Measuring eggs to log with or without shell?

Options
The nutrition information for my eggs is measured in grams, and I always put the egg on my food scale and log it before cracking it into the pan. However, it just occurred to me - am I overestimating my cals since I don't eat the eggshell? Basically, should I weigh my eggs to log before or after cracking them?

I had this same issue with bananas before I found out you weigh them after peeling.

Replies

• nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    If you eat the shell, weigh it too.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    After
  • gunther0013
    gunther0013 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    There are many different variations of eggs already in the program. Just search for egg medium or egg large. Eggs have been the same since the dawn of time. No sense in measuring them.
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    You should always measure "without refuse." So you weigh a nectarine AFTER you pit it, Egg without shell, Banana without peel, Etc. It's the most accurate way to do it. I find a bowl to be handy for this purpose. I just "zero" the scale after I put the bowl on, then add whatever I'm trying to weigh. :) On the other hand you're increasing your calorie deficit without much thought. ;)
  • DiabeticAlien
    DiabeticAlien Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    The nutrition value listed on a carton of eggs is accurate for that brand of egg...and without the shell.
  • candicole007
    candicole007 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    If you eat the shell, weigh it too.

I almost spit oatmeal out on that one LOL

The egg carton is handy though - go by that, or I keep a clean paper plate on my scales like someone else mentioned also
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Is it me or does egg shell weigh next to nothing anyway? I hardly think it would make much difference!!
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Alright, thank you! I'm very anal about weighing all my food which is why it bothered me. Thanks again.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I dont' weigh eggs. I just count it like a medium egg or egg whites if that is what I use.
  • sapptabbatha8254
    sapptabbatha8254 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You should weigh food before you cook it. If your preparing eggs either scrambled, over easy, etc. you crack the eggs in a bowl for easy weighing. If you're cooking over easy eggs be careful not to break the yolks and then you can easily pour them into your pan completely intact and they will cook more evenly than if you were to crack them separately. Also, any time you weigh your food please be mindful of exactly what you will be eating of the food you are weighing. Another example would be a baked sweet potato. If you're not going to eat the peel of the baked sweet potatoe then you should scrape the sweet potatoe onto a plate and weigh just the sweet potato insides because the peel will add quite a bit more weight making your actual consumption of macros more than what you actually ate. It's important when tracking macros that you are careful not to over estimate your food calculations because you will be missing out on the nutrients your body needs.