Questions for those who stick to 1200 calories a day.

Options
2»

Replies

• velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I started Feb 2011 and I eat 1200/day give or take less than 100. I do not eat my exercise calories back.. at the beginning I was losing 3-4lbs a week and now about 2 a week. I exercise every day and at present burn between 700-1000 calories a day.
    My diary is open if you would like to take a peek. I am doing carb cycling right now so my numbers might look weird but i have my goals in the notes box.

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]4925355.png[/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    I *try* to eat around 1,200 net, but I don't freak if it goes above that. I've lost 17 pounds in the past month and a half, so it works for me :)
  • nanaangelo
    nanaangelo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I always stay under my 1200 and do not eat my exercise calories back. I started in June and have lost 22 lbs. Today I had a "Piggy" day and went over my 1200plus my exercise. I'll regroup tomorrow. Most of the time I'm never really hungary after meals,but I always have snack calories. I do eat a lot of fruits and fresh veggies. I only miss big juicy burgers, real coke, and mexican food. I do have these things,but they are healthy, not good ole greasy. I really am glad of the changes I have made as I know my changes are lifetime changes. Good luck to everyone to reach and maintain your goals.
  • aoifebr
    aoifebr Posts: 92
    Options
    I maintained 1200 for a couple of months allowing myself 1 treat meal a week predominately low carb, very rarely ate back my exercise. When my weight loss started to slow down I decided to up my calories to 1400 as I already exercise for an hr 6 times per week so couldn’t make any changes there. I've moved into maintenance now (minor movements within the same range) I also tended to binge more, allow myself too many treats etc so I'm heading back to 1200 from today - Here’s hoping that gets rid of the last 10kg!! Good luck.
  • Rlbarrera
    Rlbarrera Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    what are exercise calories? I'm new to MFP and I'm learning as I go. I just started and my boot camp instructor said we need to eat 1200 calories
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I stuck to 1200 for 6 months, lost weight steadily the whole time, and have recently got back to 1200 after a few weeks off. I usually exercise about 1000 cals/day and eat back enough that my net is around 1000 calories - but I go up to a net of 1200 if I'm hungry.

I was hungry all the time for the first couple of weeks of the diet, but got used to not eating so much and kept losing weight after that.
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    what are exercise calories? I'm new to MFP and I'm learning as I go. I just started and my boot camp instructor said we need to eat 1200 calories

They are referring to the number of calories you burn when you exercise. There is controversy regarding whether you should eat the calories you burned. There are several threads that talk about eating back your calories and how MFP was designed so that you should eat them back. Do a search for "exercise calories" and you should come across some information from both sides. It will help you make your decision as to whether to eat them or not.
  • Nette_54
    Nette_54 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I started in March. There has not been a day I have gone over 1200 calories. I have been close a few times, but I usually eat about 1100. I have had a steady weight loss of 1.5-3 lbs a week. This is the first week I am experiencing a slow down. I exercise 500-700 calories a day and I do not eat them back. I have lost 64 lbs. I am never hungry although sometimes I just want to eat :)

If you are eating only 1100 calories a day then you are not eating enough food and that is why you are experiencing a slow down.......... Plus you are burning calories too so you don't have anywhere near enough calories. Your body has gone into " starvation mode " because it isn't getting enough energy so it is storing what food you are eating. I was told this by my dietitian and was told to eat more and it is now starting to work though I find it very hard to eat the amount of food to make up the 1200 calories a female body needs

Good luck