Random Craving for Fries

Hi MFP,

Last night, I had french fries for the first time in over a month. I only had a few and thought that would be it. This morning, I wake up and I have a ridiculous craving for fries! Eating breakfast has helped, but I'm still hungry and I still want fries. I haven't had any desire for fries since I began eating healthier and exercising. Last night I had some just because they were there, but not because I was craving them. Where did this craving come from? Any suggestions? Should I just give in to this one or should I try to ignore it?

Replies

• SetecAstronomy
    SetecAstronomy Posts: 470 Member
    Hi MFP,

Last night, I had french fries for the first time in over a month. I only had a few and thought that would be it. This morning, I wake up and I have a ridiculous craving for fries! Eating breakfast has helped, but I'm still hungry and I still want fries. I haven't had any desire for fries since I began eating healthier and exercising. Last night I had some just because they were there, but not because I was craving them. Where did this craving come from? Any suggestions? Should I just give in to this one or should I try to ignore it?
    It's funny you bring this up...this past Friday I also had a craving for fries. I "satisfied" said craving with a value size order of BK fries (but paid for it in terms of calories...ugh).

I concluded it was more of a hunger for something salty.
  • Nikki_is_Knotty
    Nikki_is_Knotty Posts: 248 Member
    I always let craving be unless they are very persistent. But i usually allow myself to eat things im craving, but i always make them work in my calorie allowance for the day!
  • Kristy144
    Kristy144 Posts: 166
    Eat them otherwise you will binge!

Heres a great recipe for low-cal oven fries:

1tbsp light Olive Oil
    1 or 2 Potatoes (Depends on how many you are serving, one if just for yourself)
    Cut into thin wedges, place oil and fries into ziploc baggy shake and allow the oil to coat the fries, place on aluminum foil lined baking sheet, sprinkle with salt/pepper. Cook @ 425 for 20 mins then flip and cook for 15 mins.

They are soooo good and low cal! Great for those nights you want fries, but without all the nasty fat/calories!
  • homeport51
    homeport51 Posts: 198 Member
    You are going to get responses from both sides... the ones who say don't deprive yourself, just eat in moderation and the ones who tell you that if a few cause intense craving, then leave them alone. Only you can decide which way to go is best for you.

I'm a trigger person. A few trigger me into wanting many, so I just don't touch them any more... There have been studies that show that eating fat and salt, especially in combination with sugar, triggers the desire for more. Hence MacDonald's is a billion dollar industry today... I don't know if that is true for everyone, but it is certainly true for me.

Just remember, the craving will go away, whether you eat the fries or not.
  • How about trying to satisfy it with a healthy alternative to fries? I know when I crave fries I try to stay away from the real deal and prepare one of the following healthy alternatives instead.

- Boiled, salted, edamame (salty, starchy - works for me, lol)
    - Parnsip "Fries" (http://ohsheglows.com/2010/04/16/these-fries-will-change-your-life/)
    - Baked Zucchini "Fries"
    - Sweet Potato Fries
  • Hananiah
    Hananiah Posts: 128 Member
    Make some baked sweet potato fries. My guess is you are craving the salty flavor. If you need the salty flavor there are salt alternatives (like No Salt), that taste salty but have no salt or sodium.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Don't give in. They are totally addictive! I almost never eat them, but once I do, I want them the next day, and the next. Better not to start.
  • Nikki_is_Knotty
    Nikki_is_Knotty Posts: 248 Member
    Thanks for the fries recipe!! I will def use this instead of going to BK also :)