Just saw myself on video...

Options
...and I am appalled:cry:

How could I let this happen? How could I let this go on for so long? How can I take this moment of shame and USE IT to motivate myself to make the necessary changes. I am worried I will become so overwhelmed (by how much I have weight I have to lose) and ashamed that I will not move forward positively, but rather spiral into a tailspin.

Any advice?

Replies

• HeatherD
    HeatherD Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    ...and I am appalled:cry:

How could I let this happen? How could I let this go on for so long? How can I take this moment of shame and USE IT to motivate myself to make the necessary changes. I am worried I will become so overwhelmed (by how much I have weight I have to lose) and ashamed that I will not move forward positively, but rather spiral into a tailspin.

Any advice?
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Sure. Take charge!

Get a mental image of the girl you want to be...then work towards becoming that person. I stopped looking in the mirror to find flaws, and started looking for the good things.

Sometimes I had to stop at my hair or eyes....and go no further!:laugh:

But eventually you will see a change. It takes time and dedication.

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    Oh, I can sooo relate.

I have been looking for a horse to buy and in the fall we bought a video camera to tape some footage to show my trainer.

I suppose I have a mental image of what I look like when I ride.. The reality of that video sent me into a tailspin.

For several days I decided that I had no business being on a horse carrying this much extra weight. It took me a couple of days, but I eventually turned this into a firm committment to get to where I need to be by spring, so I can start the horse hunting in earnest without feeling that I am damaging any horse I ride..

Now I have not only inspiration, but a true, heartfelt goal to strive for.. :smile: :smile:

Use this as a starting point to get where you want to be... :drinker: :drinker:

BTW, arewethereyet - you have great hair!! :heart: :heart:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    HeatherD

First off Happy Christmas:flowerforyou:

Current or past photo's can sometimes make or break it for us.. Sometimes we vear off and burn time going in the wrong direction.... not the decision we really want to make ....

Other times we can use this sort of thing as a Spring Board to remotivate us in the direction we know in the end will make our Self Esteem more positive, our bodies healthier, and food will lose it's luster.

I vote spring board!:bigsmile: Food is great for nutrition... it nurishes our bodies and keeps us healthy... working out continues the process our body also needs to keep healthy and fit.

All the benefits we gain are by far much richer than a plate of xmas cookies!:noway: ....confidence, getting our self esteem back, healthy body, our thinking becomes much clearer, our goals turn into healthier choices as well (many goals in life, not just fitness goals it seems:bigsmile: ) oh that's only the beginning of the list...I'm sure many could add on to it....:wink::bigsmile:

You can change things up in your mind and take this experience and turn it into a learning one.....we all have those moments when we see ourselves in the mirror, on tape, in a photo... even as we're in our healthy mode of working our way down the scale......

I think it's as important for our body image to change along with us as it is for our bodies to be rid of the extra weight... otherwise there's a much greater chance that it will come back & more and we then realize we were simply 'dieting' not truly making a lifestyle change...:ohwell:

all the best to you:drinker:
  • satanyanet
    Options
    This happened to me last night, we went to bowling and my husband took a video of my "amazing" game, i feel so bad to see how i let my self gaining 40 pounds in 6 months.
    First thing tomorrow is GOING RIGHT AWAY TO THE GYM.
    We can do it, don´t let this take a wrong "power" over you.