Should fruit be included in daily sugar intake?

Options

Replies

• jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    How can a raw orange be bad for you - unless of course you're diabetic. It's high in sugar, but I am only counting processed foods.

only counting processed foods - maybe you should try adding more whole foods (thus removing processed options). Eating 2 oranges could have the same effect as a bag of skittles in the body.

Just b/c something is marketing and thought of as healthy, doesn't mean there are better choices out there.
  • Remo_Williams
    Options
    Sugar is sugar - just like fat is fat. You are tracking an entire category.

If you want to track fructose vs. glucose vs. galactose then that is a different question, just like tracking saturated vs. monounsaturated fat is not the same as just tracking "fat".

Also if you choose to exclude fructose from the "sugar" equation, make sure you also realize that plain old table sugar is 50% fructose and 50% glucose, and that the evil high-fructose corn syrup is 55% fructose and 45% glucose.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    fruit sugar is different than processed sugar so don't worry about it. Just look at the sugar content of processed foods you eat and if you keep to a goal of like 5 sugar or less that should keep you under 25g for processed sugars.
    How is it different? Your body processes it exactly the same as any other sugar. The only difference is the fiber and vitamins in fruit.
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I do not trust anything that says to limit your intake of fruits and vegetables.
    Every single pound you see lost on my ticker has been from ignoring the sugar recommendation when it comes to all natural sources.

I eat any and all fruit- even the incredibly high in sugar grapes, bananas, and dates. *gasp*
  • Jennifer217B
    Options
    You should count fruit sugar. Sugar is sugar is sugar. No matter what the source, it's still on the glycemic index.
  • jjrichard83
    Options
    fruit sugar is different than processed sugar so don't worry about it. Just look at the sugar content of processed foods you eat and if you keep to a goal of like 5 sugar or less that should keep you under 25g for processed sugars.
    How is it different? Your body processes it exactly the same as any other sugar. The only difference is the fiber and vitamins in fruit.

Quoted for truth ^

People stop spreading your "bro-science". If you don't know it, make sure you put "this is my opinion" b/c many people on here will just look for posts that support their existing idea and learn nothing from the ones that know what they're talking about.
  • hmadrone
    hmadrone Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Fructose in unprocessed fruits is metabolized very differently from free fructose in things like juices. In its natural state, the fructose in fruit is bound up in fiber. It releases much more slowly into the bloodstream than processed sugar or the sugars in juices.

That said, it's good to focus on lower glycemic-index foods, like vegetables. And it's better to get your sugars from whole fruit than from processed sweeteners or juices.

It's hard to get too much sugar from whole fruits, but really easy if you're eating processed fruit.
  • jjrichard83
    Options
    I do not trust anything that says to limit your intake of fruits and vegetables.
    Every single pound you see lost on my ticker has been from ignoring the sugar recommendation when it comes to all natural sources.

I eat any and all fruit- even the incredibly high in sugar grapes, bananas, and dates. *gasp*

saying comments like "every single pound I've lost has been from ignoring sugars..." shows you dont' know what you are talking about, and you're claiming that is the reason you lost weight, when in fact it might be a number of reasons all rolled up (which is most likely the case).

Limiting veggies is a big no no, and I agree. However limiting fruit is a good idea- you should not eat anywhere near the same amount of fruit as you would veggies in a day.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options

Quoted for truth ^

People stop spreading your "bro-science". If you don't know it, make sure you put "this is my opinion" b/c many people on here will just look for posts that support their existing idea and learn nothing from the ones that know what they're talking about.

+2 sugar turns to fat yeah - but thats because its not used. In fact - if you calories are more in than out and not utilized for energy it gets turned into storage instead.
  • jjrichard83
    Options
    Fructose in unprocessed fruits is metabolized very differently from free fructose in things like juices. In its natural state, the fructose in fruit is bound up in fiber. It releases much more slowly into the bloodstream than processed sugar or the sugars in juices.

That said, it's good to focus on lower glycemic-index foods, like vegetables. And it's better to get your sugars from whole fruit than from processed sweeteners or juices.

true, but many people who are drinking juice on here are drinking processed juice by the looks of their tracking
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Just track carbs and remove the sugar tracker.
  • jjrichard83
    Options
    Just track carbs and remove the sugar tracker.

Once again... carbs are not the enemy and removing sugar tracker is not a good idea. The point of tracking it is to go back and see what works best for you.

there are different types of carbs, and processed differently and at different rates. just like calories, not all carbs are created equal.
  • jjrichard83
    Options
    we need a no bro-science group... lol If someone creates one, add me ;)

I would love to learn from the ones who know their **** and share my scientific findings too ;)
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I was always going over so I just changed it to something different-
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    this!
    That is the exact same thing that is happening to me. Although I feel that it shouldn't be counted because fruit sugars are healthy. Not sure though.. looking for an answer to this aswell
  • jjrichard83
    Options
    this!
    That is the exact same thing that is happening to me. Although I feel that it shouldn't be counted because fruit sugars are healthy. Not sure though.. looking for an answer to this aswell

fruit sugars are NOT healthy in abundance. treat fruit as a "treat" not as an important part of the diet. thats what veggies are for.

If you add in healthier choices, you don't have to remove the bad ones (they will remove themselves) & experiment to see what works! It's an art and science how our bodies react, and we just need to figure it out - however we all do absorb sugars the same way :p
  • ajhumbird
    Options
    I generally do not eat anything that has sugar in it other than natural foods like veggies & fruit and my count is high every day. Today it is almost double and the day is not over yet. But I also have only eaten plain yogurt and fresh fruits & veggies all day - that is it. I would say stay away from processed, eat only natural and eat more veggies than fruit. The fruit has so many good nutrients you can't disregard that.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Yes it should be counted. Sugar is sugar in any form in which you eat it. Avoid processed foods as much as possible as added sodium and sugars add up very quickly. Pay attention to the recommended daily serving sizes as with everything else. Serving sizes are way smaller than I realized before I started paying attention.
    I eat fruit every day. Mostly fresh or frozen with no added sugar.

Too much of anything, even healthy food, is bad for most of us. I know it is how I got to where I was before MFP.
  • jjrichard83
    Options
    I generally do not eat anything that has sugar in it other than natural foods like veggies & fruit and my count is high every day. Today it is almost double and the day is not over yet. But I also have only eaten plain yogurt and fresh fruits & veggies all day - that is it. I would say stay away from processed, eat only natural and eat more veggies than fruit. The fruit has so many good nutrients you can't disregard that.

true. however many of the nutrients in fruits are water soluble so they are out of the system in 2-4 hours. If you are eating for the nutrition value of the fruit, then it's best to spread small amounts throughout the day.

I do feel we are all splitting hairs here. Most of us - even if we make 1-2 small changes will see good results. No need to cut everything out all at once. Just keep adding better choices and the bad ones will make their way out!
  • latoyasmith1985
    latoyasmith1985 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing that you do. When I pack my lunch I bring a lot of fruit for snacks to keep me from getting hungry. If you are worried about the sugar in it maybe you should pack some veggie as well.