So confused about weight vs. size!!!

Options
I cannot wrap my head around this one! My two most recent pics are in lucky size 2 jeans that i've had since high school(never been able to fit them until now). But, i weigh 135 pounds! How is it possible to be a size 2 at that weight?! and this is the lightest I have weighed since high school too, so I'm pretty sure it's not from food or water weight really. a week ago i weighed 138 due to bloat and hormones. But seriously, how is that possible? now i'm scared to get to 120!

just fyi, i'm freakin short! 5'2" lol

Replies

• suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    its mad. im a size 4/6 (us sizes) and im nearly 20lb lighter and 4inches taller!

anyway just enjoy, youve obviously got good genes, and carry it well. You look fab x
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    You probably have more muscle mass now than you did in high school. Either that or you may be holding weight in other areas than you were before. Weight goals are not always the best way to go. You want that increased muscle mass. Trying for a certain size, measurements, or body fat percentage is a more ideal solution. Getting to 120 may do you more harm if you don't need to.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    We all carry our weight differently. I've always worn much larger sizes in pants than in shirts. It's possible that yours just isn't around the waist. It's also possible that a good deal of that weight is muscle.
  • SimplyDeLish
    Options
    It all depends on your body frame. I have a friend who is 5" shorter and weights 60 lbs more than I do - we wear the same size!

Go on how you feel...not the number on the scale. Muscle weighs more than fat...

You'll know when you reach your proper body weight!
  • Visser1971
    Visser1971 Posts: 131
    Options
    Here is a cool link that shows what previous people said - shape and size can be very different at any weight. Sometimes the pants size is also listed.

http://www.mybodygallery.com/

But in any case, good for you, you look great!

Cheers, Christy
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Not sure how true this is, but I heard that when you exercise you will most likely be wearing a smaller clothing size of someone else that weight who doesn't exercise.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    I Dont have a clue.i'm 5'2" 120 lbs and i am a size 4
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    When I was your age (sometime last century, mind :laugh: ) I was overweight by 5-10kg (11-22lbs) yet I could always fit 32" waist jeans and a M shirt. At Uni I was exactly the same and I used to workout 3-4 times a week.

If you are fit and toned and can fit your favouite jeans then that's fantastic. You've probably worked off some inches around your buns, thighs and hips and might be carrying the few extra lbs around the tummy (it's the hardest place to lose the flab! :frown: )

But I wouldn't stress about it and heep activce, follow a sensible, balanced eating plan with a weather eye on your daily/weekly cal intake and enjoy life! This isn't a race. There's no gold medal to be won. But you know you'e a winner because you can now fit your lucky size 2 jeans :happy:

BTW... 5'2" isn't short... you're just petite :flowerforyou:
  • kernowprincess
    kernowprincess Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I cannot wrap my head around this one! My two most recent pics are in lucky size 2 jeans that i've had since high school(never been able to fit them until now). But, i weigh 135 pounds! How is it possible to be a size 2 at that weight?! and this is the lightest I have weighed since high school too, so I'm pretty sure it's not from food or water weight really. a week ago i weighed 138 due to bloat and hormones. But seriously, how is that possible? now i'm scared to get to 120!

Hey not short! Beautiful things come in little packages...
  • jp09m
    jp09m Posts: 89
    Options
    dave4d is 100% right, its probably your muscle gains.

also, try learning to not be so obsessed with what the scale says because it means close to nothing. i wrestled in high school for 2 years at 140 and 12.8% body fat. stopped working out for a full year and was 190 and just below the obeese marker. now im a junior in college, 165, and only 11.3% body fat.

challenge yourself not to look at your scale for a full month. figure out what areas of your body you want to improve and work towards those goals.

p.s. im only 5'6"
  • girl08er
    girl08er Posts: 14
    Options

Hey not short! Beautiful things come in little packages...

hehehe. my family is russian, so i am like a midget among giants :)
  • alimac92
    alimac92 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I've always found weight and size odd regarding clothes.
    Especially with celebrities or weight loss people in magazines and telly.
    Their weight loss is good but they still look and weigh heavier than me. Then it's stated they are wearing smaller sizes than I wear.
    I find it hard to believe because I know I couldn't fit into the sizes the say without leaving deep gouges around my waist. Or my blouse front bursting open.

I have started buying smaller tops but it depends on the brand I don't want my wobbly bits on show so rarely buy tight fitting tops.
    I need to tighten my belt with my jeans but have not had the courage to buy smaller jeans yet. I hate that feeling in the changing room when clothing doesn't fit.
    So it's interesting to read the previous comments left on the reason for weight & size differences in clothing.

• unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to add that I currently have about five different pairs of pants in the exact same size. One of them literally will not stay up without a belt, two of them will stay up without a belt if I don't move around too much, and the other two will stay up just fine without a belt.