Is Weightloss Surgery a cop out?

Options

Replies

• spaztastic13
    Options
    I dont like weight loss surgery cuz the simple fact is that you can die from it. My best friends dad died ten years ago from the gastric bypass. He was well over 500 pounds and had diabetes two weeks after he got it he got staph infection and died and he was only 38 yrs old. So ya weight loss surgery is not a good way to go!
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Its a very complex question but i partly agree with your friend. Many of the ones I know who have done the surgery have some kind of eating disorder of some sort, either they are emotional eaters or comfort eaters. Decideing to do a surgery instead of adressing the emotional and psycological aspects of why you are and became overweight is ignoring part of your problem.
    Very few who do a surgery stay thin just because they still havent adressed the whole issue of why they became overweight.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I think it has it's place. If you just don't have the self control to be able to control your portions, it's worth it, because if you are huge, sometimes, nothing you try works, you just can't stick with anything long enough to get the results.

I'd rather not go down the surgery route, but by the looks of things, once i've done all my work, and got to my goal weight, i'll likely need to get a tummy tuck. I have that much loose skin, it's disgusting. I figure if I do all that work, and still have loose skin, i'll never be satisfied, so I'm happy to have a tummy tuck, but that is after I've lost my weight, got to my goal, kept it off, and kept with my new disciplined ways for a couple of years.
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything against people getting surgery if they actually use it to help themselves.

My mother-in-law had a lap band back in like 06 or 07. I was around enough to see how much she got sick if she even ate just a tiny bit too much. She was always taking off for the bathroom. She did lose a lot of weight but now that it's been so long she has gained back at least half of what she lost-maybe more. Once she was able to eat pretty normal they got all the same things. I can always go to their house & expect oreos, chips, ice cream, candy etc.

I just don't understand why some people put their bodies through so much stress just to go back to the beginning. It makes me kind of sad to see because I was so happy for her when she had lost her weight. She has had some hard times in her life so I am thinking she never did anything to try to fix her emotional issues first.
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. Maybe if you could remove excess skin after loss?

But also, the most important thing is a change of lifestyle and diet. if you have the surgery but continue to eat junk, then yeah, it is a cop out.

My friend was telling me the other day about a guy who had a six-pack surgery but still ate loads. So he ended up 5 years later with a six-pack but a pot belly also. SO WEIRD.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Weight loss surgery is not the healthiest option, surgery, certainly isn't healthier for you than eating less.............
    A calorie deficit means you lose weight, take in less than you burn.
    Weight loss surgery is the equivalent of paying somone to slap the food out of your hand on the way to your mouth.
    Which for the cost of weight loss surgery, i would be willing to do!

The fact of the matter is no one NEEDS the surgery, they NEED to eat less, and the surgery makes that happen. I have sat next to somone with a lap band struggling to get jello down, REALLY?

It can work, and for people without the willpower to eat less, it may FEEL like the only option. But it is not. I am not against it, but for me personally, getting that surgery would be admitting that I wasn't in control of myself, and we all control what goes in our mouths..........
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    The only person I know who has undergone this procedure is a scoundrel, so my perception may be coloured a touch. She demonstrated what I had suspected of people who undergo the procedure: she wasn't yet overweight enough to qualify, so instead of trying to get in shape, she ramped up her bad eating until she had gained enough weight to get the surgery. Once she got it, she lost a lot of weight, which eventually tapered off since she didn't do anything else to change her lifestyle and habits. Now she's gained all her weight back, takes a battery of supplements, feels ill, and has had her gall bladder and a hysterectomy due to hormonal imbalances.

Maybe it's a tool some people can use, but is it really worth it in the long run, when one da you are healthy and you have to deal with taking extra vitamin supplements every day?
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    The only person I know who has undergone this procedure is a scoundrel, so my perception may be coloured a touch. She demonstrated what I had suspected of people who undergo the procedure: she wasn't yet overweight enough to qualify, so instead of trying to get in shape, she ramped up her bad eating until she had gained enough weight to get the surgery. Once she got it, she lost a lot of weight, which eventually tapered off since she didn't do anything else to change her lifestyle and habits. Now she's gained all her weight back, takes a battery of supplements, feels ill, and has had her gall bladder and a hysterectomy due to hormonal imbalances.

