I am grateful.....

Options
So this year has had its up and its downs. We've all had rock bottom moments- with families, friends, economic issues, etc... and our weight.

That being said, I am a nurse in an Emergency Dept. and I had the great (dis)pleasure of working on christmas day. While the night wasn't so bad, it ended on a very sad but mind opening experience. A 33 year old man, who we worked on endlessly passed away. Being that this is what I do for a living, some days are good, some days are bad.... but this, this broke my heart. I have not stopped crying since last night, for the gentleman that passed, for his family, and also for my own reasons.

Some of us hide behind our weight, whether it is because we are uncomfortable, self conscious... or maybe for other reasons. It is times like this, that makes me feel very grateful for all I have. While I may have some extra pounds on me, I do have a lot going for myself. I need to learn to live, and not hide behind my imperfections, but embrace them. Everyday is a new a day, that I should live happily and healthy.

I will never forget what it felt like to tell that family, on Christmas that their loved one had passed. I'm sure every christmas I will shed a tear for that family. Because I do truly care, and that is why I am a nurse.

I want you all to love yourselves, your families, your friends.... and make yourselves happy, no matter what. Life is too short. I've fallen off track a little with the holidays and such, but I want to love myself. I want to know that in the end, I've done all I can do in life- for myself and others. I hope you all had a great christmas, and will bring in the new year with open arms and minds,

xoxo

Replies

• MellyG426
    MellyG426 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    So this year has had its up and its downs. We've all had rock bottom moments- with families, friends, economic issues, etc... and our weight.

That being said, I am a nurse in an Emergency Dept. and I had the great (dis)pleasure of working on christmas day. While the night wasn't so bad, it ended on a very sad but mind opening experience. A 33 year old man, who we worked on endlessly passed away. Being that this is what I do for a living, some days are good, some days are bad.... but this, this broke my heart. I have not stopped crying since last night, for the gentleman that passed, for his family, and also for my own reasons.

Some of us hide behind our weight, whether it is because we are uncomfortable, self conscious... or maybe for other reasons. It is times like this, that makes me feel very grateful for all I have. While I may have some extra pounds on me, I do have a lot going for myself. I need to learn to live, and not hide behind my imperfections, but embrace them. Everyday is a new a day, that I should live happily and healthy.

I will never forget what it felt like to tell that family, on Christmas that their loved one had passed. I'm sure every christmas I will shed a tear for that family. Because I do truly care, and that is why I am a nurse.

I want you all to love yourselves, your families, your friends.... and make yourselves happy, no matter what. Life is too short. I've fallen off track a little with the holidays and such, but I want to love myself. I want to know that in the end, I've done all I can do in life- for myself and others. I hope you all had a great christmas, and will bring in the new year with open arms and minds,

xoxo
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Oh madblu426, I'm so sorry you had such a bad day, I really feel for you and the family of the man that passed away.
    I am a carer in the community - not quite a nurse but even so, can appreciate the difficulty in telling family of their loss.
    It is never easy, but at this time of year too, it's even worse, take care of yourself hun.
    Just goes to show, we never know when our time will be up.
    xx
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder of what is important in this world. :heart: