Dear Tam

Options
hI Tam Tastic. its a cry for help. i want to be like you. motivated and strong. but somehow i keep on losing my focus and have lost only 2 pounds since i joined in Sept 2-008. i want yoyu to give me a diet and exercise programme

Replies

• nuttyrubs
    Options
    hI Tam Tastic. its a cry for help. i want to be like you. motivated and strong. but somehow i keep on losing my focus and have lost only 2 pounds since i joined in Sept 2-008. i want yoyu to give me a diet and exercise programme
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Hey there!!

I am sorry you are struggling. Trust me, it wasn't always easy for me. I wish at 34, I could tell myself 10 years ago how to do this! It took many years of struggling and doing this the wrong way for me to figure out how to do it the right way.

I am not a professional. All I can tell you is what has worked for me. If you want to email me(or post it on here) what you are doing. How many calories you eat, any exercise you get and what you find to be the hardest part of this, then I may be able to give you some advice on what you can do differently.

For myself, on days I don't work out, I eat about 1400 cals. When I do work out and burn a lot, I eat around 1800-1900 cals. My normal week is I work out Tues, Thurs, Sat and Sun. This week is going to be different because my husband is home until Jan 5th. So I am going to take advantage and get some extra gym time in since he can watch my son and I won't have to worry about daycare.

I start each day drinking 24 ounces of water, even before I allow myself some coffee.

I limit my caffeine. Drinking one cup a day in the morning. Sometimes I will treat myself to a latte or something later on but that is rare. I will drink herbal teas throughout the day if I need something warm.

My goal is to get at least 80 ounces of water a day and I usually meet that.

I eat a lot of fiber! I aim for at least 25 g a day. I usually get more like 30-35. Fiber is great for keeping your blood sugar level and keeping you from feeling that nagging, hungry feeling.

I'm not afraid of fat. I just try to eat the right kinds of fat. Try to get out of the mindframe of "Low fat". Some things it's good to pay attention to that but in general, if you are being smart about your choices and portions, you will be ok! With that in mind, I do indulge in the Light Edy's and Breyer ice creams! LOL More bang for your buck you know!! :wink: :laugh:

I always have fruit and veggies around. Frozen veggies are great. You can get them all year long and they keep well and you can make them when you need them. I always have my freezer stocked with frozen broccoli, asparagus, spinach, etc. and some mixed veggie blends too. I always have bananas and apples around and what berries are in season. A banana is a great source of natural sugar and potassium and I find if I am feeling a little hungry, just eating that can make all the difference.

Baked potatoes are good too!! I often have that (or a Near East whole grain rice), veggie and some sort of protein. Maybe chicken breast, chicken thighs, lean hamburgers, or even the "vegetarian" choices out there. I like the Morningstar Farms chik patties and spicy black bean burgers. They can be expensive though, so I try to limit when I buy them and look for sales.

Soups are great to fill you up with very little fat and calories.

Oatmeal is also great for that and can keep you fueled for hours.

That is how I view food. As fuel. I try to eat things that will "keep me going". I try to use the calories as wisely as I can. I often end my day with some light ice cream or something like that but I have eaten WELL all day. Whole grains, lean protein, light dairy, fruits and veggies.

Anyway, this is hopefully a start. Once you give me some info on what you are doing, I may be able to offer a little more advice.

Take care! :flowerforyou:
    -Tami
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Great post, wonderful information. :flowerforyou:
  • Nonibug
    Nonibug Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I want to hire you Tami:blushing: Are you willing to come to Illinois? Im a great cook...I do laundry AND windows....ok well if you come I WILL do windows.....:laugh:
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Very informative. Thanks. Just a quick question, so you don't do "low fat" you eat regular fat?
  • lisabeavers
    Options
    I just wanted to add that

1) Tam is right (so far that ive seen, Tam is ALWAYS right!!!!! :happy: ). She is at the other end of the road that we are all heading down, jumping up and down, yelling, "I can see you!!! This way!!!!!" and just seeing her posts, well, they are always an inspiration.

2) I don't know that its this way for everyone, but what i found out was that, for me, the first ten pounds were the hardest. It was real work to change my eating habits and get up off my butt and exercise, and generally be good and not turn to food for comfort solace and stress release. The first couple of months nearly killed me. I was in the mindset, oh i have worked so hard and i've only lost 5 lbs or 8 lbs -- I'll NEVER get there, i have sssooo far to go!!! and i have fallen off the wagon many many many times. (I fell off so hard in Savannah i bounced all the way to Tybee Island). and every time i fell off, it was hard to get back up and get back on that wagon. But weight loss -- which really means changing habits -- its not something that just "happens". Just like anything new, it is hard at first and as you go along, doing the things you need to do gets easier. It might take a week for some people, it might take months for others (it took me months!!!) Right now I am down 30+ pounds from my initial weight. For the first time in YEARS, i feel that weighing less than 200 pounds is a reachable goal. When i first started, i hated watching what i ate. Now? I can't finish a meal, period -- not what most people would consider a "normal" meal and its almost easy to stay within my calorie range. When i first started to the gym, oh, i hurt and cudn't do much. Now i can see myself doing better and better each time i go, and I make it there 4-6 times a week (six is the goal, but sometimes stuff just happens). Some days i eat too much, but i've learned not to beat myself up over it. Somedays i eat too little, and i don't worry about that either. Really, this whole thing is a process of learning new habits that are better for you than old habits, eating and moving in a way that is best for your body and your health. If it's hard at first -- well, that's good, because it means you are moving away from the wrong habits toward the right ones. And for a long time, it might not seem like much fun. it might seem hard and frustrating and maybe even undoable. but it is doable, and as you go along, it gets easier and better. You'll find out that when you eat too much, or the wrong stuff, your body will react to it very unhappily. That's better motivation than any scale or clothing to me (I'm a big baby, i hate being sick). You'll find that its hard to eat more than you need, because your stomach shrinks. You'll find that you need to exercise because your body gets stiff or sore or complains otherwise because it likes moving and it needs to move. You just have to hang in there through the first month or so!

