Eating healthy is privilege of the rich?

Options
Agree or Disagree?

Personally I agree, it seems like our grocery bill is higher now that we're making better choices food wise.

http://news.yahoo.com/study-healthy-eating-privilege-rich-040251076.html

Replies

• PhoenixRising11
    PhoenixRising11 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    TOTALLY DISAGREE!

Yeah the rich can buy more and maybe organic food is more expensive than non organic but that doesn't stop you going out and buying healthier choices than you would normally!
    My grocery bill has increased too but so has my health and love for life which is priceless in my opinion.
    Stop spending money on eating out or buying junk food and you will be able to buy the healthier stuff on offer for you at the supermarket.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    There's no doubt that eating healthier is more expensive. Frozen meat vs fresh meat. The price difference is quite a lot. As you'd expect. Processed food can be sold cheaper as it has a much longer shelf life than fresh.

Still, if you CAN afford it, its worth it.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Disagree entirely. There are plenty of cheaper options for "healthy" food. That, and the healthy food really doesn't cost that much more. I think it's just that with processed foods they're incredibly cheap. For instance, I can either pay $1.79 for a head of lettuce, or $1.79 for a whole box of ramen noodles. It's "cheaper" to pick the unhealthy one that will get more meals out of it. My grocery bill has stayed the same, if anything gone down. But that's just my opinion.
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I would disagree.

I find eating real food such as fruit, veggies, meat and dairy is less expensive that the pre packages and prepared foods.
  • Nishka09
    Nishka09 Posts: 33
    Options
    completely agree
  • simplysara9
    Options
    Disagree -- yes healthier foods are more expensive but they tend to fill you up longer and you eat less... processed foods are cheaper but you tend to eat more of them...
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to be. If you want ready meals then yes, the better ones cost more, but there are plenty of places to buy cheap vegetables, if you are prepared to a) put the time in to cook and b) cut down on your meat consumption (which I believe most people should).
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I thought this was interesting-Of course it's about fast food vs healthy option at grocery stores

http://www.dailyspark.com/blog.asp?post=what_20_will_buy_at_the_drivethru_and_at_the_supermarket
  • IggyL
    IggyL Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't necessarily say it is a privilege of the rich. I do agree that it is more expensive to eat healthy. It has been very difficult for me over the past month being the only income in the household to feed 4 people (2 adults and 2 teens) in a healthy way. We haven't eaten out or spent money on other snacks and stuff, our household bills had to be paid. While there weren't a lot of choices, we managed to stay away from a lot of processed foods (which are much cheaper) and have some fruit. I ended up in the frozen veggie section because I couldn't afford fresh.
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    My shopping bill has gone down.

I come home with 4-6 bags of shopping and it costs me maybe £30-£40.

I used to come home with the same number of bags and spend £50-£60

£3 for a pizza, or £3 for a bag of carrots, a bag of potatoes AND a bag of apples.

The latter lasts longer (meal wise) is much healthier, more filling etc.
  • hollybearrington
    Options
    I make-do with what we can afford. stuff that is on sale. Also the way I look at it if family is eating something I know would be bad for my diet I walk away. I know in my head what is and isnt good for me. but if I give in like the other night they were eating chips and I really wanted something salty I gave in and ate 4 chips and I made myself leave afterwards.
  • randomgyrl
    randomgyrl Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I agree, I have found since I am buying fresh fruits and veggetables, and less processed food I am spending more. I also find that I am going to the store more often because the shelf life on fresh foods just isn't as long.
  • Hananiah
    Hananiah Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Disagree...

After eating healthy you won't have to go to the doctor as much. You may not need certain prescriptions anymore. Also, you lessen your chances of having heart attack, stroke, heart disease etc... That can make your medical bills go high.

So, you can buy Easy Mac and Ramon Noodles and save $$ on your grocery bill, but you better stock it away for when you need to get care at the doctor and/or hospital.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    My grocery bill has actually gone down a little. We (hubby & me) eat very little red meat now. I look for the sales. I make more of my own foods. I do a lot with soups. The stock freezes well and when I need it, it's there.
  • suzieduh
    suzieduh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I totally disagree

It depends on where you shop. I can get a box of cherry tomatoes from Sainsburys for £1.50 or from a local market for 39p - no contest. It all depends on where you shop and if you buy in season or not.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i would normally totally agree BUT....
    if you know what you are looking for then you can manage to get round it!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I spend a lot less on shopping than many people, and eat a lot healthier. Really, cut down on the meat consumption! It's what makes shopping so expensive.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I completely disagree, but I don't consider frozen veggies 'processed' when I need to be able to make them last longer than fresh ones would in my fridge. I am buying less icecream, less processed treats, all I buy from the cereal isle are bran type flakes, shredded wheat, the occasional treat box for my kids, and fiber one bars. milk hasn't gone up, I buy lots of cheese, red meat hasn't gone up in the last few months either, I've cut down on the red meat, and turkey is less expensive, for the same effect in recipes where ground beef is used. our grocery bill may have gone up a tiny smidge (maybe $10/month) but our restaurant/McD's spending has dropped to almost zero.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Disagree! My family came to Canada without a whole lot of money but I was an active and healthy kid. We ate meals cooked from scratch (short of growing our own produce and milking our own cow lol) from whole foods and always had fruit and veggies. What we did NOT do is go to fast food every week or eat processed food out of boxes. More people need to learn how to cook and then they can make their own chicken and rice dishes instead of eating junk like chicken rice-a-roni for example.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Disagree. Yes, it may be more expensive if you want to shop at Whole Foods for fresh produce and meats, but there are plenty of healthy and inexpensive foods choices. Leaner cuts of meat are usually cheaper (with the exception of ground meat, but compare flank steak to NY strip), frozen veggies are as healthy as fresh and relatively cheap, you can shop for what is in season and on sale for veggies and fruits, hit farmer's markets, etc... Watch for sales on chicken, fish, etc... and stock up. Cook foods in a healthy way rather than loading them up with fats (grill or broil meats rather than fry, steam veggies and don't load up with sauce or cheese or butter). Legumes are a great source of protein and they are cheap.

The whole "I'm poor so I have to eat bad and be overweight" is just a lazy cop out. Certainly if you have more money you have more choices, but that doesn't mean you don't have any choices if you have a lower income level. And the rich also have more unhealthy food options (expensive multicourse restauarant meals??), so it comes down to personal choice. You (general 'you', not directed at OP) can choose to eat healthy, or you can choose to eat unhealthy and make excuses for yourself that no one but you believes.