    Options
    Weight training for sure......congrats on your loss :)
  • Teenamarie_36
    Options
    I agree, go with the strength training to build muscle. You look great right now! You've done good :)
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Interesting to see this topic. I'm 6', and 1.6 pounds from my goal of 170. I am also asking myself about the extra 5 pounds thing. I did a body fat measurement and came up at 21.99 %. Ideal is 15%. So, I'm thinking at least five more. On the other the other hand, muscle to build, so weight on. Not sure where to go with it. Maybe do a body fat study and see how that number comes up.
  • adamcf
    adamcf Posts: 126
    Options
    Interesting to see this topic. I'm 6', and 1.6 pounds from my goal of 170. I am also asking myself about the extra 5 pounds thing. I did a body fat measurement and came up at 21.99 %. Ideal is 15%. So, I'm thinking at least five more. On the other the other hand, muscle to build, so weight on. Not sure where to go with it. Maybe do a body fat study and see how that number comes up.

That's a good idea. I'm not concerned with how I look, I'm more interested in hitting a goal that is the most healthy. Fat percentage could be the numbers that I should look into.

Thanks
  • adamcf
    adamcf Posts: 126
    Options

That's a good idea. I'm not concerned with how I look, I'm more interested in hitting a goal that is the most healthy. Fat percentage could be the numbers that I should look into.

Thanks

Interesting. I just went through 4 different home body fat estimation calculators. It appears my body fat percentage is likely just under 22%. But at least between 19% and 23%. a good percentage for my height should be 17. I'm gonna focus on that, but continue strength training.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    At this point, you should work on eating a lot of calories and building muscle. I am 5"11" and @ 12% body fat and I still have the spare tire as well. The only way to lose it though it eat very clean (follow the p90x meal plan) and really work to get your body fat down. To put it in perspective, I am 29, 5"11, 190 lbs and I do chalean extreme (back to p90x in a month) and I eat 3000 calories a day. This allows me to still lose body fat and turn it into muscle. I should be losing about .5 lbs a week as well. My overall goal is abs and 6-8% body fat. Also, keep in mind, to gain muscle, you need to fuel the fire.

Based on some basic calculations you should be eating around 3000 calories as well. In all honesty, I find it hard to believe you are 18% body fat. I would look to get some calipers (even from beach body). Below are two calculators that can help you understand your caloric needs.

http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • espinozAgal
    espinozAgal Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    no.. you look great!