My suggestion to you is that you come here every day!!!! Make yourself responsible for entering your information, diet and exercise. That will help. (It is still such a thrill when I see that i have made my protien goal or fiber goal!!!!) Read the posts, make posts of your own. We will answer and support you. Tam is a wonderful choice for guidance and answers, i don't think you could get a better person. We are all here for you!!!!
  • Lisabeth
    Lisabeth Posts: 268
    Options
    I really enjoyed reading all of the replys/posts! This is great.....GREAT MOTIVATION.
  • TamTastic
    Options
    I want to hire you Tami:blushing: Are you willing to come to Illinois? Im a great cook...I do laundry AND windows....ok well if you come I WILL do windows.....:laugh:
    You're funny!! :laugh:

I have thought of doing this for a living.......as a nutritionist or something! :wink:
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Thanks Jeannie!! :flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Very informative. Thanks. Just a quick question, so you don't do "low fat" you eat regular fat?
    Hey! Glad it helped!

I do buy SOME things low in fat but I guess my point is that fat is as important to your diet as anything else is. That's why they are called "essential fats". And too often we get into the frame of mind of "Fat-free" when it's not about that.....but more about the kinds of fat you eat and the amount.

I used to buy nothing but chicken breast. Then I realized that chicken thighs are good too (even if they contain more fat), if I just watch my portions! And I would avoid any dishes that had a certain amount of fat but then again, I realized as long as I am within my daily fat range, I am ok and fats are good! :)

And to be honest, sometimes a small amount of "REAL" food hits the spot so much more than "low fat" foods. And indulging sometimes isn't going to ruin your plan.

Does that makes sense??
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

Hey Missy!!:angry::laugh: I was gonna say THAT!!:bigsmile: :laugh: :laugh:

um...:blushing: Super Great Post Tam...I'm sure many folks will benefit by this info... that's one of many things I like about your style...you're all about sharing what worked/works for you with new folks and MFP veterans alike!

So glad to have you here!!:smooched:

FC:heart:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    I just wanted to add that

1) Tam is right (so far that ive seen, Tam is ALWAYS right!!!!! :happy: ). She is at the other end of the road that we are all heading down, jumping up and down, yelling, "I can see you!!! This way!!!!!" and just seeing her posts, well, they are always an inspiration.

2) I don't know that its this way for everyone, but what i found out was that, for me, the first ten pounds were the hardest. It was real work to change my eating habits and get up off my butt and exercise, and generally be good and not turn to food for comfort solace and stress release. The first couple of months nearly killed me. I was in the mindset, oh i have worked so hard and i've only lost 5 lbs or 8 lbs -- I'll NEVER get there, i have sssooo far to go!!! and i have fallen off the wagon many many many times. (I fell off so hard in Savannah i bounced all the way to Tybee Island). and every time i fell off, it was hard to get back up and get back on that wagon. But weight loss -- which really means changing habits -- its not something that just "happens". Just like anything new, it is hard at first and as you go along, doing the things you need to do gets easier. It might take a week for some people, it might take months for others (it took me months!!!) Right now I am down 30+ pounds from my initial weight. For the first time in YEARS, i feel that weighing less than 200 pounds is a reachable goal. When i first started, i hated watching what i ate. Now? I can't finish a meal, period -- not what most people would consider a "normal" meal and its almost easy to stay within my calorie range. When i first started to the gym, oh, i hurt and cudn't do much. Now i can see myself doing better and better each time i go, and I make it there 4-6 times a week (six is the goal, but sometimes stuff just happens). Some days i eat too much, but i've learned not to beat myself up over it. Somedays i eat too little, and i don't worry about that either. Really, this whole thing is a process of learning new habits that are better for you than old habits, eating and moving in a way that is best for your body and your health. If it's hard at first -- well, that's good, because it means you are moving away from the wrong habits toward the right ones. And for a long time, it might not seem like much fun. it might seem hard and frustrating and maybe even undoable. but it is doable, and as you go along, it gets easier and better. You'll find out that when you eat too much, or the wrong stuff, your body will react to it very unhappily. That's better motivation than any scale or clothing to me (I'm a big baby, i hate being sick). You'll find that its hard to eat more than you need, because your stomach shrinks. You'll find that you need to exercise because your body gets stiff or sore or complains otherwise because it likes moving and it needs to move. You just have to hang in there through the first month or so!

