eating right while in school

Options
Hi,
I'm still new here, so this may not be the right place to post this... but I'm starting school up again this week, and the college is 30 minutes away. With only a 45 minute break for lunch... I am afraid I'll make bad food choices. Like eating the deep fried chicken and fries in the cafeteria. :(

I can't just run home for lunch, and can't think of anything healthy to bring with me to school to eat, without having a fridge to keep it in there. Help please?

Replies

• plutoniansmash
    Options
    Peanut butter and jelly!

Whole wheat bread, all natural peanut butter, low-sugar jelly. :) Doesn't need to be refrigerated. Take an apple or an orange (or any fruit!) with you on the side.
  • maryloo2011
    Options
    How are you getting to school? If you are driving, I see no reason why you couldn't put a cooler in the car and keep your food in it?
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    There are tons of options for bringing lunch! I like bringing a tupperware container of brown fried rice with egg, or shirataki noodles, or a chicken and lettucs wrap, or a wholegrain turkey sandwich... think about compact things you'd normally eat for lunch and seal them in a tupperware or wrap in saran wrap. None of its going to go bad if it's just in your bag for a few hours.
  • RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I know it's dorky... but ice packs are a great way to keep things cold!
  • maryloo2011
    Options
    Or even a soft-cooler lunch bag that you can throw ice in with your food... they are designed for that purpose....

(and then of course put the soft cooler in your backpack/bag if my earlier comment on driving wasn't an option)
  • stormwarning
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I think they all sound good. Keep them coming. The more ideas, the more variety I have to choose from the better I will do! I am one of those crazy people who needs alot of variance to keep me happy.

maryloo- I do drive, but I don't actually own a cooler. I do have a soft lunch bag, though...
    I guess I just didn't think about it.

I love brown fried rice... but I don't know if I could eat it cold! lol.

Everything I can think of is just so high in carbs.. even that wonderful PB&J! I don't want to cut out carbs by any means... but control them. they are my downfall. :)
  • idiocracy
    idiocracy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Make a salad and add tuna or boiled egg, or almonds. Or take everything you would put in a salad and make a wrap. One of my co-workers had this cool tupperware, I don't know where she got it from. It was for salad, but it had dividers for the veggies and the dressing separated, so the lettuce doesn't get soggy. Once you open it, then you can mix everything in. Also, I saw in TJ Maxx these containers that have lids filled with gel. You freeze the lid and it keeps your food cold.
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I dont mind brown fried rice cold, but if possible I definitely heat it up in a microwave (our cafe just got one free for students to use and it has improved my lunches immensely, lol)
  • stormwarning
    Options
    I saw in TJ Maxx these containers that have lids filled with gel. You freeze the lid and it keeps your food cold.

Wow, I love the idea of those containers! that's so simple to do. :)
    I love a good salad. don't know why I didn't think of that... that's a great option. thanks!

@sugarbone - hmmm. well if it tastes good cold....I may try it. I don't know if students can use the microwave that is in the cafeteria for free or not. I think it belongs to the business that comes in and makes the food... it's next to the nacho bar. I'll find out. That would make life so much better! lol :)
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    my favourite lunch:

2 slices wholemeal bread/1 wholemeal pocket pita/1 wholemeal wrap
    1 boiled egg, sliced
    50g sliced turkey breast
    1/8 of an avacado
    cottage cheese
    dijon mustard
    lettuce
    tomato
    olives
    cucumber
    onion

serve with carrot sticks. (i put the carrot and salad stuff in a seperate container and make it at lunchtime)
    that can easily be wrapped in glad wrap and packed in your bag.

then ill have a muesli bar and fruit for a snack