Maybe it's a tool some people can use, but is it really worth it in the long run, when one da you are healthy and you have to deal with taking extra vitamin supplements every day?

now thats crazy! to get fatter on purpose to get weightloss surgery?!??!?! NUTS!
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I researched it when I first got serious about my health, but chose to try on my own and see if I could be successful. I have been, so far, but as you all know you have to be diligent about your healthy habits. I commend anyone who has chosen the WLS for themselves and in no way consider it a cop out or easy way out. It's saved many from a life of battle with diabetes, heart disease, joint pain. More power to those who chose that option. You have my full support.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    now thats crazy! to get fatter on purpose to get weightloss surgery?!??!?! NUTS!

yes, that is completely despicable.
  • sheppeyescapee
    sheppeyescapee Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I think that not enough is being done before these people get to the point where they are in this position. It's very reactionary and not proactive. Just doing surgeries on people isn't going to get to the root causes or stem the rising occurences of obesity. Just a few ideas here. Regular tracking of height, weight of kids as they are growing, help parents of those who are overweight or obese to get them back on track. Better food education in schools. Subsidise healthier foods by upping the taxes on unhealthy ones, it shouldn't be so cheap to get such bad food. I'm sure to the people who have these surgeries it isn't a cop-out, a lot of them will have been through many many diets and pretty much tried everything they could think of before getting to this point. Over here to have it funded on the NHS there are very strict guidelines and you have to be a considerable weight to be funded for it. Like I said though the emphasis should be on getting to people before they get to that point.

I went to my GP and pleaded for help and was told that I wouldn't get any help until I became diabetic, this is despite having diabetes, high bp, cancer and alzheimers in the near family history. My BMI was 37 at my heaviest, and is now around 33.5. The only thing they could offer was orlistat and weekly weigh ins. Luckily for me I have the motivation to do this without their support, but not everybody is able to do that.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I am too worried about getting myself healthy to spend one moment judging someone else's decisions on how they're going to get healthy. It isn't something I would ever do, but I don't for one minute pretend I have the answers for anyone else's journey.

This. I'm not in a position to say "I'd never do that" but why would I spend my energy judging? There's no calorie burn there.

AND it isn't easy. anyone who thinks it is is kidding themselves.
  • Dolphingirlie81
    Options
    It all depends on the person and their situations. I wouldn't suggest surgery. They are many side effects of gastic bypass and lapbands. My aunt had gastic bypass and ever since she's had trouble with. She lost alot of weight, but she got an infection from the surgery, bleeding inside her stomach,she can't eat and when she does eat, she throws up. and several more things that went wrong with it.All from a gastic bypass surgery. She told me she wished she didn't cop out and got the surgery, she wished she did it the right and healthly way. She regrets getting it.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Ya know... the diet plan associate with this surgery works with out the ripping out of the guts part.

I don't think its really a cop out. More like a poor choice, but then desperate people do dangerous things.
  • beach_bum_gurl
    Options
    There seem to be a lot of judgmental folks here...and it is OK to have your opinion, but IMO, I don't think you can truly comment on whether weight loss surgery is a cop-out or not unless you have seriously considered having surgery OR if you have actually had the surgery. Here is MY story...and no, I don't think it's a cop-out~

About 8 years ago, one of my close friends had surgery. At the time, I told her, "you are so brave, I could never do this". Why did I say this? Well, where do you think the minority of the patients that DO have complications come for treatment??? Why, the ER of course. And as an ER nurse all I ever saw were the complications, not the successes, which by far are the larger number of patients.

About 5 years ago, however, I had seen how my friend had had such a success with her surgery, and I had continued to struggle with my weight (which I have been doing since childhood- when I was 8, I weighed 167 pounds, a memory crystallized in my head, getting on the scale at the doctor's office). I have been on almost every diet out there and could loose weight, but even after losing some weight I would still technically be considered overweight, but then I would gain it back and tack on 20+ more pounds. I also was having a harder time just doing activities of daily living without expending a great amount of energy, becoming short of breath with simple activities such as taking a flight of stairs, and noticing little things like ankle swelling, which at 35 WAS NOT NORMAL. I knew that I had to make a change, and nothing in the past had worked long term for me. So, I went to a information session offered by my friend's surgical group.