My suggestion to you is that you come here every day!!!! Make yourself responsible for entering your information, diet and exercise. That will help. (It is still such a thrill when I see that i have made my protien goal or fiber goal!!!!) Read the posts, make posts of your own. We will answer and support you. Tam is a wonderful choice for guidance and answers, i don't think you could get a better person. We are all here for you!!!!

Yet another incredible post! I'm so proud of you Lola:flowerforyou: You've come so far, when you share about your workout experiences, wagon time :wink: , and great suggestion on popping in everyday!:drinker: and the weight you've dropped...another YAY!!:drinker: :bigsmile:

I know for myself the more I stuck around when I joined up the more I found my own spot here on MFP.....I think that may be just what it takes to really get the groove of feeling comfy here...using the tools, making buds, sharing the tough times, and ALWAYS share the inspirational times....cause we love to cheer one another on!!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :bigsmile:

We just never ever know when someone may need just what we have to share:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :wink:

• Fitness_Chick
    Options

I have thought of doing this for a living.......as a nutritionist or something! :wink:

I think you'd make an excellent speaker....not that I've heard you speak:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :blushing: :wink: buttttttttttttttt.......you put your thoughts together so well when explaining....it's as if I'm actually sitting in front of you:drinker:

I say GO FOR IT GIRL!!:smooched:

• TamTastic
    Options

Hey Missy!!:angry::laugh: I was gonna say THAT!!:bigsmile: :laugh: :laugh:

um...:blushing: Super Great Post Tam...I'm sure many folks will benefit by this info... that's one of many things I like about your style...you're all about sharing what worked/works for you with new folks and MFP veterans alike!

So glad to have you here!!:smooched:

Thanks FC!! :happy:

I truly hope I am helpful!
  • TamTastic
    Options

I think you'd make an excellent speaker....not that I've heard you speak:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :blushing: :wink: buttttttttttttttt.......you put your thoughts together so well when explaining....it's as if I'm actually sitting in front of you:drinker:

I say GO FOR IT GIRL!!:smooched:

Wow thanks again!! What a cool thing to say!!

I can be like that Tony Robbins guy!! :wink: :laugh:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Hey! Glad it helped!

I do buy SOME things low in fat but I guess my point is that fat is as important to your diet as anything else is. That's why they are called "essential fats". And too often we get into the frame of mind of "Fat-free" when it's not about that.....but more about the kinds of fat you eat and the amount.

I used to buy nothing but chicken breast. Then I realized that chicken thighs are good too (even if they contain more fat), if I just watch my portions! And I would avoid any dishes that had a certain amount of fat but then again, I realized as long as I am within my daily fat range, I am ok and fats are good! :)

And to be honest, sometimes a small amount of "REAL" food hits the spot so much more than "low fat" foods. And indulging sometimes isn't going to ruin your plan.

Does that makes sense??

Yea it does....chicken thighs...NOW on my grocery list:wink: .... yep, before I read this particular post I was strictly a chicken breast girl....and thighs have a a good amount of meat on them so it's well worth the money...

Thanks for helping me break free of only doing the white meat chicken route...!!:bigsmile: :drinker:

• TamTastic
    Options
    Hey! Glad it helped!

Does that makes sense??

Yea it does....chicken thighs...NOW on my grocery list:wink: .... yep, before I read this particular post I was strictly a chicken breast girl....and thighs have a a good amount of meat on them so it's well worth the money...

Thanks for helping me break free of only doing the white meat chicken route...!!:bigsmile: :drinker:

Don't get me wrong, I love my chicken breast....so versatile........but it was getting BORING!! lol!

I love putting the chicken thighs on my george foreman grill and with a little salt and pepper and then brushing a little sweet baby rays bbq sauce on them!! YUMMMMMM!!! (The honey chipotle one is really good and has a kick which I like)
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

Don't get me wrong, I love my chicken breast....so versatile........but it was getting BORING!! lol!

I love putting the chicken thighs on my george foreman grill and with a little salt and pepper and then brushing a little sweet baby rays bbq sauce on them!! YUMMMMMM!!! (The honey chipotle one is really good and has a kick which I like)

adding to my list.......:laugh: :wink:
  • TamTastic
    Options

Yeah, a few people around here know of my love of Sweet Baby Rays BBQ Sauce. It's almost up there with my love of rolls! :blushing: :laugh:

Sometimes I just use the chicken as the vessel to bring it to my mouth! :wink:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

Yeah, a few people around here know of my love of Sweet Baby Rays BBQ Sauce. It's almost up there with my love of rolls! :blushing: :laugh:

Sometimes I just use the chicken as the vessel to bring it to my mouth! :wink:

OMG....almost up on the list next to the 'rolls'???????????????????!!!!!!:huh: :huh: :huh: :noway: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :bigsmile: