when 3500 cal doesn't equal a pound

Replies

• hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    You always find the most interesting articles.

Give me more!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Interesting.
    By the way even the 3500 cal/pound idea is only meant to apply for fat. One pound of muscle yields only 600 cals.
  • hush7hush
    Also, that simulator was pretty rad.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Also, that simulator was pretty rad.

yes, very cool.
  • servilia
    awww my browser won't open the simulator :(
  • hush7hush

Really?! Mine wouldn't at first, then I closed out of all the pop-ups and it worked.
  • taso42_DELETED
    Interesting.
    By the way even the 3500 cal/pound idea is only meant to apply for fat. One pound of muscle yields only 600 cals.

Now, if only I could build a lb of muscle with 600 calories...
  • servilia
    Interesting.

Now, if only I could build a lb of muscle with 600 calories...

Yeah I know!! It's definitely harder to turn that 600 into a lb of muscle than 3500 into fat! :sad:
  • servilia

Really?! Mine wouldn't at first, then I closed out of all the pop-ups and it worked.

Yeah the first time it crashed my browser, the second and third time it just went to an error page.
  • hush7hush

Yeah the first time it crashed my browser, the second and third time it just went to an error page.

Ugh. That sucks. ]: It's really pretty awesome.
  • servilia

I'll try the link at my work computer tomorrow :) Something to look forward to on Monday!
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    hmm interesting but it shows me with a body fat percentage of 30% at 130 lbs if i achieve my goal. that's way too high. it doesn't seem to take into account the possibility of lean body mass gains through strength training. but it's still pretty cool. according to it i can achieve my goal. but the cals are a bit lower than i'm eating right now. so i think i'll exercise more. lol
  • hush7hush

I'll try the link at my work computer tomorrow :) Something to look forward to on Monday!

Yes! Three cheers for work computers.
    I actually just emailed the link to myself so I can save it at home. [:
  • MadBabysMama
    MadBabysMama Posts: 373 Member
    thanks, cool simulator!
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    ...it says I need to eat more to weigh less

*sigh*
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    hmm interesting but it shows me with a body fat percentage of 30% at 130 lbs if i achieve my goal. that's way too high. it doesn't seem to take into account the possibility of lean body mass gains through strength training. but it's still pretty cool. according to it i can achieve my goal. but the cals are a bit lower than i'm eating right now. so i think i'll exercise more. lol

You can manually enter your BF% if you turn on Advanced Options
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Calculator only works in IE for me.

It seemed to overestimate my maintenance a bit (based on historical data and bodymedia fit numbers) but interesting anyway. I had to change activity multiplier to 1.55 instead of 1.70.
  • Wow!!! Thanks!!! I have a lot to think about and figure out now!
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Hmmmm thanks for sharing.
  • taso42_DELETED
    Calculator only works in IE for me.

It seemed to overestimate my maintenance a bit (based on historical data and bodymedia fit numbers) but interesting anyway. I had to change activity multiplier to 1.55 instead of 1.70.

It seemed to overestimate mine as well. Either that, or I have under-estimated it. What's this, another excuse to eat even more!? :laugh: