Runners - Fuel Belt help?

Options
I have struggled to find a fuel belt that I like (or carries enough water) ... stumbled on this one recommended by Jeff Galloway. Has the ability to carry 32oz of fluid...

Wondering if anyone has tried this ... or if you have recommendations

http://www.ifitnessinc.com/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=15&page=1

Replies

• RunningAggie
    Options
    Of course you would post this the day after I finally bought one! At least it gives me something, but I will be looking to upgrade sooner rather than later.
  • TorridCutie
    TorridCutie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I use the amphipod belt that comes with four 8 oz. bottles. You can buy additional bottles and add them if you like. I carry 6 bottles on my long runs lately. I have been using it for a year and like it a lot.

Here's what I have:

http://www.onlineshoes.com/mens-amphipod-runlite-4-hydration-belt-green-gray-p_id185379?adtrack=gpa&term=Men's+Amphipod+RunLite+4+Hydration+Belt&offer=
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I got a 4-bottle Amphipod about 2 months ago, and I totally love it.
    http://www.amphipod.com/products/hydration/runlite-airstretch-4

Pros:
    *The pouch/pocket is big enough to hold my keys, ID and cash, smartphone, and chews or gels.
    *The bottle holders and pouch are moveable and removable. That way I can slide all the bottles to the back so my arms won't brush against them as I run. Or if I'm going on a short run and don't use all 4 bottles, I could take the extra holders off, not that I bother.
    *The belt fits snugly, but is totally comfortable. It's a little bulky, and I'm aware of it for the first 5 minutes of my run, but after that, I forget all about it.
    *I can get the bottles in and out of the holders easily with one hand. I needed 2 hands to slip them into the elastic holders on the other brands, but maybe that's just me.

Cons:
    *The only one I've thought of so far is that since the bottles snap into the holder rather than slide into an adjustable elastic pouch (like the Fuel Belt and Nathan belts), you have to use only their bottles if you need replacements. They're cheapo plastic bottles, but they're not inexpensive.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I bought something like this
    http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10931267&cp=3712723.3716503.3716694
    But mine holds more water.

I like it because it has a bunch pockets, I can put my phone, keys, and my ipod and energy gels in there and I still have another pocket open. It slides in and out great and I like that is behind me.

I really would like to get something like this so actually keeps my arms moving.

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4466490&cp=3712723.3716503.3716694
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a affordable version from Walmart, $13.77. It comes with 4 6oz bottle. Adjustable belt, and stay very good on my hips. Check it out:

ProForm Hydration Fuel Belt
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/ProForm-Hydration-Fuel-Belt/15627179

I found a store near by carry this item instead of ordering online.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Quite satisfied with the amphipod here. This is one of those things where you're strongly urged to try the thing on and see how it feels.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I have a Nathan belt right now, but am pretty sure it won't be enough for the half. Also, does anyone else have problems with their belts 'bouncing' when they run? So annoying, and usually ends up riding up to right under my boobs.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this thread. Thank you all who provided links.

So, do people generally not run with CamelBaks? Just too bulky/heavy/uncomfortable? I walk and hike with one a lot, and love them. But suspect it wouldn't be so comfortable actually running.

I plan to start Couch-to-5K as soon as I get below 200 (coming up), so this thread is great timing for me.
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I wear a fuel belt, 2 bottle. That being said... I usually don't need to bring water with me for anything 5k or shorter. On a 10k I may bring 1 bottle, depending on the heat. When I first started running/cycling I used to go through a ton of water but I found as I increased my endurance my need for water has gone down dramatically.

As far as the bouncing belt? I push mine way down onto my hips so its really snug.. doesn't move when I run.
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this thread. Thank you all who provided links.

So, do people generally not run with CamelBaks? Just too bulky/heavy/uncomfortable? I walk and hike with one a lot, and love them. But suspect it wouldn't be so comfortable actually running.

I plan to start Couch-to-5K as soon as I get below 200 (coming up), so this thread is great timing for me.

I found running with a camelbak can be... clunky. If you don't mind the feeling of water sloshing around on your back you'll be ok.
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I have a Nathan belt right now, but am pretty sure it won't be enough for the half. Also, does anyone else have problems with their belts 'bouncing' when they run? So annoying, and usually ends up riding up to right under my boobs.

I had a Nathan (shadow pak, I think?) belt before my Amphipod. It didn't come with a water bottle, but I added one on. That thing bounces like crazy--I have to tuck the bottle into the waistband of my pants to get it to stay put. I think that's because of the relatively thin adjustable clip strap. The Amphipod has a wide elastic band with velcro which, when secured tightly around my waist--not my hips--doesn't budge. Could be because I'm kind of "hourglass shaped" and my waist is a good bit smaller than my hips or ribcage, so it can't really ride up or down.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Amphipod belt where you can add & subtract bottles. On my really long runs I can take 40 oz 4-10oz bottles. I could probably fit 2 more max. It will also hold the 8 oz bottles too.