What's your best run ever?

Options
So, I was out running this morning, struggling up the hills and basically beating myself up for getting so out of shape, and I started to day dream about when times were different and running was easy (relatively speaking). I thought back to the two best runs of my life. The first was the 2003 Kansas City Marathon. I had trained hard for it, driven the course and visualized the effort during the preceding week and on race day I ran my perfect race and finished knowing I could not have gone any faster on the hilly course. The 3:48 time is still my personal best. The second was a simple training run one fall morning in Olathe, KS. The weather was perfect, the sunrise was perfect and the running seemed so effortless that I felt as though I was out sightseeing versus running sub 7:00 min miles. I wish I could bottle that run up and relive it again. Anyway, on a mission now to find the running legs and to get myself back in running form. What's your best run?

Replies

• Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I am not a "runner" yet but I am in the process of doing C25k. I did run a 5k two years ago in 33 minutes without training or running beforehand. I was doing it for a good cause and just wanted to participate. I power walked some of it. I am anxious to see how I do after I run one this year after doing the C25k. :)
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    i think my best run ever was the riverbank run 25k in may of 2011...it was my longest run i had done to date and i felt good pretty much the entire course :) beautiful scenery for the majority of the race and so many awesome motivating people surrounding for the whole race...i felt like i was going to die when i first finished, but that feeling lasted less than a minute and the sense of accomplishment and runners high hit and i smiled all day long :) i couldn't wait to sign up for another long race :)
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Props for being from Kansas City! I was born there, and my dad lived there. Also, major props for running in that humidity. My worse runs were always in the summer there, because I just couldn't stop sweating, haha.

My best run, though, was my first half-marathon. It was in Disneyland, and I'd never run a half before, so I was just so incredibly full of adrenaline, running around the park, and then the Angel's stadium. I didn't have a PR time, but I just remember finishing and feeling so incredibly proud of myself. I still treasure that run.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I did a 5k a few years back, and it was one of the most surreal experiences I've ever had. I'm still 'learning' how to run, so my times are never stellar. It was a brisk fall morning, and I was running with a couple of my friends. What made this run unique was the setting and the cause. A good bit of the race snaked through a cemetery (VERY quiet!), and the cause was the Maryland School for the Deaf. The whole race was completely silent. They asked the runners to not wear headphones or listen to music. The people cheering along the course were not yelling, screaming, or using any noisemakers. They were waving their hands in the air (jazz hands) - the sign language version of clapping. To run a race in utter silence, and experience, to some extent, how deaf people see/hear the world, was indeed an amazing experience.
  • spackham
    spackham Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Went from 220 lbs in Jan to a 5 k in May (half up hill half down hill) in 24.58. First race ever so it is my best.
  • Midnightsun04
    Options
    My best run was last fall with my college xc team. It was our long run day. It was POURING rain and lightning. It was a but chilly but we ran in just sport bras through the back county gravel roads. It was so fun and felt effortless. 8 miles was my total milage, but running through the rain in the mud made me feel like a superwoman! <3
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I did a 5k a few years back, and it was one of the most surreal experiences I've ever had. I'm still 'learning' how to run, so my times are never stellar. It was a brisk fall morning, and I was running with a couple of my friends. What made this run unique was the setting and the cause. A good bit of the race snaked through a cemetery (VERY quiet!), and the cause was the Maryland School for the Deaf. The whole race was completely silent. They asked the runners to not wear headphones or listen to music. The people cheering along the course were not yelling, screaming, or using any noisemakers. They were waving their hands in the air (jazz hands) - the sign language version of clapping. To run a race in utter silence, and experience, to some extent, how deaf people see/hear the world, was indeed an amazing experience.

That must have been a very touching experience as well. that is amazing, congratulations to you.
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have great run days where I can go forever, one day was when I was training for my half marathon and I just kept running, by the time I got home and tracked my run I realized I did 10.45 miles and at that point, knew I was ready to rock my first half marathon.

My first half marathon was an experience too, it felt so amazing to run through that finish line. :)