Is strength training necessary?

Options
I don't wanna be buff or anything. I just want to be thin. So do I really have to do anything besides cardio? I HATE anything besides cardio haha. I can run, bike, swim, all that junk, NO PROBLEM; when it comes to crunches, training with weights and all that crap, I hate it. So do I actually have to do it? All comments appreciated :)

Replies

• bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    No you don't have to...but you should... Because if your new looser skin has nothing to rest upon, it will be droopy and sad. Unless you eat a huge overage of calories and do heavy lifts for few reps, you won't look like the she hulk.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    First of all, you can't gain muscle on a deficit. Secondly, women's bodies aren't designed to get really buff (you won't turn into one of those super weight lifting champions just by lifting weights). What will happen, is you will tone your body, often you'll look slimmer and better defined than what the scale says, you'll burn calories faster, and you'll fit better into clothing. Weigh the benefits for yourself!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    don't go overboard but do a little :)
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    This recent thread has some interesting info regarding your question:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/328354-women-strength-training-for-real
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Necessary? Well, I suppose not. But, I want to look lean and toned - not saggy and flabby. Unfortunately, if you don't build any muscle - you will end up with the "skinny fat" look.

As a woman, it is impossible for to get all buff unless you are taking supplements. You don't have enough testosterone in your system to make you "buff"or big.

Cardio burns the fat off, but strength training is what makes you look nice and toned. I doubt anyone wants to have saggy, hanging skin left after losing weight - strength training will counteract that.
  • BigCed77024
    BigCed77024 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    @Jocelyn you won't turn into a bodybuilder by doing weight training. I would suggest light weights and 20-30 reps. I actually train my female clients to do 60-90 seconds of continuous reps not using more than 20-30lbs per exercise. It develops lean muscle and makes you stronger in the process.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    You can train without getting buff. In fact unless you eat a TON of protein and train very hard with heavy weights and/or use steroids you(as a women) would not likely get super buff.

But I think you should because lean muscle helps us burn more calories and the fat stores.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    No you don't HAVE to...

But those of us who recommend it have found it gives really good results - I go to Body Pump class which is fun, for starters, and back in December I started lifting heavier there.

Since then -

I have lost about 20lbs
    My arms and legs look fantastic
    I have much greater fitness in other classes (stronger, faster, harder, longer..) and I'm sure that's cos I now have strong muscles.

It's worth doing if you can - but if it's not your bag then it's not compulsory.
  • IggyL
    IggyL Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Losing weight without any strength training could mean you are burning muscle and not all fat. If you don't want to be "skinny fat" you should incorporate some strength to keep your muscles toned.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    no you dont have to. Do it if you want to. Theres lots of benefits to it apparently, but i think the best thing with exercise is to stick to what you actually enjoy doing, to avoid it feeling like a chore.
  • pleasepleaseno
    pleasepleaseno Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know any good weight training exercises for beginners?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    I don't wanna be buff or anything. I just want to be thin. So do I really have to do anything besides cardio? I HATE anything besides cardio haha. I can run, bike, swim, all that junk, NO PROBLEM; when it comes to crunches, training with weights and all that crap, I hate it. So do I actually have to do it? All comments appreciated :)
    Nope. You can lose weight and be thin without weight lifting. Problem is that as you age you metabolism slows down, you lose lean muscle tissue, and you'll have to do LONGER and LONGER sessions of cardio to compensate.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Does anyone know any good weight training exercises for beginners?
    Just do one exercise you LIKE for each body part. Go to bodybuilding.com's exercise section and you can see the exercises on video just by clicking a body part.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    There are some beginner routines on bodybuilding.com. You can pick up the Power 90 DVDs (not P90X, but the original beginner series Power 90) if you prefer working out at home. It has a couple of great beginner total body weight routines you do 3 times a week and are under 45 minutes each.

I lost a lot of weight by being a cardio junkie. I ended up skinny fat. I am currently a "healthy" weight (around 140 pounds) with a "normal" BMI. I also have a whopping 32% body fat and am completely and utterly mushy. Which is why I am now picking up heavy weight and putting it down at least 4 times a week and pretty much ditching most of the cardio I used to do. Cardio has its place, but most women put way too much emphasis on it and not nearly enough time doing weight training.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to be "skinny fat" you should incorporate some strength to keep your muscles toned.

what she said.
  • watchmeshrink16
    watchmeshrink16 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Nope. You can lose weight and be thin without weight lifting. Problem is that as you age you metabolism slows down, you lose lean muscle tissue, and you'll have to do LONGER and LONGER sessions of cardio to compensate.

Seeing as the OP is 18, I think she has a while before she really has to confront that problem.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Seeing as the OP is 18, I think she has a while before she really has to confront that problem.
    And going into college. You know the stats for the first year.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I find that similar to cardio, resistance training wasn't all that fun when I first did it. But now I'm hooked for life. I think if you give it a chance, you might like it.