Easy stuffed pepper recipe?

Does anyone have a simple stuffed pepper recipe? I thought I saw one online that just called for peppers, ground beef or turkey, instant rice, tomato sauce, onions... and i'm not sure what else. Any ideas?

Replies

• Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Bump!
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Eww, instant rice? You could cook actual rice and throw the ingredients in. I usually use a rice mix like Mexican or Spanish rice, brown some ground turkey, and mix it all together. Stuff into pepper halves and bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until peppers are softened. Sprinkle some cheese on top if you like, and melt it in the warm oven.
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    use some herbs like cilantro or basil...that will taste really good. also, squirt on some lemon juice from fresh lemons into the ground beef or turkey! that will taste delicious
  • LindseyDD
    LindseyDD Posts: 160 Member
    Here is mine and I love it - super simple!

4 - 6 bell peppers (we prefer red)
    1 package ground turkey (we get ours from costco)
    1/2 small onion
    3tsp minced garlic
    1 1/2 cup instant rice (white or brown)
    2 cans tomato sauce
    corn (if desired)

clean bell pepper - boil for 10 minutes

cook turkey with onion and garlic - cook rice and directed while browning turkey

mix turkey and rice together - add tomato sauce and corn

put peppers in oven safe dish - add mixture into peppers putting overflow around them

bake 350 for 30 minutes - add cheese if desired

this is a staple at our house!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Ground turkey, Zatarans Dirty Rice, or red beans & rice reduced sodium, no salt added canned corn, no salt added diced tomatoes
    Prepare the dirty rice as instructed, and add corn and tomatoes (drained). Brown the turkey with some chopped onion, evoo and garlic. Mix all together, spoon into cleaned out red peppers (about 8 for this recipe), sprinkle with a bit of shredded mozz, bake for about 25 mins and done. :)

Enjoy!

Mine come out to be about 300 calories each I believe.
  • caretheaton
    caretheaton Posts: 90 Member
    Oh! I made some just the other night! Here's what I put in it:

1 lb extra lean ground beef (or ground turkey if you like)
    1 uncooked chorizo sausage
    1 can black beans, drained
    2 cups instant brown rice, cooked
    2 cups salsa
    2 cups shredded cheese
    1 packge taco seasoning
    5 large green bell pepers

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a casserole pan with non-stick cooking spray.

Cut peppers in half horizontally and core out. Arrange peppers in the casserole pan.

Brown the beef with the chorizo in a large skillet, so that the chorizo breaks up and flavors the meat. Then mix in the salsa, rice, beans, 1.5 cups of the cheese, and taco seasoing. Evenly distribute mixture in the peppers. Bake for 20 minutes. Sprinkle peppers with remaining cheese, return to oven and bake for another 5-10 minutes.

This was really quick and oh-so-tasty! I put it in the recipe calculator and it came out to 263 calories per a half of a peper.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Does anyone have a simple stuffed pepper recipe? I thought I saw one online that just called for peppers, ground beef or turkey, instant rice, tomato sauce, onions... and i'm not sure what else. Any ideas?
    Thats how I make mine
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    i just made stuffed peppers the other night. super yummy. i brown low fat hamburger with onions and gralic. then add tomato sauce and a can of stewed tomatoes with cilantro and lime juice. i then stuff the peppers and bake. i then add some fat free mozzarella cheese on top. i dont use rice as i gave rice up. too many unnecessary carbs for me :)
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Snack : Stuffed Red Pepper
    178 Calories : 24g Protein : 17g Carbs : 1g Fat

Peppers - Sweet, red, raw, 1 large )
    Nonfat Feta Cheese, 1.6 oz
    1 cup spinach or BB spinach
    1 Fresh Garlic Clove
    Red Onion 2 Tablespoons
    Mushrooms raw 3/4 cup
    Real Turkey Breast 1.6oz

· Spray the red pepper with pam. Throw the red pepper on the top of the grill or stove burner. Yes stove burner.
    · Cook on med/hi until the side is fairly black. Flip and repeat until all sides are done.
    · Scrape off the blackened part. Be gentle enough not to go thru the pepper.
    · Mix or blend all of the items
    · Put pepper into a coffee cup or bowl in the stand up position.
    · Stuff the red pepper.
    · Cook for 15 min at 425.

Enjoy

Great low calorie snack. No, it is not immediate. The micronutrients are phenomenal. Potassium, Iron and the whole works.

For some reason, when I eat this it tends to take away my hunger. :laugh:
  • Jennifernellwebb
    Jennifernellwebb Posts: 209 Member
    1LB TURKEY
    4 GREEN PEPPERS
    2C. COOKED BROWN RICE
    1C. CHOPPED ONION
    2 CAN TOMATO SOUP
    LOW CALORIE CHEESE OF YOUR CHOICE.
    1 TBSP. GARLIC AND HERB ( NO SALT ADDED ) MRS. DASH.
    1 TBSP. LEMON PEPPER

Cook your preferred rice of choice. ( set aside )
    Preheat oven 375 degrees.
    Cut the tops from peppers ( about a 1/4 of the way down ) and clean out pepper .
    Boil peppers 4 minutes and then drain upside down.
    Saute onions ( set aside )
    Brown turkey ( drain ) I run water over it to get that extra fat out.
    Mix all ingredients together and cook a couple of minutes to thicken.
    Spray pan w/ cooking spray
    Fill each pepper w/ mix and top w/ lid from pepper.
    Cook 25 minutes.
    Remove tops, add cheese ( if desired ) and cook another 3 to 5 minutes to melt.
    ENJOY ! :love:
  • siouxzq4
    siouxzq4 Posts: 31 Member
    bump!
  • melissaforster07
    melissaforster07 Posts: 145 Member
    bump
  • bump
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    When I made one the other day, I stuffed it with cooked ground turkey, onions, leftover green pepper, cooked brown rice and tomato sauce. there's not really a set recipe. do what you want with it! I cooked it at like 350 for 20 minutes I believe.
  • Bumo!
  • Copy and paste from my recipe log...no rice, freakin awesome!

Kraft/Colby & Monterey Jack - Shredded Chesse,
    Contadina - Tomato Sauce, 3/4 cup
    Hunts - Petite Diced Tomatoes, 0.5 container (1 4/5 cups ea.)
    Honeysuckle White - Ground Turkey 93/7, 1 container
    A - Veg Cauliflower Raw .5 Cup, 1.5 cup
    Goya Ics - Adobo All Purpose Seasoning With Pepper, 3 tsp.
    Fresh - Generic - Yellow Bell Pepper, 2
    Fresh Produce - Orange Bell Pepper, 2

Ok, that didn't show up well...let me see if I can break that down...

I mixed about a cup and a half of shredded cauliflower with my cooked ground turkey, let it simmer for about 5 minutes and took it off. I put it all in a bowl, added a little cheese (Feta and the Colby), mixed that and started stuffing my peppers. I used yellow and orange because it just tastes better to me. After I stuffed the peppers, I poured the tomato sauce on top, very little...enough to just kind of zig zag, which ended up being a little over half the can (small can), then sprinkled a little cheese on top. Popped in the oven for 20 minutes!

This will make enough for 10 bell peppers cut in half...I had mixture left over, but only made 8.

Took it to work, and everyone loved it. I told them it was cauliflower and no rice after they ate it!
  • We're having stuffed peppers tonight, here's my veggie (or vegan if you leave the cheese out) recipe for two servings

4 sweet bell peppers, deseeded and cut in half
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1 courgette (zucchini), sliced
    a few mushrooms, sliced
    about a quarter of a red onion, chopped - or more, or garlic if you like
    about 10 fresh basil leaves
    a tablespoon of sunflower seeds, toasted
    half a tin of chopped tomatoes
    half a tin of kidney beans
    about a tablespoon of tomato puree
    about 50g cheddar, grated
    salt and pepper

Heat oil in a medium saucepan and gently fry onion/garlic and courgette/zucchini slices
    Place pepper halves in a large saucepan and pour boiling water over, cook for about 5 min then drain
    Add remaining ingredients to onion mixture except the toasted sunflower seeds and fresh basil and cook on low
    heat for about 10 min
    Arrange pepper halves on a baking tray lined with foil, stir in seeds and basil to veg mixture and stuff peppers
    Cover with foil and bake in oven about Gas 5 for 30 mins
    Take out of oven, arrange grated cheese on top and grill/broil for a nice browned toasted cheese top

Serve with whatever else you like - I often put a couple of baking potatoes in the oven before starting the peppers then it's all ready together after about an hour.
  • lrobson555
    lrobson555 Posts: 97 Member
    This is a super yummy and healthy one:

Boil some brown rice, drain and transfer it to a mixing bowl. Cut up some cherry tomatoes and put those in the bowl. Put in a spoon of green pesto and a splash of balsamic vinegar. Mix all together.
    Cut a pepper in half and take the core and seeds out. Spoon the mixture into the two halves and bake for 5-10minutes. Serve!

It's amazing.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    My daughter made chili and put it in peppers, topped it with reduced fat cheddar, then baked until the peppers were soft but not soft enough to collapse. It was delicious!