WHEAT OR WHITE???

Options
I NORMALLY EAT LIGHT WHEAT BREAD . ITS LIKE 35 CALS PER SLICE. BUT TODAY MY BOYFRIEND WENT SHOPPING AND BOUGHT STONE GROUND WHEAT INSTEAD OF LIGHT. I DONT WANT TO MAKE A FUSS ABOUT IT BUT I WAS WONDERING IF ITS BETTER TO EAT THE WHEAT BREAD THAT IS 90 CALS PER SLICE OR WHITE BREAD THAT IS 65 PER SLICE. I WOULD THINK THAT THE WHEAT IS MORE HEALTHY. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK? THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Replies

• ortizt27
    Options
    I NORMALLY EAT LIGHT WHEAT BREAD . ITS LIKE 35 CALS PER SLICE. BUT TODAY MY BOYFRIEND WENT SHOPPING AND BOUGHT STONE GROUND WHEAT INSTEAD OF LIGHT. I DONT WANT TO MAKE A FUSS ABOUT IT BUT I WAS WONDERING IF ITS BETTER TO EAT THE WHEAT BREAD THAT IS 90 CALS PER SLICE OR WHITE BREAD THAT IS 65 PER SLICE. I WOULD THINK THAT THE WHEAT IS MORE HEALTHY. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK? THANKS IN ADVANCE.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    nutrition wise, it's much better to have the wheat bread. whole grain bread is even better.

what nutrition in the forms of vitamins and fiber could be in bread that's 35 calories per slice?
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I think that it depends upon your health goals. If your primary goal is to lose weight then all things being equal the 65 calorie white is better. If your primary goal is to eat healthy whole foods then the 90 calorie wheat is better.
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Wheat bread is colored white bread. UNLESS the bag says 100% WHOLE WHEAT. So if you're asking which is better (that does not state 100% whole wheat) I would just check the calories, fat, ect and go with what ever is lower.
  • anony999
    anony999 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    For your health, whole wheat is absolutely better. Very nutritious, contains more fiber, vitamins, minerals, etc.

White bread spikes blood sugar levels (no complex carbs to smooth the flow).

There are so many varieties of bread... you can definitely find a whole wheat bread for the same (or less) calories than a refined white bread.

Hope that helps!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Wheat bread is colored white bread. UNLESS the bag says 100% WHOLE WHEAT. So if you're asking which is better (that does not state 100% whole wheat) I would just check the calories, fat, ect and go with what ever is lower.

Correct, unless the first ingredient is whole wheat flour you are eating dark white bread. But when it comes right down to it, calories aren't the be all end all of your nurtition goals, you need to educate yourself on all aspects of anything processed you are putting into your mouth so you can make the best decision for you!
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options

Correct, unless the first ingredient is whole wheat flour you are eating dark white bread. But when it comes right down to it, calories aren't the be all end all of your nurtition goals, you need to educate yourself on all aspects of anything processed you are putting into your mouth so you can make the best decision for you!

So true!