got cycling shoes and clips for my bike

Options
went for a ride today..first time ever clipped in and I didn't fall off...not even close! I was so glad. I really thought I would get stuck in them and fall over! It was much easier than I expected! Yeah!

Replies

• ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    went for a ride today..first time ever clipped in and I didn't fall off...not even close! I was so glad. I really thought I would get stuck in them and fall over! It was much easier than I expected! Yeah!
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Aren't the awesome!!! Now you can peddle more efficiently and use new muscles!

I had the bike tech loosen mine so much that they would almost fall out of the clip if I turned my foot too much. Thank goodness, cause I hadn't been on a bike in 15 years and was afraid to stop. :tongue:
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    They are fantastic! You're going to love them, they make you and the bike one.

Just a warning, the first fall often doesn't happen on the first ride as you are being careful. It's during one of the subsequent ones when you forget about the pedals and clips and have to stop suddenly and just try to put your foot out and can't.
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    I am not the most coordinated person so I was really scared. I think that is why I have put it off for so long.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I am not the most coordinated person so I was really scared. I think that is why I have put it off for so long.

You'll get used to them very quickly and they'll change your life! But the fall that comes from learning to ride with clipless pedals is almost as inevitable as the one(s) that came with learning to ride the bike in the first place. Unless you fall you didn't do it right.
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    So true about falling. My first real CRASH was at least a month after riding with clip-ins. I felt so confident and yep...that was it. I have battle wounds now. :grumble:
  • ohthatbambi
    Options

You'll get used to them very quickly and they'll change your life! But the fall that comes from learning to ride with clipless pedals is almost as inevitable as the one(s) that came with learning to ride the bike in the first place. Unless you fall you didn't do it right.

My first cycling fall happened when I tried to get my water bottle out of its cage while riding..I told you I am NOT coordinated. I fell over into someones yard...at least I fell the right direction! so far that has been my only fall...but there have been aLOT of almosts!
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Y'all are scaring me! I just bought a road bike this weekend, at some point I might get the clipon shoes, but for now, I'll just stick to regular shoes!!!
  • Cerabell18
    Options
    So true about falling. My first real CRASH was at least a month after riding with clip-ins. I felt so confident and yep...that was it. I have battle wounds now. :grumble:

My first fall was over a year after I got my shoes and clips. I got off the bus at the park & ride. The street I have to go up is also the same one that my bus goes up, and is also slightly uphill. I got on my bike and my shoes wouldn't clip in so I was losing my momentum and starting to slow down because I couldn't peddle. Right as I was going to put my foot down to keep from falling over, my shoe clipped in. I was basically at a stand still and just fell straight over...right in front of a bus packed with people I ride with everyday.:blushing: slightly embarassing :blushing: I ended up twisting my seat and my wheel. My husband had to come pick me up. I haven't had a "real" crash but this one did enough damage.