What do you do??

Options
I have a friend that wants to lose weight. She asked me how I lost 5 pounds and I told her I've been working out. She said she wants to workout, but then she says she can't because she works and by the time she gets home, she's tired. I understand about being tired. But i also think it's an excuse. I'm sure we have all made an excuse one time or another. She asked me what she can do and I've suggested some things, like take a little walk on her lunchbreak or when she gets home take a walk around her neighborhood. I've known her for a long time and I love her, but everytime we talk, she's always saying that, but yet won't do anything. I know she has to want to do this for herself, but yet I'm always repeating myself when she ask how I do it and how she can do and then going back saying she doesn't have time. I will always be here to support and love her, but i'm also tired of repeating myself over and over again. Sorry for the vent..

Replies

• Marcieb21
    Marcieb21 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is the exact same way. She always says she wants to lose weight, and get in shape but she is not willing to put in the work. Me and another friend work out together and we always invite her to come along, but there is always an excuse. sometimes it just drives me crazy. All I can do though is support her, but she has to realize that she needs to put in the work.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I used that too but I find that exercise increases my overall tolerance and makes me less tired. I am lucky enough to have my own stationary bike and elliptical and a room I can dedicate as a home gym. She needs to find her own motivation.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Tough Love: Point it out...

"You know, I have given you many suggestions. But what it really comes down to is you. You need to decide to do something, commit yourself, and not make excuses. The only thing stopping you is... you."
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I have friends like that too. I look at them and say 'I was a single Dad to 3 kids, with a 10hr a day construction job...and did it.'

Honestly, odus is right (again). Point it out...make her look at it, then tell her you're willing to do it with her, if you can. It'll soften the blow...but still get your point across.
  • angelicdisgrace
    angelicdisgrace Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    no matter how much you try to encourage if she's not ready to change her lifestyle it's just wasted words. wish your friend the best of luck.
  • IamRoJ
    IamRoJ Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Let's be honest. You can't do anything. I used to be the same way. I work, have two young kids and a hubby to look after, and travel. I did not think there was time. I finally hit a point where I had to make the time. I started waking early to do a C25K and a year later, exercise has now become something I schedule around, versus trying to fit it in. When she's ready, she'll do it, but in the meantime, you can't convince her. Sorry
  • odusgolp
    Options
    I have friends like that too. I look at them and say 'I was a single Dad to 3 kids, with a 10hr a day construction job...and did it.'

Honestly, odus is right (again). Point it out...make her look at it, then tell her you're willing to do it with her, if you can. It'll soften the blow...but still get your point across.

:blushing:
  • odusgolp
    Options

:blushing:
  • MsRobin_TheSequel
    MsRobin_TheSequel Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Nothing really new to add....but wanna say that quite simply, she is not ready. Yet. Sounds like she's still in the baby steps of the process. All you can do is let her know that you'll be there for her - when she's ready.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink....

I have a friend like this as well, she's always complaining about her weight(she's probably around 300) and saying she wants to lose weight so i told her about this sight and how it's been really helping me...but she has yet to join!