I learned a lot about the surgery, the statistics, the complication rate, which by the way, is not higher than other abd. surgeries for most people. I also learned that for those people who are classified as morbidly obese, having a Body Mass Index of between 30% and 49%, the success rate for long term success has been shown to be as high at 93%. I liked my odds with that one. I also was fairly healthy despite my weight at the time, but I knew that if I continued that there were many co-morbidities (diabetes, high blood pressure, etc). that could be coming my way with age.

The process prior to surgery and then therapy after surgery was as important to my success as the surgery was, IMO. As someone mentioned, there are a lot of "head" issues that need to be dealt with as well. The surgery was just a tool to get me started and now that I am 5 years out have to "buckle down" and do the hard work to maintain. One of the wonderful things that I have noticed after surgery is that I know when to stop. Physically now, I feel full. I had lost this ability to feel satiety prior to my surgery. Also, since surgery, probably due to the decrease in my grehlin, I do not feel physical hunger. Yep, that's 5 years without physical hunger. Now head hunger is another issue. It is the devil, and I really have to watch out for this still. However, as I said before, therapy post-op is so important to success, IMO. I have learned in therapy strategies to help with the head hunger. Most all of my meals are planned now. I eat every 3-4 hours. I am maintaining 5 years out , actually I am losing...I want to lose a few more just because :)

My life is so much better since the surgery. There are so many simple things in life that I now enjoy that I could not before...crossing my legs, sitting comfortably in a booth, running, wearing a 2 piece bathing suit, having men pause to open doors for me, having salespeople help me when I shop for clothes...the list goes on...

So my answer is no...weight loss surgery is not a cop-out...it is a choice, a very personal choice...and one that should be respected. You have not walked in my shoes.

Surgery was the best decision I have ever made. However, that being said, I tell people that it is a very personal decision, and it may not be right for them. I encourage anyone who may be interested to do your research...and then decide!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It's like any other tool. It can be used properly or it can be used improperly.

I have a friend who literally tried every other method of weight loss, and this was her last resort. It's worked brilliantly for her and she's healthy, strong and vibrant.

I knew another girl who didn't qualify in the US, had it done out of the country, and had years of complications, and eventually passed away from one of those complications. She was in her early 40s. Devastating.

I know a few others with varying degrees of success between those extremes.

No matter what, it's not "easy."
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    There seem to be a lot of judgmental folks here...and it is OK to have your opinion, but IMO, I don't think you can truly comment on whether weight loss surgery is a cop-out or not unless you have seriously considered having surgery OR if you have actually had the surgery. Here is MY story...and no, I don't think it's a cop-out~

About 8 years ago, one of my close friends had surgery. At the time, I told her, "you are so brave, I could never do this". Why did I say this? Well, where do you think the minority of the patients that DO have complications come for treatment??? Why, the ER of course. And as an ER nurse all I ever saw were the complications, not the successes, which by far are the larger number of patients.

About 5 years ago, however, I had seen how my friend had had such a success with her surgery, and I had continued to struggle with my weight (which I have been doing since childhood- when I was 8, I weighed 167 pounds, a memory crystallized in my head, getting on the scale at the doctor's office). I have been on almost every diet out there and could loose weight, but even after losing some weight I would still technically be considered overweight, but then I would gain it back and tack on 20+ more pounds. I also was having a harder time just doing activities of daily living without expending a great amount of energy, becoming short of breath with simple activities such as taking a flight of stairs, and noticing little things like ankle swelling, which at 35 WAS NOT NORMAL. I knew that I had to make a change, and nothing in the past had worked long term for me. So, I went to a information session offered by my friend's surgical group.

