Overweight on anti-depressants! Let's start a small group

Options
Hi, my name is Sue and I'd like to start a group for those of us who are trying to lose weight while taking anti-depressants and/or mood stabilizing drugs.

I'm Bi-Polar II and am on medications which cause weight gain (duh!). Losing weight is hard enough without someone understanding what you are going through and how frustrating it is.

Message me or add me as a friend if you're interested!

Replies

• orting514
    orting514 Posts: 153
    Options
    You can count me in i have anxiety and depression issues and take Cexexia
  • Schwarzeaugen
    Schwarzeaugen Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it definitely takes extra dedication -- I'm on several psychoactive medications that can make weight loss difficult.
  • kslindner
    kslindner Posts: 107
    Options
    I take Paxil & Xanax for Anxiety. Sigh. Gained lots of weight while on these meds.
  • gerink
    gerink Posts: 50
    Options
    I have chronic depression and have gained weight following a breakup of 8 yrs and engagement - my weight isn't from the medication but from the depression and my lack of movement. We have tried many many medications and none seem to give that much relief so I am happy when I can just get off the couch. Can I join any way?
  • rachdlew
    rachdlew Posts: 108
    Options
    I am with you I am also BI Polar and on meds. It makes me gain weight faster so I have to be real careful about my workouts and what I eat. It also makes me really tired I could sleep all day if I didnt have a 22 month old baby.
  • sayambular
    sayambular Posts: 205
    Options
    I'm just like you lovely lady, I'm Bi Polar Type II as well and it sucks being on so much medication for something that shouldn't even exist haha. But I know how you feel!!
  • plutoniansmash
    Options
    Similar but different... I have PMDD (pre-menstrual dysphoric disorder) and I've been on high-level birth controls since I was 14 for it. I'm sure The Pill (or Pills, as I've been on about 6 different kinds...) is a contributing factor to why I gained so much weight in the first place, but it's hard to say for sure as I can't go off it to see if it suddenly drops!
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Sent you a separate note - suffer from GAD and mild depression which thankfully is well managed now, but feel free to add me anyone, my tablets now I'm happy with but remember exactly how one was...a nightmare to shift weight!
  • rachdlew
    rachdlew Posts: 108
    Options
    I have chronic depression and have gained weight following a breakup of 8 yrs and engagement - my weight isn't from the medication but from the depression and my lack of movement. We have tried many many medications and none seem to give that much relief so I am happy when I can just get off the couch. Can I join any way?

Dont give up sometimess it takes years to find the right one. Some people dont need them they just need a change f lifestyle to help with their depression. I hate you have not found anything to help yet and I will remember you in my prayers. I know how hard it is to get out of a bad depression.
  • pwdalt
    pwdalt Posts: 14
    Options
    I have been on anti-depressants for over 20 years and my weight steadily climbed to 340 pounds. My psychiatrist is taking me off all weight gain medication. Peggy
  • alexandradeyl
    alexandradeyl Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    my name is alex, im 27, bipolar and ADD, i take prozac and tegretol. also in recovery for addiction, so i go to meetings every day.
  • Sue_Smiles
    Sue_Smiles Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, you are all giving me goosebumps! I'm on the mood stabilizer Lamictal, AD meds Zoloft and Wellbutrin and Klonopin, Xanax and Clonodine for anxiety.

I was diagnosed as Bi-Polar in 2007 after my first hospital visit. Before then I was being treated for depression and anxiety. I was working a very high-stress job and ended back in the hospital in 2009. This time I found the right p-doc and the right therapist and the right drug combo. Don't know why, but it works. After a long talk with my husband, I quit my job and now am a housewife with a husband and cat to take care of. :smile:

At one point in time my weight ballooned up to slightly over 300lbs. Bounced on and off of WW a couple of times, but every time a med change was made, the weight just came back on. I started this year out at 272 and have had success (finally), but of course I'm afraid of what will happen when a med change will be needed.

It's so wonderful to know that others understand. I think it's important also for our own morale (if that's the right word) to know that others struggle with the fight between a healthy weight and a healthy mind.

I don't really want to make this a closed group, I feel that we should be able to come here and talk when we need to.
  • Sue_Smiles
    Options
    my name is alex, im 27, bipolar and ADD, i take prozac and tegretol. also in recovery for addiction, so i go to meetings every day.

Hi Alex. Addiction is enough to handle without being bipolar and ADD. Not to mention Prozac is a weight gainer, I don't know much about Tegretal. Does it affect your weight also? Praying you have a successful recovery!
  • Sue_Smiles
    Options
    I have been on anti-depressants for over 20 years and my weight steadily climbed to 340 pounds. My psychiatrist is taking me off all weight gain medication. Peggy

Peggy, I'd be interested in knowing what your psychiatrist puts you on.
  • jalee71
    jalee71 Posts: 8
    Options
    I am on Zoloft, Clonzepam. I also take two blood pressure medications, thyroid med and two different acid reflux meds. Occassionally take Clonidine for my blood pressure when my regular meds don't work. I want to get healthier so I can get off all of this stuff......hate taking so many meds. I am freaking nurse and take more meds than some of my patients!
  • gerink
    gerink Posts: 50
    Options
    Jalee - I hate taking so many meds too. I'm on Parnate (a MAOI), lamactil, topomax, and a thyroid med, also meds for migraines. It is difficult to keep them all straight at times. I'm hoping that getting back on a strong exercise routine will help to eliminate some of these meds. They say that doing something for six weeks in a row ingrains it in you as a habit and it becomes much less difficult to do. Here's hoping that by doing exercise at the same time every day will make that come true. I too have ended up quitting work due to the depression and have "retired" - hoping to just find a part time position without a lot of stress in a year or so. Does anyone want to start a challenge for Sept - something easy where we all just manage to log in our food every day?:smile:
  • Sue_Smiles
    Options
    Jalee - I hate taking so many meds too. I'm on Parnate (a MAOI), lamactil, topomax, and a thyroid med, also meds for migraines. It is difficult to keep them all straight at times. I'm hoping that getting back on a strong exercise routine will help to eliminate some of these meds. They say that doing something for six weeks in a row ingrains it in you as a habit and it becomes much less difficult to do. Here's hoping that by doing exercise at the same time every day will make that come true. I too have ended up quitting work due to the depression and have "retired" - hoping to just find a part time position without a lot of stress in a year or so. Does anyone want to start a challenge for Sept - something easy where we all just manage to log in our food every day?:smile:

I think that would be a good idea.