I learned a lot about the surgery, the statistics, the complication rate, which by the way, is not higher than other abd. surgeries for most people. I also learned that for those people who are classified as morbidly obese, having a Body Mass Index of between 30% and 49%, the success rate for long term success has been shown to be as high at 93%. I liked my odds with that one. I also was fairly healthy despite my weight at the time, but I knew that if I continued that there were many co-morbidities (diabetes, high blood pressure, etc). that could be coming my way with age.

The process prior to surgery and then therapy after surgery was as important to my success as the surgery was, IMO. As someone mentioned, there are a lot of "head" issues that need to be dealt with as well. The surgery was just a tool to get me started and now that I am 5 years out have to "buckle down" and do the hard work to maintain. One of the wonderful things that I have noticed after surgery is that I know when to stop. Physically now, I feel full. I had lost this ability to feel satiety prior to my surgery. Also, since surgery, probably due to the decrease in my grehlin, I do not feel physical hunger. Yep, that's 5 years without physical hunger. Now head hunger is another issue. It is the devil, and I really have to watch out for this still. However, as I said before, therapy post-op is so important to success, IMO. I have learned in therapy strategies to help with the head hunger. Most all of my meals are planned now. I eat every 3-4 hours. I am maintaining 5 years out , actually I am losing...I want to lose a few more just because :)

My life is so much better since the surgery. There are so many simple things in life that I now enjoy that I could not before...crossing my legs, sitting comfortably in a booth, running, wearing a 2 piece bathing suit, having men pause to open doors for me, having salespeople help me when I shop for clothes...the list goes on...

So my answer is no...weight loss surgery is not a cop-out...it is a choice, a very personal choice...and one that should be respected. You have not walked in my shoes.

Surgery was the best decision I have ever made. However, that being said, I tell people that it is a very personal decision, and it may not be right for them. I encourage anyone who may be interested to do your research...and then decide!

Very well said. For me surgery has changed my life. If you break your leg, you get help and get it fixed. For me I also lost the ability to tell if I was hungry or not. Now 10 months after surgery I am reclaiming my health, my vitality, and my determination to be the best I can be, to not be judgemental, to be helpful to others, and to give my body the respect and good food and exercise it deserves. It is a tool to be used wisely, as each day of our lives, filled with choices to use or ignore. Like any other tool it can be used wisely or misused and cause pain and suffering
  • littlegirl42
    Options
    I have a girlfriend tha had the gastric by-pass 2 years ago. She is still having side affects from the sugery. Her body is still lacking alot of nutrients. Her doctor suggested that she take prenatal vitamins. She now regrets having the surgery done. I was thinking about having the surgery. After seeing what my friend went through, I decided I have to stop being lazy and eat right and exercise. I was going to have it done because I thought that would be the quickest way to loose weight. I didn't want to exercise. Thank God I have a made up mind to do it the healthy way.
  • smlamb33
    smlamb33 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    My mom and sister-in-law both had the gastric bypass done and it made me NOT want to have the surgery. My sister-in-law got a staph infection and had to have another surgey to get it all cleaned out and she was so sick for a long time and then after about a year she gained most of her weight back and is now losing weight the right way. My mom had it too and she just looks so unhealthy and has alot of health problems since then, including a vitamin b deficiency and osteoperosis. Not to mention, I was told by a nurse that if you have this surgery done and you ever need a feeding tube, eveb temporarily, they can not put one in. So from my point of view, I think that if you are severly obese to the point where you are having lots of health problems, then I think it could save yuor life. However, if you are just getting it done so that you don't have to exercise and eat right, then I don't think it would be wise.

That being said, I think that it is everyone's own personal choice and they are the ones who have to make that decision. So as for me, I'm doing it the good ol' fashion way, with blood, sweat and tears and I believe that I will be more appreciative of my accomplishments when I reach my goal because I worked hard. Kind of like the difference between paying for own car and having it handed it to you. You're more likely to take care of your car if you worked hard to pay for it, as opposed to your parents paying for it.

GOD is my strength, and as long as he is first in my life, I can accomplish anything!
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Why are people getting uptight about others calling the surgeries a cop out? The OP asked for everyone's opinion.
This discussion has been closed.